NameSilo

GoDaddy Auctions -- Discussion, Acquisitions, and Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I searched the forum and could not find a thread dedicated solely to Godaddy auctions, which seem to be heating up lately.

I envision this thread as a place for discussion regarding YOUR sales and acquisitions, and general discussion about the auction venue itself, and, perhaps, some domain oddities that are popping up on the auction site, for example, high-priced domains that should be regfee.

:)

One caveat, though: for your own good, PLEASE do not reveal your auction win (or anyone else's, for that matter) until the domain has landed in your account because the original owner still has the option to renew it, and I know how vexing that can be. In other words, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts about your auction win, by all means tell us all about it.

I suppose that if an auction win is high profile, it's already out there, but, still...

Anyway, I'll start with three comments:

1. I won my first (and maybe last) intentional typo, and it's getting clicks (no $ so far, though): Forwx.com. I could not find a live TM on this term, but one never knows. I have mixed feelings about this one.

2. I accidentally clicked on a BIN that I didn't want (I wanted the one above it), but I decided to honor the bid anyway. Grrr..., so be careful before hitting the submit button. It's not in my account yet, so I can't really reveal it right now.

3. Currently, there's a weird .co domain at over $9,000, with three bidders duking it out. Again, I don't want to reveal what it is, but if you go to the most active auctions, it's number 1 (as of this posting).​

Mods, I hope this thread is okay.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Still, I can't count how many times I've seen a bunch of domainers fighting over xfdq.com, but very decent keyword or brandable stuff passes without much interest, but for a single bid in the last 3 minutes, or even clears the auctions and makes closeout.

Agreed... People seem to rather buy a lottery ticket than something that can be flipped quickly.

•••
I've picked up some nice domains on closeout in the past. Also bid on a few some of which I sold for a nice profit within days of it being moved into my account. I haven't used them for a while, but a large chunk of my portfolio came from those auctions.

The most I have paid for a name in their auctions was mid $xxx

ExpressRates (dot) com and AuthenticBlues (dot) com are two of my favorite auction wins and the age of the domains made the deals even better :)

•••

ForexNYC.com has just landed in my account.

Low exact search but high CPC.

So now I have my two "lottery ticket" forex domains.

•••
Ok, some recent ones from GD, all .com.

Some brandables
germanmarketplace
liberalviewpoint
sportsdom
commonsayings

orientalshorthair - cat breed, will get a dog or cat breed all day long

blaxploitationfilms - could be a niche movie site, brief review, affiliate link to dvd/blu ray [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_blaxploitation_films"]List of blaxploitation films - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

some I bought to make niche sites
kazakrugs - got this because I've made good money over the years on rugs
binarywatches - will be great for a niche site, goes along with my other watch domains, aviationwatches, surfwatches

one that I got for a buy now, very low
lesbiancinema

Last edited:
•••
What are those auctions with a starting price of $10 rather than the usual $12? Are these auctions for domains which have had backorders placed on them?

•••
What are those auctions with a starting price of $10 rather than the usual $12? Are these auctions for domains which have had backorders placed on them?

Yes, that is the way that I have understood those $10 bids.

•••
Yes, I fairly positive that is the case.

•••

Yes those are back orders. If someone else bids, you can raise your bid and only pay the amount over the $10 bid for the back order. Example: Back order a domain with a start bid of $10. Other people bid on the domain and you put in the winning bid of $105. You would then pay only $95 and that's it. The back order includes the one year renewal.

•••
Rather than requesting or stating the need for such threads.. why not just create them? You are empowered.

Start with Cuba Libre!

Ok, you are right bro, i will start one
have more domains which i bought recently.

•••
I enjoy using this platform, Godaddy has no shortage of names and there's always deals to be had. They often have a nice selection of com, us, info, biz, etc.
I bought voipr.com there for $20 and flipped it a week or so later for $1,000
I had my first bidding war there for a three letter .net, I spent low X,xxx (most I've ever spent on a single domain)
Looking at whois info of names I didn't win, I lost many auctions to Jason Newby, on random names like whyamihere.com, stupidstories.com , that guy :lol:

•••
Sheisty is now in my account, the .com of course. Had a lil minor bidding war on that one. I can imagine an interesting site with that one.

