NameSilo

GoDaddy Auctions -- Discussion, Acquisitions, and Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I searched the forum and could not find a thread dedicated solely to Godaddy auctions, which seem to be heating up lately.

I envision this thread as a place for discussion regarding YOUR sales and acquisitions, and general discussion about the auction venue itself, and, perhaps, some domain oddities that are popping up on the auction site, for example, high-priced domains that should be regfee.

:)

One caveat, though: for your own good, PLEASE do not reveal your auction win (or anyone else's, for that matter) until the domain has landed in your account because the original owner still has the option to renew it, and I know how vexing that can be. In other words, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts about your auction win, by all means tell us all about it.

I suppose that if an auction win is high profile, it's already out there, but, still...

Anyway, I'll start with three comments:

1. I won my first (and maybe last) intentional typo, and it's getting clicks (no $ so far, though): Forwx.com. I could not find a live TM on this term, but one never knows. I have mixed feelings about this one.

2. I accidentally clicked on a BIN that I didn't want (I wanted the one above it), but I decided to honor the bid anyway. Grrr..., so be careful before hitting the submit button. It's not in my account yet, so I can't really reveal it right now.

3. Currently, there's a weird .co domain at over $9,000, with three bidders duking it out. Again, I don't want to reveal what it is, but if you go to the most active auctions, it's number 1 (as of this posting).​

Mods, I hope this thread is okay.

:)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There is no point to backorder a domain which has bids.

•••
I'm surprised wemix.com expired, I remember hearing that one all over the radio a few years back. This was a huge community, not sure if it was abandoned or what, but $2505 seems low. Seems like soundcloud.com is where everyone is at today.

•••
I'm surprised wemix.com expired, I remember hearing that one all over the radio a few years back. This was a huge community, not sure if it was abandoned or what, but $2505 seems low. Seems like soundcloud.com is where everyone is at today.

Renewed.

Maybe ludacris is in jail and forgot about it for a bit....

Company is active - buying that name would be a problem imho.

•••
sne is now renewed till 2022.

•••
•••

What a shock.

D-:

Didn't see that coming [insert sarcastic tone].

i guess i'm late to the party but godaddy must really be losing a lot of money running the auctions like they do.

•••
i guess i'm late to the party but godaddy must really be losing a lot of money running the auctions like they do.
No. They make a lot of money.

•••

how much more could they be making if it were set up in such a way where people couldn't just contact those who have the expired domains? they are losing lots of money with this set up.

•••
how much more could they be making if it were set up in such a way where people couldn't just contact those who have the expired domains? they are losing lots of money with this set up.

Even when they lose they win(collect late fee) The winners overwhelm the losers. Godaddy a cash cow

•••
Even when they lose they win(collect late fee) The winners overwhelm the losers. Godaddy a cash cow

yeah 80 bucks is the same as 12k.

•••

I suppose that Godaddy figures that a 1,000 $80 redemption fees are better than one $25,000 auction.

They are banking on the fact that most owners don't know that you can transfer an expired domain without paying the redemption fee.

•••
•••

Yeah, they make a sh!tload of money!

I actually secure very few domains which I win at Godaddy expired auctions. Most of them gets renewed.

Over the past 3 months, I only got 6 out of the 19 domains which I won/thought I won. What I hate about it is that I had to spend time slaying other peeps to get the domain. That process alone is enough to drive you insane. :sick:

And not to mention, my money is with GD all the time and I could rather have participated in another auction which I was also interested in-but knew that I could not afford buying all those domains... and then I end up with jack. I think this is the most annoying part of it all.

This happens quite often. These days I just assume I haven't won the domain even if I won the auction. And this attitude spares me the grief when I don't get it. If the name appears in my account, then it's a real miracle.

:wave:

•••
yeah 80 bucks is the same as 12k.

You think that if they changed the rules this name would still have been in the auction?
Things happen the way that they do because that's the way that they can.

---------- Post added at 07:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:23 PM ----------

Over the past 3 months, I only got 6 out of the 19 domains which I won/thought I won.

You must choose well. I've had 2 names renewed ever (but I've only gone after about 10). Last one sucked too.

