Dynadot

question $100 offers on your domains. What's the Secret?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
What's the best way to get at least $100 offers on your domains @ marketplaces to get the ball rolling?

Ideas wanted. Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
I read somewhere that you had 6.000+ domains. Not sure if this is true but if it is, and you don't get at least a couple of $99+ offers, I think you should consider changing your strategy. I started with hand regging just like you and haven't had any luck, just a couple of XXX sales and offers. But when I started buying some domains on the aftermarket I began getting more offers.

Most offers I got came from GD and all domains I sold so far has been there.

I upload all my "brandable" domains on BrandBucket, those that don't get accepted I try with BrandDo etc. And all other domains is published on GD, Sedo, Flippa, Uniregistry, Afternic. Going to fix an Efty site too in a while.

It's all about quality. Quantity of crappy domains is just a waste of money and stressful when renewals comes around and you haven't received any offers.

•••
I buy .com domains that I believe a business would pay at least 1k+ for.
I list them all on my own site, sedo, afternic, uniregistry etc...
Most offers/sales since 2003 have happened from my own site as that's where the parking page sales link leads them to.
Combo of good quality domains and patience leads to high sales.
Emailing people shows your ready to sell and they weren't out looking for your domain so they generally will only buy if the price is cheap. Focusing on building the best portfolio you can, getting it listed in multiple venues and letting the offers flow in naturally puts those offers into it's already confirmed they want the domain now it's just up to negotiations to see if you have the "right" buyer on the line.
I've turned a $50 initial offer into $7500 before and I've ignored $50-$500+ offers as well as my starting point is generally high xxx as if I don't think a domain is worth at least 1k to a business I try not to own it. By the leads coming direct I obtain name, phone, email, ip etc... so little more info to decide if I counter or ignore low offers based on who the buyer is.
I buy from domainers but I never sell to them unless they pull out end user money.
Hoping for low offers to push things to auction generally won't pan out well unless your happy with xx-xxx as the odds of 2+ end users noticing the domain auction in the limited time frame would be rare and auctions only work if multiple parties are fighting for it.
I've waited years to turn $8 acquisitions into 1-10k+ but with each year only costing another $8 I can do that as a 3 year old domain $25 selling for $6500 is better than a 1 year old domain $8 selling for $100. You need good quality domains, distribution, valuation skills, negotiation skills and patience. Junk should be sold cheap or liquidated, there should be no rush on gems as the offer flow will continue on those.

Last edited:
•••
What's the best way to get at least $100 offers on your domains @ marketplaces to get the ball rolling?

no secret
you will always get $100 USD offers

thats actually the pain

•••
I'm not interested in $100 offers. Even if it gets the ball rolling how far will it go ?

•••
Perhaps there's a good chance it will sell for higher than $100?
$200 ? :xf.smile:
You have to make your time worthwhile. I don't sell in that range.

Auctions totally depend on timing, exposure and attendance (again: domainers...).
I'd rather accept a high offer from an end user right away, than bother with an auction that is going to be fueled by domainers.

Good names eventually get good offers.

•••
You don't need "connections" to get $100 offers, you need domains that don't suck. Simple as that

•••
Set the minimum offer to $100?

•••
True true.

I'm with you on the "good connections". I've always suspected this is how certain domains get high sold prices.

Gotta be "in the club".

Gotta be in what club to get offers over 100?? Buy or reg good domains have your nameservers pointed to a for sale page . You will get offers that's it. Therer is no other secret.

•••
@Avtar629

Writer shorter posts and the domain gods will give you $100 offers. :xf.wink: Oh and buy decent domains (y)

EDIT: In your case, I would definitely stop buying anything. If I remember correctly you have over 10K+ domains and if you have to ask this question then I think you're doing something wrong. Stop buying, stop writing long posts, just read, read, read.

Last edited:
•••
Buy good domains

This is key, buying "EMD" domains is not a good business model, when being offer domains that says "This domain has 22,000 exact monthly search volume", makes me click DELETE ... and actually I click the SPAM button so I don't get that garbage email ever again from that email, and hopefully gmail will mark all further emails from the offending EMAIL as spam in there SPAM system!!

Give me a domain that is the name of 20 different businesses, based all over the world, which makes it generic. That is worth $200 to $400 to buy as over the next 2 to 5 years, someone will buy it for $2k or more.

The key here is ZERO EFFORT to sell, other than time ... vs begging aka PI$$ING people off trying to sell domains that End Users really don't want, that you thought up and want a $100 for, when it is not a EUTD.

