Dynadot

GoDaddy Auctions -- Discussion, Acquisitions, and Sales

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

I searched the forum and could not find a thread dedicated solely to Godaddy auctions, which seem to be heating up lately.

I envision this thread as a place for discussion regarding YOUR sales and acquisitions, and general discussion about the auction venue itself, and, perhaps, some domain oddities that are popping up on the auction site, for example, high-priced domains that should be regfee.

:)

One caveat, though: for your own good, PLEASE do not reveal your auction win (or anyone else's, for that matter) until the domain has landed in your account because the original owner still has the option to renew it, and I know how vexing that can be. In other words, don't count your chickens until they're hatched.

On the other hand, if you're having second thoughts about your auction win, by all means tell us all about it.

I suppose that if an auction win is high profile, it's already out there, but, still...

Anyway, I'll start with three comments:

1. I won my first (and maybe last) intentional typo, and it's getting clicks (no $ so far, though): Forwx.com. I could not find a live TM on this term, but one never knows. I have mixed feelings about this one.

2. I accidentally clicked on a BIN that I didn't want (I wanted the one above it), but I decided to honor the bid anyway. Grrr..., so be careful before hitting the submit button. It's not in my account yet, so I can't really reveal it right now.

3. Currently, there's a weird .co domain at over $9,000, with three bidders duking it out. Again, I don't want to reveal what it is, but if you go to the most active auctions, it's number 1 (as of this posting).​

Mods, I hope this thread is okay.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I love the closeout section which is where I get a large chunk of my names.

I agree with your reasoning although sometimes I get longer names or even three word names if they make complete sense.

Sometimes my knowledge in a particular area may help me see value where no-one else does.

Examples of acquisitions (all dot com)

Eau De Toilette For Men
Drape Rental
Burnham On Crouch
Chesapeake Guide
Austin Enterprise
Sunderland Estate Agent
Leeds Festival Tickets
Built In Electric Ovens
Arizona Motorhomes
Hot Quads
LPG Gas Cookers
Spider Crane Hire
Ambiance Beauty Salon
Natural Stone Designs
Whittier Florist
Fence Corp
Become A Florist
Kensington Dental Care

And similar ones that have sold

Freight Auditor
Norfolk Broads Boat Hire
Square Sinks
Boyd Productions
Krankenversicherer
Star Covers
Patrick Quinn
Lighting Audit
Lighting Audits
Weatherfield
Collar Up
Charity Angels
ME Designs

You have to be patient though - don't expect to sell them all in a few days or weeks. If you see long term value it is worth waiting for an end user sale (and if you get the name right in the first place, they will seek YOU out).

I promised you I would reveal this domain, so for better or worse:

TrueDad.com

Here is my reasoning (based on the above criteria)

• A .com

• Descriptive for established service, such as paternity DNA testing, and yet brandable and trademarkable. Could also be a Father's Day site

• Correctly spelled: YES

• Passes the radio test: YES

• Instantly memorable, especially when a potential customer, going 70 mph down the highway, passes a billboard with the term pasted on it: YES

• Positive connotation, although the product or service itself may not offer good news for some people (I'll explain this once I reveal the domain, ;) ): YES--Obviously, if someone doesn't want to be the biological father, then the connotation for him would definitely be negative.

• When you see the term, one instantly envisions possible end-users--LOTS of them: YES, at least I think so. However, others may feel this is debabtable.

• Intuitive two-worders, REAL words and REAL term (not manufactured): YES

• Short domains (8 letters or fewer, although some long tails might work as well): YES, 7 letters.

• If I have to ask myself, "How did this one slip by so many eyeballs?" then I'm pretty sure that it's a goodie. (It was on my watch list for days--I was sure it was going to be bid up, definitely surprised it was not): YES. I still can't believe this one slipped by. I have seen lesser terms go for bigger money. Again, it may be in the eye of the beholder, especially if one goes strictly by GAKT.

• Aged domains. I added this last because age in itself is not a strong factor (I have seen a lot of junky "old" domains in closeouts), but with the above factors, it's important: YES, 10 years old.

I would love to hear your take on this (not an appraisal, just discussion) AND your own discussion of your Godaddy aftermarket domains. I think it's always good to see what others think because we can all learn from other viewpoints.

Why do certain domains catch your eye, while others slip by?

:) :bingo: :kickass:​

•••

I was the winner of bookmobile.org (I paid mid-$xx, a good price), which I think is a perfect potential non-profit site for a consortium of libraries.