•••
Godaddy backorder lost again.
I wanted Snoob.com which dropped today.
I have one backorder left which i move from one name to another to get rid of it, but Godaddy ALWAYS loses :D lol
Don't know what to do with it.
I think i have to chose a crap name so that Godaddy wins.

•••
Just got CleanGrid.com into my account. Surprised it lasted long enough to get to the closeouts.

•••
Very good names were up for auction today imo...

•••
For you .US lovers out there.. Toy.us is on GoDaddy expired auction..

Sweet! :)

Yes that's right.. Toy.us

•••
I got CortonaVillas, PromCards(both .coms) in the gdd closeouts.

Last edited:
•••
Just got an email that one of my auction wins had been renewed. Unfortunately, I also picked up the less valuable shortened version to make a pair and am now just stuck with that one. oh well

•••
Just got an email that one of my auction wins had been renewed. Unfortunately, I also picked up the less valuable shortened version to make a pair and am now just stuck with that one. oh well

if you bought the short version after the auction ended, call godaddy and ask for a refund. FYI, the number of days since registration might be a factor.

I got refunds for .net/.org after having a .com auction win reclaimed. it had only been two days, though.

•••

Yes, this happens far too often.

One of my "wins" was transferred out by the "owner."

Evidently, there is no financial penalty for doing this; I have emailed my rep about this problem, suggesting that Godaddy ought to be placing Domain Locks on ALL expired domains.

Very, very irritating.

To my way of thinking, "expired" means that the former owner no longer owns the domain, and, therefore, should have no right to transfer out expired domains.

•••
if you bought the short version after the auction ended, call godaddy and ask for a refund. FYI, the number of days since registration might be a factor.

I got refunds for .net/.org after having a .com auction win reclaimed. it had only been two days, though.

That's a good suggestion, but are you referring to hand regs after winning an auction? In my case, I won the auction and then picked up the shortened version once it hit closeouts, so, I don't think they'd refund me in my case (??)

Evidently, there is no financial penalty for doing this; I have emailed my rep about this problem, suggesting that Godaddy ought to be placing Domain Locks on ALL expired domains.

It really is frustrating, it's even worse at Dynadot where the domain can just be renewed (no need to even transfer) at a standard renewal fee after seeing how it does at auction. A transfer lock at Godaddy would be great, but I wonder if there is some type of ICANN rule preventing this..

•••
That's a good suggestion, but are you referring to hand regs after winning an auction? In my case, I won the auction and then picked up the shortened version once it hit closeouts, so, I don't think they'd refund me in my case (??)

...A transfer lock at Godaddy would be great, but I wonder if there is some type of ICANN rule preventing this..

I'm referring to domains won at auction.

About an hour ago, I talked to my account rep, and he told me that, according to ICANN rules, owners are allowed to transfer, without cost, expired domains up to 42 days after expiration, so a domain lock is NOT allowed (no matter what the Whois says).

I suggested that Godaddy consider starting the expired auctions later (currently, they start 25 days after expiration), say about 30-32 days after expiration. He said he would bring it up with management

That wouldn't eliminate the practice completely, but it would cut back on it.

I got the feeling that Godaddy is well aware of the problem and may be working with ICANN on this very issue.

I'm not opposed to grace periods, but I think 30 days is plenty. I also think auctions should be started later in the expiration cycle.

I'm sure that Godaddy hates losing all that auction revenue and that hefty redemption fee, probably more than I do having lost a great domain name.

:(

Well, it is what it is.

•••
Thanks for the update Ms. Domainer.

Just to clarify the first part of my last post was regarding cdboard's suggestion

•••
For you .US lovers out there.. Toy.us is on GoDaddy expired auction..

Sweet! :)

Yes that's right.. Toy.us

Thanks for the heads up. Same person has let mattress.us expire and it is in an expired auction also. Another heads up, Cloud.us is an expired auction as well if anyone here is interested.

•••

It's that time of year when .us owners begin allowing their premiums to expire.

;)

•••
About an hour ago, I talked to my account rep, and he told me that, according to ICANN rules, owners are allowed to transfer, without cost, expired domains up to 42 days after expiration, so a domain lock is NOT allowed (no matter what the Whois says).

It can all be resolved through the magic of a T&C at sign-up. Name.com (I think) says quite clearly when they take your name. A local signed T&C supercedes ICANN every time. imho.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back