Dynadot

GoDaddy Auctions -- Discussion, Acquisitions, and Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I searched the forum and could not find a thread dedicated solely to Godaddy auctions, which seem to be heating up lately.

I envision this thread as a place for discussion regarding YOUR sales and acquisitions, and general discussion about the auction venue itself, and, perhaps, some domain oddities that are popping up on the auction site, for example, high-priced domains that should be regfee.

:)

One caveat, though: for your own good, PLEASE do not reveal your auction win (or anyone else's, for that matter) until the domain has landed in your account because the original owner still has the option to renew it, and I know how vexing that can be. In other words, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts about your auction win, by all means tell us all about it.

I suppose that if an auction win is high profile, it's already out there, but, still...

Anyway, I'll start with three comments:

1. I won my first (and maybe last) intentional typo, and it's getting clicks (no $ so far, though): Forwx.com. I could not find a live TM on this term, but one never knows. I have mixed feelings about this one.

2. I accidentally clicked on a BIN that I didn't want (I wanted the one above it), but I decided to honor the bid anyway. Grrr..., so be careful before hitting the submit button. It's not in my account yet, so I can't really reveal it right now.

3. Currently, there's a weird .co domain at over $9,000, with three bidders duking it out. Again, I don't want to reveal what it is, but if you go to the most active auctions, it's number 1 (as of this posting).​

Mods, I hope this thread is okay.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Picked up the two below in the Closeouts on GoDaddy. Just transferred into my account last week and I already have traffic and some income while they are parked.

<edited for privacy>

Not sure if either will be an issue with my parking company yet, but I LOVE THEM!!

Last edited:
•••
Might be an issue with a certain company.

•••
•••
Care to enlighten me of the possible issues via pm?

Thanks!

Here is a most recent example of Apple protecting their brand LINK against individuals registering domains with their trademarks in them. I haven't looked into it today, but I believe in the past they have also gone after typos of their brands.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

I like the "iphone settings" domain, you might want other input from someone more knowledgable about using others trademarks and if it would be ok to use like this, but it would be great as a tutorial site, I don't think you can monetize it though.

Last edited:
•••
Just received MobileSitePros and Mobile-Connect (both .coms) from the closeouts after about a week of waiting.

•••
Here is a most recent example of Apple protecting their brand LINK against individuals registering domains with their trademarks in them. I haven't looked into it today, but I believe in the past they have also gone after typos of their brands.

---------- Post added at 08:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 AM ----------

I like the "iphone settings" domain, you might want other input from someone more knowledgable about using others trademarks and if it would be ok to use like this, but it would be great as a tutorial site, I don't think you can monetize it though.

Thanks for the link and input. I read some of the trademark info about domains a few weeks ago and didn't think that my use was in bad faith or would cause confusion. The iphone settings domain could have valuable info about the settings and other features of the phones. My intentions are not malicious, but if it becomes a problem I will have to address it.

Anymore info or insight from others would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

•••
Thanks for the link and input. I read some of the trademark info about domains a few weeks ago and didn't think that my use was in bad faith or would cause confusion. The iphone settings domain could have valuable info about the settings and other features of the phones. My intentions are not malicious, but if it becomes a problem I will have to address it.

Thanks.

Yes, you're inviting TM trouble with those domains.

As of late, Apple has been very aggressive in slapping typo domains of its products with UDRP filings.

My advice: If you're new to this business, read up on the industry before buying any more names.

•••
Yeah, I would stay away from trademarks. With something like: "I like the "iphone settings" domain,"

You could just register something along the lines of phone settings, smartphone setting etc. and then make a page for Iphone settings and still get traffic for that search. Just keep the TM out of the domain, it's just inviting trouble.

•••
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I guess I will get rid of them.

Taking offers via PM!!! :) LOL

•••

Thanks.

You will forever be branded as a squatter if they come after you, can you please tell us why you decided to register these names, what you found unique about them, outside their protected marks?

•••
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I guess I will get rid of them.

Taking offers via PM!!! :) LOL

Passing off a trademark to another member is just as bad if not worse then owning just the name. Get a grace delete or just chalk it up as a learning lesson and drop the name.

Just some helpful advice ;)

Blake

•••
You will forever be branded as a squatter if they come after you, can you please tell us why you decided to register these names, what you found unique about them, outside their protected marks?

I don't want that for sure.