It almost makes me feel bad if I got it - like this wasn't even worth regfee?

•••
You must choose well. I've had 2 names renewed ever (but I've only gone after about 10). Last one sucked too.

I would like to think that I choose well, but it does not seem to be the case. Perhaps the owner didn't have money to renew on time or just wanted to see if anyone else sees value in the name? Or perhaps the guys who never won/missed the auction contacts the owner with an offer-which seems more likely, especially when you see whois updated with a new registrant. :|

It almost makes me feel bad if I got it - like this wasn't even worth regfee?

Trust me, sometimes I wonder this myself! :D But if the name is good, then it could just be your luck! (Maybe the owner died/hit the jackpot/just doesn't want anything to do with domains anymore?)

•••
I sold myself out, picked up gtlds . me because it was just sitting there.

•••
I only found out about the godaddy closeout/expiring auctions a few weeks ago.

So far i grabbed two super aged domains for a good price, such as MadBaoard.com (regged in 2001) to use for my forums and such, i like it.

I used to use a similar service by name.com but they've gotten so damn greedy, took their prices up from $29 to like $179 lol havent touched it since.

•••

They are banking on the fact that most owners don't know that you can transfer an expired domain without paying the redemption fee.

I don't think it's possible to transfer domain that needs $80 recovery to be active again.

•••
I don't think it's possible to transfer domain that needs $80 recovery to be active again.

It can be done. It is actually very easy to do.

Brad

•••

This may seem fantastic, but it's true. It's done all the time.

My account rep said that ICANN rules stipulate that one can transfer a domain out 1-45 days after expiration without paying any fee (except by the accepting registrar).

He's wrong, of course; there is no such direct stipulation in the Agreement between ICANN and registrars, but, evidently, Godaddy chooses to believe this.

The actual agreement says that registrars can delete, at their discretion, a domain 1 day after expiration! Of course, almost no one does this because it's not in their financial interest...

Godaddy releases the domain to buyers on day 42, so, theoretically, the new owner can lose the domain between day 42-45, even if she/he is using it.

I was shocked when I heard this.

I wish it weren't so, but it is what it is.

Really wacked.

•••
time to eat humble pie :) deleted because it contains misinformation only :)

Last edited:
•••
I sold a domain for mid $xxxx as GD premium sale.
That was in the beginning of May. The domain went out of my account the very same day.
Payment will probably be sent out August 15th(according to Godaddy).
Anyone else had to wait that long?
Its an extremely long time, a payment delay scam! :)

•••
I sold a domain for mid $xxxx as GD premium sale.
That was in the beginning of May. The domain went out of my account the very same day.
Payment will probably be sent out August 15th(according to Godaddy).
Anyone else had to wait that long?
Its an extremely long time, a payment delay scam! :)

It is up to 45 days from the end of the month it is sold in.

If your domain was sold in May, the check normally goes out around 30 days from the end of that month.

The check should have gone out at the end of June or early July. You should have it by now.

I am not a big fan of the GD payment time frame. I have talked to my account exec multiple times about it. I am not sure why much smaller companies like Escrow.com, Afternic, SEDO, etc. can all clear payment in a couple days but GD needs that long of a period.

Brad

•••

DU,

There is a big difference between the Agreement between ICANN and the registrars and a FAQ page, which directly conflicts with the ICANN agreement.

The only legal document is that Agreement, not some FAQ page that was written by God-knows-who. Period.

And I have read that document through and through, and there is nothing that stops a registrar from locking a domain once it's expired, except for some very specific instances, none of which have to do with ordinary expirations. (Most have to do with trademarks conflicts and court cases).

The so-called required grace period is a fiction, but one that registrars have adopted because it's in their financial interest, BUT they don't have to! (I happen to agree that the grace period SHOULD exist, just because of human nature, but that it should be limited to 30 days, imo).

I have posted the links in both this thread and another thread.

•••
GD probably have bad leadership, such bad service is not good for them and its obvious. Btw I requested it to be sent to Paypal. My rep was not responsive when I tried pressure them about time delay.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back