U.S. libraries still have physical bookmobiles (particularly in rural areas), but I also envision more virtual bookmobiles (book loan downloads), so I believe that the term will stick for the long term.

Last edited:
•••

I was the winner of bookmobile.org (I paid mid-$xx, a good price), which I think is a perfect potential non-profit site for a consortium of libraries.

U.S. libraries still have physical bookmobiles (particularly in rural areas), but I also envision more virtual bookmobiles (book downloads), so I believe that the term will stick for the long term.

Nice win! I came across that domain. It was in my watchlist. I believe it has some nice traffic too. ;)

:wave:

•••
OKCloud . com just came into my account :)

•••

Wan.com (on my watch list) sold yesterday for $670,005 at Godaddy auction.

Wow, just wow.

This was NOT an expiring auction, but a private seller, so there will be no renewal nonsense.

Whether or not the sale goes through remains to be seen.

;)

•••

Wan.com (on my watch list) sold yesterday for $670,005 at Godaddy auction.

Wow, just wow.

This was NOT an expiring auction, but a private seller, so there will be no renewal nonsense.

Whether or not the sale goes through remains to be seen.

;)

That is a lot of dollars! :D

But I think a name like that would sell close to mid $xxx,xxx. Perhaps end-users were fighting for the domain? Since the seller most likely contacted them to participate in the auction.

It's a nice name.

•••
Oops! I put this comment in the wrong thread. Sorry!

Last edited:
•••
That is a lot of dollars! :D

But I think a name like that would sell close to mid $xxx,xxx. Perhaps end-users were fighting for the domain? Since the seller most likely contacted them to participate in the auction.

It's a nice name.

Could had .wan for that.. :sold: :lol:

•••
Britt.com sold for $64,980 to lead the June monthly sales report at Go Daddy.

Overall sales were off over 10% vs May.

Source

•••

I'm going to post the domains I have won and then were transferred out by their "owners."

WantADot.com, $11.00 BIN, transferred to Moniker.

I really think Godaddy needs to do something about the transfer of expired domains. These numpties should have to pay that $80.00 redemption fee. Period.

Fortunately, it's not a domain that I cared deeply about, and, evidently, no one else did either.

Another domain I won was evidently redeemed, so I won't post it here, but it is irksome.

•••
I've used GD auctions once & might again in the future. I owned JustinTruman.net & was gonna make a site in memory of an old friend who passed in 2010. I never really got around to it yet though, sadly. The .com appeared in GD auction & I won it with 1 bid. Sadly, it cost me about $22-25 or so :p I lost interest in the .net & dropped it. @$$holes out there: don't reg the .net & try to sell it to me lol I have no interest in it, hence at why I dropped it.

•••
Another domain I won was evidently redeemed, so I won't post it here, but it is irksome

I think it would be more irksome to have to pay Godaddy $80 when you decide that you want to keep a domain. I've changed my mind and decided to renew in the past am glad that I have that option. I hate having names renewed that I buy at auction, but I hate paying extra money to Godaddy even more.

•••
I haven't read this entire thread--too long--but I'm kinda wondering 2 things:

1.) Does bidding work on 'proxy or 'absolute'?

2.) How exactly are fees calculated? Let's assume I won a domain for $50. It was an expiring domain. About how much would the total be?

I've secured only 1 domain ever from GD auctions. I won for $12 but wound up paying a bit over $20. So I dunno.

•••

2.) How exactly are fees calculated? Let's assume I won a domain for $50. It was an expiring domain. About how much would the total be?

I've secured only 1 domain ever from GD auctions. I won for $12 but wound up paying a bit over $20. So I dunno.

- Proxy
- You pay your winning bid amount plus the cost of renewal. Renewal codes work on the renewal portion.

•••
Thanks :) I have my eye on one. If I decide to bid, I'll keep this in mind

- Proxy
- You pay your winning bid amount plus the cost of renewal. Renewal codes work on the renewal portion.

•••

For expiring auctions:

1. You can place a a proxy bid, but I would recommend placing all bids at the last minute (if you can).

2. You pay the auction fee PLUS the renewal fee. You can knock that renewal down by using one of the myriad coupons on this forum (BACON3 comes to mind)​

For all of you who transfer expired domains after someone else has won it, why can't you at do it before the auction has ended?

I mean, what makes an $11.00 BIN domain you were going to drop so attractive all of a sudden? Because someone was willing to pay a pittance for it?