If you business model is to make a domain up and buy it for $10 then try to sell it for $100, is not a good business plan. The risk is way to high, spending a $100 on a decent/good/OK business name is worth the risk of 10 made up "brandable" $10 domains.

When the business model is to sell to other domainers, it is called MLM and MLM is a horrible business model for everyone except the product owner, which are the "registrars" and "registry" Transfer fees and escrow fee's and bank charge card fee's. Everyone makes $ except the domainer!!

Take Herbalife as a perfect example ...
www. google. com/ search?q=icahn+mlm+scam&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
If you have to say, your company or business is not a pyramid scheme, well, it is one.

Just my 2 cents worth.

End User Type Domain = EUTD

•••
1. I want $100 offers to turn into auctions ie. Sedo Free push to auction.
2. I expect $100 offers only on my best domains. not crap ones. So I would never waste trying to get $100 offers on my crap domains although I might give it a try.
Bad idea. That means you are going to accept the low amount of $100 as the reserve, minus Sedo commission ($60) = $40 net in your pocket. And if your best names cannot command higher opening offers, you're doing something wrong. Get a $1000 offer at least.
Auctions are unlikely to fetch high prices unless:
  • the domains are very liquid so many domainers will take part
  • or there is a large pool of end users ready and willing to pay $$$$ (but hardly anybody follows the auctions on the domain marketplaces, only domainers)

•••
Out of curiousity, how many names do you own at this point? I ask because $100 offers are a bit on the low side for your best names if you have x,xxx in renewals each month.
(this sounds terrible but it might be best to try to sell your entire portfolio for as much as you can get, and then reinvest that into 1-4 names that are killer.)

•••
Hah, that brought back memories. It worked really well for a while and helped start a ton of auctions. Then Sedo increased their minimum commission to $60 and people didn't want to risk pushing to auction for $69, so I shut it down and eventually sold the domain to Francois. This was also at a time when the only way to start an auction at Sedo was to have an offer (excluding events like GreatDomains) but now you can just pay (although it is expensive).

Last edited:
•••
First off thanks for the input.

Second. Wow! First person I've heard say that emd's essentially suck.

See that's confusing.

Especially when you read online about big corps owning tens of thousands of emd domains like Amazon and Johnson and Johnson and Microsoft does.

Also if you ask 100 domainers about end vs brandables most would choose emd hand over fist as a better investment.

Brandables = sounds great but only one in a million buyer
Emd = sounds good too but not as cool but many potential buyers.

Plus emd's are great for SEO purposes so I've read. Unless that has changed recently?

The business model of buying domains, take out "true" premiums, brandbucket is not true premiums.

Stove - com true "premium" name ... $50k minimum, if one of my clients owned that name.

Two word domains that people want to buy, for a company name people will pay $2k to $20k for, fairly easily and about 100 times per month with a portfolio of 50k domains.

What does microsoft really do with those EMD domains? Redirect to a product page...whoopie, great business model to sell to them...

Would you really call your company name something like:
"best fitness programs"

Really?? #19 search term in volume ... HORRIBLE Business name... if anyone thinks that would be there business name ... we will see them doing a Chapter 7 very soon.

Now if someone can "market" that name to sell ("bestfitnessprograms dot com") with so called stuff from ClickBank, that is called a affiliate program or indirect MLM type of mess, using search engines to drive traffic to a squeeze page etc BLAH BLAH BLAH ... if that is your business model my advise does NOT apply to you.

FitnessWeb.com is a great TRUE business name...NOT a million $ domain, <KEYWORD>Web.com sell everyday on expired markets for $30 to $200 and can sell for 2k to 20k maybe more.

example: BanWeb.com sold for $100 on gdaddy and RapidWeb.com got sold on FLIPPA for $6k...
used namebio to find my example quickly...so should you use namebio. :)

That is what I am trying to explain ... if you need more help let me know :)

•••

Ideas wanted. Thanks.

Best way? Having good names (not in relation to the quality of your names)

Besides,
Regular marketplaces, outbound marketing with a decent pitch and good connections.

•••
Buy good domains

True true.
Best way? Having good names (not in relation to the quality of your names)

Besides,
Regular marketplaces, outbound marketing with a decent pitch and good connections.

I'm with you on the "good connections". I've always suspected this is how certain domains get high sold prices.

Gotta be "in the club".

But the point of this thread was assuming the domains were mediocre to decent to borderline "suck".

What secrets do you guys have to get AT LEAST A $100 OFFER?

Any success?

