IT.COM

GoDaddy Auctions -- Discussion, Acquisitions, and Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I searched the forum and could not find a thread dedicated solely to Godaddy auctions, which seem to be heating up lately.

I envision this thread as a place for discussion regarding YOUR sales and acquisitions, and general discussion about the auction venue itself, and, perhaps, some domain oddities that are popping up on the auction site, for example, high-priced domains that should be regfee.

:)

One caveat, though: for your own good, PLEASE do not reveal your auction win (or anyone else's, for that matter) until the domain has landed in your account because the original owner still has the option to renew it, and I know how vexing that can be. In other words, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts about your auction win, by all means tell us all about it.

I suppose that if an auction win is high profile, it's already out there, but, still...

Anyway, I'll start with three comments:

1. I won my first (and maybe last) intentional typo, and it's getting clicks (no $ so far, though): Forwx.com. I could not find a live TM on this term, but one never knows. I have mixed feelings about this one.

2. I accidentally clicked on a BIN that I didn't want (I wanted the one above it), but I decided to honor the bid anyway. Grrr..., so be careful before hitting the submit button. It's not in my account yet, so I can't really reveal it right now.

3. Currently, there's a weird .co domain at over $9,000, with three bidders duking it out. Again, I don't want to reveal what it is, but if you go to the most active auctions, it's number 1 (as of this posting).​

Mods, I hope this thread is okay.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Scam V.com and P.com are on there too, B.com with $40,000 buy it now the buy of the century.

We had just posted that E.com is on auction which is a reserved domain. Now it looks like GodaddylogoV.com is also on auction https://auctions.godaddy.com/trpItemListing.aspx?miid=108656633

B.com is listed with a $40,000 buy it now https://auctions.godaddy.com/trpItemListing.aspx?miid=108652822

P.com https://auctions.godaddy.com/trpItemListing.aspx?miid=108652789

Obviously these are bogus and will lead to a lot of people having a moment of grandeur, people already asking Go Daddy are these real ?

http://www.hybriddomainer.com/2013/06/looks-like-go-daddy-needs-better-auction-controls.html

•••
•••

Those L .coms have disappeared from my watch list, LOL.

Go Daddy really needs to create an algorithm to stop such nonsense.

•••

Yec.com, an expiring auction, is at $80,005, with 20 bidders.

Sigh...another "appraisal"/transfer-out scheme?

•••

Yec.com, an expiring auction, is at $80,005, with 20 bidders.

Sigh...another "appraisal"/transfer-out scheme?

Must have been a system flaw. Now the bidding is at $3300 which seems about right.

•••

Picked up Cubea [dawt] com.

Some of you may have been bidding against me (sorry), but I really have a good feeling about this one.

"Cube" domains (in .com) + 1 L are hard to get (all seem to be regged).

•••
An alt spelling Cuba, best of luck with it Jennifer.

•••

I love the way when someone transfers an expired name out of Godaddy (after someone else has won an auction on that name), the name almost always goes into privacy mode.

Guilt? Fear?

The name in question is Spacell.com, transferred to Namecheap under privacy. It was a BIN domain, so I would not be buying it on the aftermarket. Good luck with that.

I look forward to the day when this practiced is stopped. It's one thing to transfer a name out before it goes to auction, but these #&*$%$#$ are time wasters and end up costing others money (interest that could be earned).

Meanwhile, I plan to reveal every name that I lose in this manner (unless the owner has paid the premium--pain enough, I suppose).

Rant over for now.

•••

I love the way when someone transfers an expired name out of Godaddy (after someone else has won an auction on that name), the name almost always goes into privacy mode.

Guilt? Fear?

The name in question is Spacell.com, transferred to Namecheap under privacy. It was a BIN domain, so I would not be buying it on the aftermarket. Good luck with that.

I look forward to the day when this practiced is stopped. It's one thing to transfer a name out before it goes to auction, but these #&*$%$#$ are time wasters and end up costing others money (interest that could be earned).

Meanwhile, I plan to reveal every name that I lose in this manner (unless the owner has paid the premium--pain enough, I suppose).

Rant over for now.

Yea it happens to me all the time and it sucks!
I always wait to pay for the auction at the last minute, about 60hrs after the close of the auction so if it does get renewed or transferred out I try to avoid having to wait for a refund.

But sometimes they pull that transfer trick just hours before it is supposed to enter into my account and that really chaps my hide :td: >:(

It just happen to me recently with CougarSingles.com and PotParty.com >:(

•••
MsDomainer said:
It's one thing to transfer a name out before it goes to auction, but these #&*$%$#$ are time wasters and end up costing others money (interest that could be earned).