1) Didn't realize it was an issue until after I bought them and then started reading comments on a couple of forums about people saying stuff about Trademarks. I assumed when I bought them since ipone wasn't really iphone, that it was alright. Also, when I bought iphone settings, I assumed that I could develop into a site about iphone related settings, accessories, apps, etc. I guess I didn't see a problem with it. Until now.

2) I thought they were cool names and since they were in the closeouts on GoDaddy that someone accidentally let them slip through the crack and I scored a good deal. Newb learning experience.

3) I will see if I can get them taken care of with GoDaddy. First thing is to remove them from my parking company.

Question??
So, do typo issues only apply to Trademarks?
I own another typo of a generic term, as an example: plummber dot com (not my name just an example)

•••
Ok guys only a few hours left and some great .us domains up for grabs in the GoDaddy expiring auctions.

Wrestling.us
Cloud.us
Toy.us
Pixel.us
Printers.us
Fights.us
Bow.us

and many more. Seriously US residents need to check this out some absolute bargains here!

•••
Many more than just these, thanks Dave. If anyone follows these to the end, would be appreciated if you could post the results. Thanks in advance :)

Ok guys only a few hours left and some great .us domains up for grabs in the GoDaddy expiring auctions.

Wrestling.us
Cloud.us
Toy.us
Pixel.us
Printers.us
Fights.us
Bow.us

and many more. Seriously US residents need to check this out some absolute bargains here!

•••
If anyone follows these to the end, would be appreciated if you could post the results. Thanks in advance :)

All .us

401kplan - $755
Catch - $320
Toy - $1560

I wouldn't be surprised is a lot of these get renewed.

•••
All .us

401kplan - $755
Catch - $320
Toy - $1560

I wouldn't be surprised is a lot of these get renewed.

Sigh...

I agree.

A lot of owners are using these auctions as an appraisal tool.

•••
You are incorrect.

This is a massive .US portfolio expiration.

I have been following it for the last 10 days. Every domain of value was held by the same person and registered 10 years ago.

I will have a comprehensive write up and sales total on my blog later today.

---------- Post added at 07:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

Highest name so far:

cloud.us

$8,505

•••
You are incorrect.

I have been following it for the last 10 days. Every domain of calue was held by the same person and registered 10 years ago.

I will have a comprehensive write up and sales total on my blog later today.

If Whois is correct, NOT the same person holds all these.

One owner is in jail (I did my research), due to be released soon, maybe already out, so his portfolio could still be renewed.

The domain I got has another owner, which may be the person you're talking about.

•••

If Whois is correct, NOT the same person holds all these.

One owner is in jail (I did my research), due to be released soon, maybe already out, so his portfolio could still be renewed.

The domain I got has another owner, which may be the person you're talking about.

ok "MOST" of the names were held by the same person. Almost all the expirations dates are consolidated or similar.

IMO chances are extremely slim to renew the names...

Last edited:
•••
You are incorrect.

I have been following it for the last 10 days. Every domain of value was held by the same person and registered 10 years ago.

Many people have been following this for days and we are all aware of what it appears to be.

Nobody is 'incorrect'. Nobody knows what will happen with these names yet.

Last edited:
•••

In any case, this will be an interesting time in .us history.

•••
Many people have been following this for day and we are all aware of what it appears to be.

Nobody is 'incorrect'. Nobody knows what will happen with these names yet.

Thats funny... because bidding didnt even pick up until Dave posted it for the first time on namepros... Within 3 minutes bidding exploded 20 fold...

I would say only a few people really noticed it for what it was.

•••
Thats funny... because bidding didnt even pick up until Dave posted it for the first time on namepros... Within 3 minutes bidding exploded 20 fold...

Most people bid in the last hours and minutes, anyway.

That Cloud.us bidding is just plain crazy (IMHO).

I'm thinking I paid too much for my win...

I have also been following these drops for days and placed my bids in the last minutes, except for one backorder that I had placed five years ago when, as a newb, I still thought GD backorders mattered.

Does "Green" ring a bell?

:tri:

•••

Bidding should never pick up until right before closing. Of course there will be a surge in bids when auctions of good names are posted on popular forums, but, nobody that has been watching these names would throw up bids early.

•••

Since we're jumping the gun and revealing wins during redemption week:

Review dot us = $1,406 (not my win).​

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back