Of course great domains sell themselves this is obvious. Let's exclude those domains for sake of conversation.

But as they say one man's garbage is another man's treasure.

As evidenced many times by "head scratcher" domain sales. Like whaaaaaaaaaaaaaat?

There are also aftermarket domains that are worth AT LEAST a $100 Investment by a buyer who believes it can sell for much higher.

And also there are domainers who regged domains using 99 cent and $1.99 specials.

Even if a $100 bid is all it gets that's still a great profit.

So let's hear it!

Any place online to promote on that nets great results?

•••
For maximum chances at an offer, list at multiple marketplaces and have the domain itself redirect to a page where interested people can make an offer.

I used to recommend emailing prospective buyers, but spammers have abused and ruined this strategy.

Last edited:
•••
Ideas wanted. Thanks.

Just put all offers under $100 on ignore...viola!

•••
Last edited:
•••
sometimes I don't think it's whether your domain sucks or not. That's always the go to assumption but I firmly believe it's just that Marketplaces are just so "overwhelming" by design. that way such marketplaces can "sell you" on the idea to buy featured listings.

it's like with any free to list site. Ebay or Amazon which ever. Free to list but without paying for featureds GOOD LUCK getting your product seen much less getting $100 offers.

Although I DO see a "Trend" or "Tendency" as I did it myself to "filter" all domains with BIDS.

Doing this will put the domains with the most bids on top of the list. 100 bids or 58 bids or 30 bids. etc etc.

Some won't go farther than page 2 after filtering like this. but most if curious might go down to the domains that only got 1 bid.

maybe they think there's an opportunity to snag a deal since it has only 1 bid? as opposed to the ones with high bids that's already up to $xxxx or $xx,xxx.

My point? A $100 bid is HUGE in bumping you up above ZERO bids.

Who here has ever not used Filter Bids on Godaddy or Sedo or Flippa?

Domainers are a busy bunch. No time to check out pages and pages of millions of domains.

Thee assumption is that "Someone" besides themselves has done some "homework" and has chosen to bid on these particular domains.

That I believe to some domainers is enough to say that these domains with bids and offers are "Worth a look". It's also almost like a Free Appraisal.

Let's be honest. There's no better appraisal "system" than an actual Bid. That's REAL. Concrete.

It says someone wants this domain enough to put a bid.

I call this the Lazy Domainer method.

lol

This is why I decided to ask this question about what's the secret to get that all so elusive $100 Offer.

Wanna know the Secret?

Check out the thread I created.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/sh...n-to-push-it-to-auction.1005683/#post-6037069

lol That's the SECRET. Namepros is the SECRET.

We as a COLLECTIVE should make $100 offers on our friends and neighbors domains on NP not for the purpose of Shill bidding but for the purpose of maybe taking the chance to Grab a domain maybe worth $xxxx or $xx,xxx in the future for only $100 (if no other bids).

I'm sure you will agree the more domain sales the better it is for all Domainers as a whole.

So give the thread above a look.

https://www.namepros.com/threads/sh...n-to-push-it-to-auction.1005683/#post-6037069

It goes without saying. Don't make an offer on a crap domain. Do your own homework and then make a bid of $100 on it because once you make that offer you are officially on the hook to buy it. No exceptions.

looks like you are trying to sell to domainers
then this forum here is a good start

next try flippa
if you want low offers

•••
I haven't read this whole thread. But you won't/almost never get any $100+ offers on crap domains. You need pretty good quality domains to get any $100+ offers.

you could try putting them up for auction on GoDaddy as make off with min bid $100. Then accept any min offers you receive. This is better than buy now, because it looks like you value the domain higher than $100. gives the potential buyer some warm feeling :)

•••
Register the 'right' domain at the 'right' time for the 'right' price and offer it at the 'right' marketplace for the 'right' price so that the 'right' person will see it at the 'right' time and will make the 'right' offer.

It's no secret that it's hard to match all those 'right' points together - but if you can do so, you will get offers even muuuch higher than 100.00 USD.

Last edited:
•••
We as a COLLECTIVE should make $100 offers on our friends and neighbors domains on NP not for the purpose of Shill bidding but for the purpose of maybe taking the chance to Grab a domain maybe worth $xxxx or $xx,xxx in the future for only $100 (if no other bids).

I'm sure you will agree the more domain sales the better it is for all Domainers as a whole.
Riiiiiiiiight. But isn't it something that has been tried before ?
Let me give you a tour down the memory lane :)
PushToAuction.com Helps Get Domains on Sedo™ Auction

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back