This is a legitimate practice condoned by both GoDaddy and ICANN. You should not be venting your anger out on the Registrants, who are perfectly entitled to do this. You should be venting your anger on GoDaddy and ICANN who both allow this to happen. But I fear to fix this might be no more auctions at all, without major overhaul of the drop timetable, since the original Registrant is entitled to renew at the Registrar, or transfer away ,within 45 days of expiry. Which I don't see happening any time soon. The transfer away is a new rule. Presumably because too many people complained to ICANN that not being able to transfer away, even if expired, was too onerous on Registrants. There are always unintended consequences when you try to be fair and change the rules.

Last edited:
•••
This is a legitimate practice condoned by both GoDaddy and ICANN. You should not be venting your anger out on the Registrants, who are perfectly entitled to do this. You should be venting your anger on GoDaddy and ICANN who both allow this to happen. But I fear to fix this might be no more auctions at all, without major overhaul of the drop timetable, since the original registrant is entitled to renew at the registrar, or transfer away ,within 45 days of expiry. Which I don't see happening any time soon. The transfer away is a new rule. Presumably because too many people complained to ICANN that not being able to transfer away, even if expired, was too onerous on Registrants. There are always unintended consequences when you try to be fair and change the rules.

I know its a legitimate practice but what I would like to see Godaddy do is end the auction on or closer to the 45 day mark so that way we can avoid the owner renewing or transfer the domain after we pay for it and that way we could avoid dealing with waiting for a refund and also obtaining ownership faster after winning the auction.

Yea I know, wish in one hand, spit in the other and see which one fills up first.
;)

•••
IIRC, there was a change in the transfer-out policy a few months ago, but I can't find an announcement of it.

it dealt with transfers and the redemption period.

anyone recall or have a link?

•••
The transfer away is a new rule.

You mean transferring out expired domain names? That rule has actually been there for years, but that (he he) many people just did not know about it.

IMHO, it's a matter of deciding on one's priorities (i.e. Go Daddy not letting former registrants reclaim expired names within X period), making them crystal clear, and sticking to them. As you said, though, there are (potentially) unintended consequences, anyway.

IIRC, there was a change in the transfer-out policy a few months ago, but I can't find an announcement of it.

it dealt with transfers and the redemption period.

anyone recall or have a link?

These?

http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-28feb13-en.htm

http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/consensus-policies/errp

Trying to transfer RGP domain names hasn't been allowed ever since. It's just recently that point was made clear, maybe because some people didn't realize (or believe) it.

•••
You mean transferring out expired domain names? That rule has actually been there for years, but that (he he) many people just did not know about it.

IMHO, it's a matter of deciding on one's priorities (i.e. Go Daddy not letting former registrants reclaim expired names within X period), making them crystal clear, and sticking to them. As you said, though, there are (potentially) unintended consequences, anyway.

These?

http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-28feb13-en.htm

http://www.icann.org/en/resources/registrars/consensus-policies/errp

Trying to transfer RGP domain names hasn't been allowed ever since. It's just recently that point was made clear, maybe because some people didn't realize (or believe) it.

Under the new agreement, it looks as though registrants have 30 days to renew (according to ICANN), NOT 45 days.

So if Go daddy starts an auction on day 25, then the transfer out period should end 5 days before auction end.

PERIOD.

•••
I am on a roll :(

Just lost another one to a renewal, Mateurs.com >:(
I could have sold it as a typo for a really nice price over at GFY.

I won it 2 days ago but I hadn't paid for it yet since I always wait to the last minute to pay for them so at least I don't have to wait for a refund.
Now if the auctions had started 5 days later then they would have renewed it 3 days before the auction ended and I would not have been involved.

Oh well, on to the next one.

•••

Under the new agreement, it looks as though registrants have 30 days to renew (according to ICANN), NOT 45 days.

So if Go daddy starts an auction on day 25, then the transfer out period should end 5 days before auction end.

PERIOD.

they are saying the minimum should be for 30 days for redemption period, not stating there is a maximum of 30 but this has nothing to do with what happens with domains in godaddy auctions. domains sold though godaddy auctions never actually go into a real redemption phase unless they don't sell. only then do they actually go into redemption. even though godaddy calls it redemption and charges a fee for it, its not actually in redemption status, just the grace renewal period. you can't auction domains in true redemption status. what the are trying to do is stop some smaller shady registrars who take domains away either right after expiring or not offering a redemption grace period.. so this has nothing to do with what godaddy does although you could argue that domains sold though auctions have no true redemption period so technically they should allow registrants to redeem the domain for 30 days after the auction ends.

