IT.COM

GoDaddy Auctions -- Discussion, Acquisitions, and Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I searched the forum and could not find a thread dedicated solely to Godaddy auctions, which seem to be heating up lately.

I envision this thread as a place for discussion regarding YOUR sales and acquisitions, and general discussion about the auction venue itself, and, perhaps, some domain oddities that are popping up on the auction site, for example, high-priced domains that should be regfee.

:)

One caveat, though: for your own good, PLEASE do not reveal your auction win (or anyone else's, for that matter) until the domain has landed in your account because the original owner still has the option to renew it, and I know how vexing that can be. In other words, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts about your auction win, by all means tell us all about it.

I suppose that if an auction win is high profile, it's already out there, but, still...

Anyway, I'll start with three comments:

1. I won my first (and maybe last) intentional typo, and it's getting clicks (no $ so far, though): Forwx.com. I could not find a live TM on this term, but one never knows. I have mixed feelings about this one.

2. I accidentally clicked on a BIN that I didn't want (I wanted the one above it), but I decided to honor the bid anyway. Grrr..., so be careful before hitting the submit button. It's not in my account yet, so I can't really reveal it right now.

3. Currently, there's a weird .co domain at over $9,000, with three bidders duking it out. Again, I don't want to reveal what it is, but if you go to the most active auctions, it's number 1 (as of this posting).​

Mods, I hope this thread is okay.

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I want to ask about godaddy auction pricing, when there is no one bid

From $12 they will go down to $11 and stay for 24 hours

Some I see going to $10, $9, $8 how is the timing ? Do they stay for 24 hour ?
$ 5 is last price. Do all domain will reach $ 5 or no (if no one bid)

Thank you

•••
I want to ask about godaddy auction pricing, when there is no one bid

From $12 they will go down to $11 and stay for 24 hours

Some I see going to $10, $9, $8 how is the timing ? Do they stay for 24 hour ?
$ 5 is last price. Do all domain will reach $ 5 or no (if no one bid)

Thank you

Yes, 24 hours for each cycle.

If no one snaps it up, a name will go through this cycle, UNLESS it's renewed by its owner.

If you really want a domain, don't wait for the BIN price to drop because if it's any good, someone will snap it up.

But if you're so-so about it, then it might pay to wait.

Last edited:
•••
Thank you ms domainer.

yes the domain is so so. so I can wait :)

•••
Anyone see 9911.com sell today for $56,001 with 93 bids?

I just cant see those four numbers being worth that much.
911 yes but 9911?

:-/

•••

Yeah, 9911 is a puzzle.

I bet it gets renewed.

•••

Yeah, 9911 is a puzzle.

I bet it gets renewed.

I bet the runners up are trying to contact the owner now and trying to make a deal.

•••
I win an auction (expired domain)
and the domain already transferred to my account. transaction complete on 12 October 2013.
suddenly this morning godaddy staff contact me with this letter:

This is to inform you that the domain name ISLAMDAILY.COM was awarded to your account in error. Due to the error, we will be returning the domain to the original registrant and will refund you for the purchase. We do apologize for any inconvenience this misunderstanding may have caused.
I would like to offer a goodwill courtesy gesture, the two year registration of any .com, .net or .org domain name. I am extending this offer as a courtesy for any misunderstanding in this situation. If you would like to accept this courtesy, please feel free to contact me at [email protected] to coordinate this new registration.
Again, we apologize for the inconvenience.

Regards,
Pam Bunn
Domain Services Manager
GoDaddy LLC

What should I do ? I already email them and refuse their offer.
Thanks

Last edited:
•••
and the domain already transferred to my account. transaction complete on 12 October 2013.

This is to inform you that the domain name ISLAMDAILY.COM was awarded to your account in error. Due to the error, we will be returning the domain to the original registrant and will refund you for the purchase. We do apologize for any inconvenience this misunderstanding may have caused.
I would like to offer a goodwill courtesy gesture, the two year registration of any .com, .net or .org domain name. I am extending this offer as a courtesy for any misunderstanding in this situation. If you would like to accept this courtesy, please feel free to contact me at [email protected] to coordinate this new registration.

Regards,
Pam Bunn
Domain Services Manager
GoDaddy LLC

Thanks
Wow that is F'd up!

How long have you had it in your possession?
More then 3 days?
Because if it is passed the 45th day of expiring then that is your domain.

•••
That's a crazy story. The only thing I can imagine is that the original owner must have paid the renewal and the payment somehow fell through the cracks.

I'm not sure what you can do since I'd assume that your maximum damages would be the value/cost of the domain. $100, right? On the other hand, if you invested money in developing a site for it then maybe they'd be liable for that. Sounds like you need an attorney to chime in.

Regards,
Pam Bunn
Domain Services Manager
GoDaddy LLC

Thanks

•••

Regards,
Pam Bunn
Domain Services Manager
GoDaddy LLC

Thanks

This is unacceptable. How does one award a domain "in error"?

First of all, Go Daddy is skirting the ethical edge by offering expired domains for auction before the original registrant's rights have expired. And I suppose that those of us who participate are also complicit (yours truly included).

But, supposedly, Go Daddy does not award the domain to the buyer until the rights of the owner have expired. The fact that Go Daddy awarded you the domain means that the former owner's rights have expired and that right of ownership has passed to you. I suggest that you read TOS to see what your rights are.

If this is an important domain, you might have to engage a domain lawyer.

This is distressing, indeed.

:p

•••

This is unacceptable. How does one award a domain "in error"?

First of all, Go Daddy is skirting the ethical edge by offering expired domains for auction before the original registrant's rights have expired. And I suppose that those of us who participate are also complicit (yours truly included).

But, supposedly, Go Daddy does not award the domain to the buyer until the rights of the owner have expired. The fact that Go Daddy awarded you the domain means that the former owner's rights have expired and that right of ownership has passed to you. I suggest that you read TOS to see what your rights are.

If this is an important domain, you might have to engage a domain lawyer.

This is distressing, indeed.

:p

I know even if we are awarded the domain on the 41st to the 45th day that they can still take it away, after the 46th day the domain belongs to the new owner and they should Not be able to take it away.
I would like to know what day it was when GD sent him the email.

•••
from Godaddy's website :
A registrant can renew an expired domain name at no extra cost up to day 18. If they renew an expired domain name anytime between day 19 and day 42, they must also pay an $80.00 redemption fee. The domain name cannot be renewed after day 42.
Day 43 We assign the domain name to the winner of the expired domain name auction, backorder, or closeout. If there are no bidders, we return the domain name to the registry.

_____

So is it 42 days or 45 ? I don't understand , another question here guys : how much time it takes to get a refund from Godaddy for renewed expired domains ?

•••
If there is a bid you get to day 45 and you can get an auth code and transfer it out, for $8 at another registrar.

I have seen 7 to 10 days for a refund.

•••
If there is a bid you get to day 45 and you can get an auth code and transfer it out, for $8 at another registrar.

I have seen 7 to 10 days for a refund.

Thanks :) , still not clear , so i if win an auction they will handle it to me on the 43th according to Godaddy , why everyone says a 45 days window ? Is there a difference between domains went to closeout and domains with at least 1 bid ( expiring auction , no closeout ) ?

•••
The only thing I can imagine is that the original owner must have paid the renewal and the payment somehow fell through the cracks.

That's my thought, too. And alas, folks, that can and does happen even with advances in technology and what-not.

That's why registrars, or online service providers for that matter, put disclaimers and limitation of liability clauses in their contracts. Until a court of competent jurisdiction voids Go Daddy's contract, which means suing and seeing it through, unfortunately their contract stands.

What you can at least do, utomo, is ask Go Daddy what exactly caused the (so-called) error. Also unfortunately, they can't be forced to reveal proof of that error short of suing them.

Life sucks sometimes. That's why we make the best and most of it.

•••
I already email the person at godaddy asking about more info.
And also the support.
But still no reply up to now.
I already say that i can not accept that.
Because transaction already complete 6 days ago.
I will wait godaddy response

Last edited:
•••

Go Daddy usually awards the domain on day 41 or 42 after expiration. Auction starts at day 25 and continues to day 35. The winner must wait until day 42. (Sometimes the domain is awarded at day 41).

If they award the domain at day 41 or 42 (October 12), and you received the email at day 46 or 47 (October 17), then Go Daddy is in the wrong, even according to their own terms of service.

You need to make a lot of noise. Go to Go Daddy's Facebook page -- I have found this tactic to be VERY effective, even more than emailing my rep (who is very helpful, but nothing is public, which is what you want). Complain. Specify your exact situation. Quote back their TOS to them.

Just get it out there in public for everyone to see. Go Daddy is very concerned about its professional reputation, so someone is likely to get back to you ASAP.

Good luck and tell us how it turns out.

•••
This is what godaddy reply.

