NameSilo

Your opinion of/experience with Joomla

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

cassius

Account Closed
Impact
Well I'm diving into CMS and from looking at my design requirements I am leaning toward Joomla. I originally looked at Drupal but then found out that there is some sort of conflict with MooTools while Joomla offers MT native with 1.5.

But I just thought I'd do a bit of due diligence on Joomla before starting. Any opinions good/bad or otherwise.

Also, does anybody know of a good host where I can get a retail site for development of a joomla site. I intend to go through an entire due diligence on the hosting when I get closer to launch of the site and will be going with a VPS. But I'd like to find something I can use for the next four months while I build the site out.

TIA

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Joomla 1.5 is the way to go.
If u need any Joomla hosting drop by www.onspot.tv

•••
I have used tons of CMS's including drupal. From what I see of Joomla, if you can figure it out it looks pretty good. I spent about 5 hours playing with Joomla a while back and could not figure anything out.... literally anything. I personally will stick to custom coding php because it makes much more since to me than joomla. But yes sites using joomla look cool.

•••
Joomla is solid - but there are some other good ones out there as well including Drupal and CMS Made Simple. It depends a lot on personal preferences and needs. You can always check out http://www.opensourcecms.com/ and test them out a bit.

•••
Joomla is good only after you learn it up side down.I really do prefer spending some extra hours in coding my own CMS than using a premade one because like this you know exactly what to do and for me it is more fun !

•••
I don't like Joomla, I think it's more complicated than it needs to be. I much prefer Drupal, but I don't use MooTools.

•••
Drupal is disorganized. I like Joomla, the legacy version. Joomla 1.5 has a new admin interface. You have to spend some time to learn all the functions.

•••
shaelheart said:
Drupal is disorganized.

The admin area can feel disorganized, I agree. But once you find what you're looking for (which is generally in one of three areas so there isn't too much searching to do) it seems much easier to implement than Joomla.

•••
VERSION 1.5 Joomla is Brilliant
I love it totally and Use it for all my new sites
I am progressively changing all my old Joomla 1.x sites as well
in Total I have installed Joomla on over 200 sites.
It is actually quite easy to learn.
I teach a WebSite Creation course to Newbies in Australia
where they achieve a Joomla Based website in only 10HRs total tuition.
At end of the First 2.5 Hours session they all have live Google Friendly Sites.

shaelheart said:
Drupal is disorganized. I like Joomla, the legacy version. Joomla 1.5 has a new admin interface. You have to spend some time to learn all the functions.
Joomla 1.5 Admin is More organised than Version 1.x and has essentially the same functions .
Only laid out in a logical manner
Don't be tempted to use Joomla 1.x for New Installs
it is being deprecated ,and is not recommended due to all the Legacy code (MAMBO CodeBase) .
Joomla 1.5 is a xHTML/Web2.0 application with AJAX, Mootools Builtin

I do this for a living ,I can't afford to use Amatuerish tools like Some other CMS's.
Please PM me for any and all Enquiries regarding Joomla

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back