---------- Post added at 03:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:58 PM ----------

Guilt? Fear?

Rant over for now.

you should be so lucky that domains are even allowed to be auctioned off. if the registrars actually followed icann regulations, they wouldn't have auctions.

Last edited:
•••
so this has nothing to do with what godaddy does although you could argue that domains sold though auctions have no true redemption period so technically they should allow registrants to redeem the domain for 30 days after the auction ends

Oh the horror that would be D-:

you should be so lucky that domains are even allowed to be auctioned off. if the registrars actually followed icann regulations, they wouldn't have auctions.

Without out auctions my business would be cut in half D-:
I love my auctions :xf.love:

•••

Shaking my head...

There is currently a domain on auction that is well into three figures, and I'd be surprised if it were worth more than $50.

I'm not going to name the domain because of that damn renewal possibility (which may happen anyway), but it's a clear case of the lemming effect.

•••
I see this all the time at GoDaddy, there is really no shortage of buyers there, it seems like. People will get into bidding wars for the most random names you yourself would never buy, lol.

Shaking my head...

There is currently a domain on auction that is well into three figures, and I'd be surprised if it were worth more than $50.

I'm not going to name the domain because of that damn renewal possibility (which may happen anyway), but it's a clear case of the lemming effect.

•••
It's correct to say that GoDaddy has become much more competitive over the last couple of years. You can't win a domain with an initial $12 bid anymore. Heck. Even if your bid is $50, you will almost always be outbid. It's a dog-eat-dog world out there in GoDaddy-Land. This is very inconvenient for me since auctions are closing from 12 midnight to 5 AM over here in Asia. And I like my beauty sleep :) I used to win most of my domains bid on with my proxy bid. But now I'm losing 80-90% of them.

Shaking my head...

Last edited:
•••
What is the longest time you waited for a buyer to send payment to Godaddy for a domain purchase?

I sold a domain on Monday at Godaddy on a Buy Now and it is for over $3k so Escrow.com is being used, but the buyer has yet to send payment.

On Godaddy the Status says - Escrow - Parties Accepted
On Escrow.com the Status says - The Buyer has to select a payment method

This is the first time for me that a domain has sold for over $3k on Godaddy auctions. I have sold domains before for over $3k but just not on Godaddy.

So if anyone here has sold a domain for over $3k on Godaddy, how long does a buyer have to send payment?

Thanks

•••
What is the longest time you waited for a buyer to send payment to Godaddy for a domain purchase?

I sold a domain on Monday at Godaddy on a Buy Now and it is for over $3k so Escrow.com is being used, but the buyer has yet to send payment.

This is the first time for me that a domain has sold for over $3k on Godaddy auctions. I have sold domains before for over $3k but just not on Godaddy.

So if anyone here has sold a domain for over $3k on Godaddy, how long does a buyer have to send payment?

Thanks
it all depends on the buyer. could be 1 day could be a few weeks. i think at the one month point if godaddy hasn't been able to contact the buyer they cancel it. i wouldn't worry yet though. its typically a slow process.

•••

Thanks

I thought they did that inhouse now? And $5000+ goes to Escrow.com.

"If the domain name sells for less than $5,000 we process the transaction in-house through Transaction Assurance. We process domain names selling for $5,000 or greater through Escrow.com, an escrow service that subtracts processing fees

f r o m t h e s e l l e r 's p r o c e e d s."

One of those 4 words is causing NP not to let my post go thru for some reason, so I had to put spaces in between them.

Last edited:
•••
Why is escrow being used I thought they changed to $4999 and under they would handle.

Paul Nicks who said that it was now raised to $5,000 for Escrow.com. This makes the process easier as it requires less steps for sales up to $4,999.

Transaction Assurance — The buyer pays for the domain name at Go Daddy Auctions, and then Transaction Assurance verifies the funds within five days. The seller can contact Go Daddy Auctions at (480) 505-8892 to verify the buyer has made payment.

---------- Post added at 02:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

We were thinking alike JB

•••
Thanks guys,

I never said what the price was of the sale was, I found something on Google that had said the threshold was $3000, maybe it is $5000 now.

I was just using the $3000 threshold that I found as an example, the actual sale is much higher the $5k

EscrowSH1.jpg

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back