IMO, those who do this are selfish and rude and waste other people's time and money (given that GoDaddy holds onto your funds for a week after the domain has been transferred out).

I've noticed that many of these operators go into stealth mode right away, so "coward" also comes to mind as well.

And, no, I wouldn't buy wantadot.com off the owner, so if he's reading this, don't bother pm'ing or emailing me.

:td:

•••
I don't know why you switched from being mad at Godaddy to being mad at the domain owners. I can't see your $11 BIN purchase being the reason why the domain was renewed. Either he decided he wants to do something with it or somebody contacted him via whois and asked if he wants to sell it.

•••
Thanks :) I have my eye on one. If I decide to bid, I'll keep this in mind

Factor in the auction fee too ($5 with coupon) if you don't have that. You can buy closeouts without it but to bid I think you need to be a member?

I don't know why you switched from being mad at Godaddy to being mad at the domain owners. I can't see your $11 BIN purchase being the reason why the domain was renewed. Either he decided he wants to do something with it or somebody contacted him via whois and asked if he wants to sell it.

I hate people that bid at the last minute so that I can tell what the good names are!

By the way - your sig is a sig or is that the joke?

•••

I guess I'm more p1$$y at Godaddy more than anyone else because if GD didn't allow it, it wouldn't happen.

:O

Just ranting, I think, and I promise not to drag out this thread with this topic.

Now back to a sunny demeanor.

•••
I've used GD auctions once & might again in the future. I owned JustinTruman.net & was gonna make a site in memory of an old friend who passed in 2010. I never really got around to it yet though, sadly. The .com appeared in GD auction & I won it with 1 bid. Sadly, it cost me about $22-25 or so :p I lost interest in the .net & dropped it. @$$holes out there: don't reg the .net & try to sell it to me lol I have no interest in it, hence at why I dropped it.

Don't forget to use coupons so your purchase will be cheaper :$::$:

•••
Some excellent names on auction today.

SNE.com 17 year old LLL

Pixey.com and Wemix.com are some nice 5 letter pronounceable.

How many people you think are trying to email the SNE.com previous registrant ?

How high do you think SNE.com goes ?

•••
How many people you think are trying to email the SNE.com previous registrant ?

How high do you think SNE.com goes ?

Current registrant.

$12K if it is allowed to end.

•••
True John I actually typed current then erased because so many like to say previous registrant, I spoke to a registrar who said if the name is one day expired they are the previous registrant. Crazy business.

•••
True John I actually typed current then erased because so many like to say previous registrant, I spoke to a registrar who said if the name is one day expired they are the previous registrant. Crazy business.

So they are current registrant then the previous registrant and then on renewal the current registrant. I guess that in that expired period there is no current registrant just the prior registrant who could be the current registrant by renewing... leaving just one question.

How can a prior registrant transfer a name? Shouldn't it be the current registrant? Or do you get promoted to current registrant as soon as you put in a transfer order?

Anyway - it's over $12K. I forgot to factor in the HybridDomainer.com Bump!

•••
I didn't read everything, just my experience with one Godaddy backorder.
I moved the Backorder from one domain to another for a long time because Godaddy wasn't able to catch a single name, even C Quality names. Then after probably 10 unsuccessful atempts, wild west domains got it, and then godaddy sent the domain to auction, someones else overbid me.
Never again a godaddy backorder, lost a lot of my time

---------- Post added at 07:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:35 AM ----------

btw, here is how i understood the godaddy expiration until drop works

- After domain expired, the owner has 18 days to renew with the normal renewal price (Godaddy tells you you have 12 days, but you have 6 more days)
- between day 19 and day 25, there is no auction, but the owner has to pay the 80 dollars fee to renew it (he can renew up to 42 days after expiration with the 80 dollars BTW)
- between day 25 and day 35 there is the auction
- between day 35 and day 40 there is closeouts (each day lowering the price, until finally the lowest 5$)
- Between day 40 and day 45 there is a 5 day wait period
- and then there is redemption period 30 days
- and finally 5 days pending delete, on sixth day between 11 am and 3pm PDT time the names (com/net) drop from Registry (verisign) and you can either try to hand reg or use snapnames, etc. to do it

Once in pending delete, everyone has the same chance and there is no advantage for GOdaddy

I am not sure if this is 100% correct but that is what i remember

So does that mean if you want to backorder with GoDaddy it is best to do it between day 1 and day 25? Will they notify the previous owner? or is it just a matter of waiting it out at that point if you do get it?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back