Dynadot

1 word dot com ending in 'ing' - What is the best auction platform to sell on

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

TwoWordComs

Established Member
Impact
Which auction platform should I use (GoDaddy, Flippa etc) to sell a one word dot com ending in 'ing' for the highest price? For your reference I was planning to set the auction with 'no reserve'.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For the past year, here are the results for dictionary.com ending in ING at a couple different popular venues where private sellers can list:

GoDaddy: 9 sales, $7593 total, $844 average
NameJet: 16 sales, $35655 total, $2228 average
Flippa: 9 sales, $26044 total, $2893 average
Sedo: 10 sales, $41474 total, $4147 average

But with sample sizes that small the data isn't terribly useful, and one outlier can really throw off the numbers. For example Sedo sold Swarming.com for $18k last summer and I don't think it was an auction. If you exclude that you're down to 9 sales for $23,474 or an average of $2,608. Flippa had During.com which went for $15k in January, if you exclude that they're down to 8 sales for a total of $11,044 or an average of $1,380. The other two didn't have any big outliers.

I would rank the venues like this for dictionary names:

NameJet
Sedo
GoDaddy
Flippa

But it also depends on the domain. If it is something related to tech or there's an affiliate program for it (like a product) Flippa might be best. If you're not planning on promoting it at all, it might not get noticed on NameJet and it is also hard to get them to approve you for a single domain. Sedo you have to pay to start an auction unless you get it in GreatDomains, so there's a cost/risk there.

Hard to say, probably doesn't make too much of a difference unless it is a killer name.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back