Dear Utoma,

According to our Universal Terms of Service below we have the right to remove the domain name from your account:
10. ADDITIONAL RESERVATION OF RIGHTS
Go Daddy expressly reserves the right to deny, cancel, terminate, suspend, lock, or modify access to (or control of) any Account or Services (including the right to cancel or transfer any domain name registration) for any reason (as determined by Go Daddy in its sole and absolute discretion), including but not limited to the following: (i) to correct mistakes made by Go Daddy in offering or delivering any Services (including any domain name registration), (ii) to protect the integrity and stability of, and correct mistakes made by, any domain name registry, (iii) to assist with our fraud and abuse detection and prevention efforts, (iv) to comply with court orders against you and/or your domain name or website and applicable local, state, national and international laws, rules and regulations, (v) to comply with requests of law enforcement, including subpoena requests, (vi) to comply with any dispute resolution process, (vii) to defend any legal action or threatened legal action without consideration for whether such legal action or threatened legal action is eventually determined to be with or without merit, or (viii) to avoid any civil or criminal liability on the part of Go Daddy, its officers, directors, employees and agents, as well as Go Daddy’s affiliates, including, but not limited to, instances where you have sued or threatened to sue Go Daddy.
I can either refund you or offer you 2 years registration of any .com, .net or .org domain name, as a courtesy.
Regards,
Pam Bunn
Domain Services Manager
GoDaddy LLC

so they want to Offer me 2 year registration in exchange for my payment $ XXX + renewal fee.
is this new way of Godaddy making money ?

I think I must create new thread (so it will see by more people) and also posting on their FB

•••
This is what godaddy reply.

so they want to Offer me 2 year registration in exchange for my payment $ XXX + renewal fee.
is this new way of Godaddy making money ?

I think I must create new thread (so it will see by more people) and also posting on their FB

I don't think your interpretation is correct. They will reimburse you the money you spent on the domain PLUS give you 2 years free registration. You're going to get your money back for sure.

•••
I don't think your interpretation is correct. They will reimburse you the money you spent on the domain PLUS give you 2 years free registration. You're going to get your money back for sure.

First i think same as you, discobull
But after reading last email, OR: it means it is option. it is OR instead of AND
CMIIW

•••
But after reading last email, OR: it means it is option. it is OR instead of AND
CMIIW

No way. I'm sure you will get your money back. If they kept your money they would be committing fraud. If you're concerned about it, write her back and just ask "how long will it take for me to get a refund on islamdaily.com?".

•••
CMIIW

You are right. Ask for a full refund. And act fast, or they will decide for you.

•••
Thanks.
But i did not accept the refund offer.
I want to fight for my right.
If i say i want the refund, it is same as i agree to release the domain name.

Godaddy must explain what happened, why after the transaction complete.
And they can not only offering refund + 2years

•••

Go Daddy usually awards the domain on day 41 or 42 after expiration. Auction starts at day 25 and continues to day 35. The winner must wait until day 42. (Sometimes the domain is awarded at day 41).

If they award the domain at day 41 or 42 (October 12), and you received the email at day 46 or 47 (October 17), then Go Daddy is in the wrong, even according to their own terms of service.

You need to make a lot of noise. Go to Go Daddy's Facebook page -- I have found this tactic to be VERY effective, even more than emailing my rep (who is very helpful, but nothing is public, which is what you want). Complain. Specify your exact situation. Quote back their TOS to them.

Just get it out there in public for everyone to see. Go Daddy is very concerned about its professional reputation, so someone is likely to get back to you ASAP.

Good luck and tell us how it turns out.

referring to godaddy registration agreement section 2(B), the owner can renew domain even if the domain in Registry Redemption Period. it means 12 + 30 + 30 = 72 days.

The Renewal Grace Period is currently twelve (12) days - normal renewal fee

Godaddy Redemption Period 30 days - Redemption fee $80 + renewal fee

Registry Redemption Period 30 days - Redemption fee $80 + renewal fee

this is the tricky part of godaddy expired auction. auction will end 42 days after expired, while previous owner still can renew it 72 days after expired.

•••
referring to godaddy registration agreement section 2(B), the owner can renew domain even if the domain in Registry Redemption Period. it means 12 + 30 + 30 = 72 days.

The Renewal Grace Period is currently twelve (12) days - normal renewal fee

Godaddy Redemption Period 30 days - Redemption fee $80 + renewal fee

Registry Redemption Period 30 days - Redemption fee $80 + renewal fee

this is the tricky part of godaddy expired auction. auction will end 42 days after expired, while previous owner still can renew it 72 days after expired.

If you do not redeem your domain name prior to the end of the 30-day redemption period Go Daddy may, in its sole discretion, delete your domain name or transfer it to another registrant on your behalf.

If your domain name is deleted, the Registry also provides a 30-day Redemption Grace Period during which you may pay Go Daddy a redemption fee and redeem your domain name ...

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back