NameLot

your ideas about ...

Located in Web Hosting Discussion, started by moonlight77, Aug 7, 2007

Replies:
Views:

1. moonlight77

moonlight77 Account Closed

Valuhost.com provides fully managed web hosting. I plan to become their reseller and I wonder which reseller plans it's better to choose - Windows or Linux and why?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. CrazyTech

CrazyTech Wordpress & Web Hosting Guy VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Well, which have you worked with/do you know better?

3. SharedRack.com

SharedRack.com Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

In majority cases Linux is prefered.

4. Aesthetic

Aesthetic Account Closed

I'd start with investigating the niche: comparing the supply-and-demand thing, you may even make apoll on the forum to see how many people need Windows and Linux hosting. It may be good to contact Valuhost.com and ask them for recommendations about that.

5. loran76

loran76 Account Closed

Overall Linux is cheaper than Windows. I wonder if Windows needs any licenses or something like that.

6. kallis

kallis Account Closed

Linux is not cheaper than Windows,most of the companies provide hosting for windows and linux at equal rates.Choosing one among these two is depend on your requirements.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2007
  7. TrexHost

TrexHost Account Closed

If you are simply becoming a webhosting reseller, their is no "huge" reason know linux, as you will not have access to most of the desirable commands. However, Linux is often looked upon as being more stable, and therefor linux would be my choice.

8. iHubNet-Matt

iHubNet-Matt Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

Linux servers are more cheaper and control panels like cpanel works with it, which is very user friendly and easy to administrate.

9. kallis

kallis Account Closed

But the sites like indyahozting.com and others are providing both the servers at the equal rates.I don't think Linux is cheaper.

10. iHubNet-Matt

In the case on linux servers it is easy to learn and master the administration if you have basic command line knowledge. Also we will get free softwares easily from the internet.

11. kallis

kallis Account Closed

Yes,it is easy to use.But could you please tell me what kind of softwares?.

12. iHubNet-Matt

You can install control panel like cpanel, which allows easy administration of the server through web interface. Install software such as nagios to monitor the services. Install MRTG to monitor bandwidth etc..

13. kallis

kallis Account Closed

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

14. Aesthetic

Aesthetic Account Closed

Hi, which option from valuhost.com have you gone with?

15. moonlight77

moonlight77 Account Closed

Are there any other services for monitoring site?

16. CrazyTech

CrazyTech Wordpress & Web Hosting Guy VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

Well if you're running cPanel, you have chkserv that checks the services and restarts them automatically in many cases. However, if you need additional monitoring, you might want to look to a third party monitoring solution such as hyperspin. (If that's the type of monitoring you're talking about?)

Otherwise, take a look at these for monitoring on your end:
    http://hotsanic.sourceforge.net/
    http://humdi.net/vnstat/
    http://rtg.sourceforge.net/

17. Turco

Turco Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

I think Linux hostings are much more common and easy to control. Because cPanel is very famous, user-friendly interface. There are many more features as well.

Windows hosting is not common as much as Linux. Linux servers are generally more succesful than Win Servers.

Windows has been always better for last users but Unix and Unix-origin servers, such as Linux, have been much better for server Operating Systems.

18. iHubNet-Matt

I would say the most important factor you need to consider is "what are your requirements". If you are looking for something like ASP, it is better to go for a Windows plan. Also another factor is which one is more comfortable for you. As you get your business expanded you will need knowledge in what you are doing. So go for one which you know.

19. andygen

andygen Established Member ★★★★★★★★★★

There are many nice hosting company who provide resseler account, but do find thouse provide live chat service and more benefits when sign up with them :)

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
biix
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice