IT.COM

Your Flippa subscription will renew soon | What subscription?

NameSilo
Watch

Trent1000

Top Member
Impact
Does anybody received the following email from Flippa?

I've contacted them, but they're not in hurry to reply. So thought I would ask if anyone else has dealt with this before.

The url "update your payment details now" is a dead link, leads to nowhere so I literally can't "unsubscribe" to avoid charging my credit card with whatever amount they would charge me.

Never subscribed to any of their services before, other than listing my websites, and domains on auctions but those has been paid right away...

flippa.png

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I'm guessing its a phishing email.

Flippa's headquarters are in Melbourne, Australia.
The phone number in the email is US.
Also, as i know of, Flippa only do support via email.

They probably have a database of hacked information, that contains your email address and last 4 digits of your credit card.

I'd run a full virus scan on your computer.
I would also email [email protected] to report this to them, so they can inform all their clients.

Last edited:
•••
I'm guessing its a phishing email.

Flippa's headquarters are in Melbourne, Australia.
The phone number in the email is US.
Also, as i know of, Flippa only do support via email.

They probably have a database of hacked information, that contains your email address and last 4 digits of your credit card.

I'd run a full virus scan on your computer.
I would also email [email protected] to report this to them, so they can inform all their clients.

I was also thinking about that, but it does look legit. I've already reached out to them, but received no reply yet.

here are some more details:
flippa2.png

•••
If you haven't already. Check the email headers.
In case they spoofed the email address.

•••
EDIT : Open the email. Click the three dots on the right hand side of screen. Click 'show original'.

That will give you the email headers.

If you have a stripe account.
I'd just log in and check to see if their are any recurring payments set up for Flippa.

Last edited:
•••
Gmail indeed, checked the email header, and that revealed another email in the message id section: 0100016e414cd963-c5edeb13-6af6-4092-8435-d59d1374a67e-000000 @email.amazonses.com

I don't have stripe.

•••
Yeah its almost definitely a phishing scam or something similar.

Hopefully nothing malicious occurred on your machine (as the link you clicked was dead), but i'd do a deep scan to make sure.

•••
Yeah its almost definitely a phishing scam or something similar.

Hopefully nothing malicious occurred on your machine (as the link you clicked was dead), but i'd do a deep scan to make sure.
Thanks for your comments on this issue. I've run a scan already, found nothing suspicious. The link redirects to Flippa's homepage, no download of any files initiated after clicking on it.

I'll update the thread once Flippa replies back to me.

•••
This email was sent by stripe and it appears legit(did you copy the stripe.com text from the header and visit it to see if it is in fact their website?). I guess you must have paid for a listing or a purchase via stripe in order for them to have your info. If you didn't it's in fact weird. I don't see any flippa subscriptions so this is probably a mix up, handling an one-time payment as recurring(?) Did you pay for anything on flippa via stripe a month, or a year ago?

•••
No worries.
@Kostas post is worth looking into.

•••
This email was sent by stripe and it appears legit(did you copy the stripe.com text from the header and visit it to see if it is in fact their website?). I guess you must have paid for a listing or a purchase via stripe in order for them to have your info. If you didn't it's in fact weird. I don't see any flippa subscriptions so this is probably a mix up, handling an one-time payment as recurring(?) Did you pay for anything on flippa via stripe a month, or a year ago?

I did, it redirected me to stripe.com. Yeah I've paid the $15 basic flippa listing fee about a month ago. But I don't use stripe at all, never did. Flippa on the other hand does.

I've googled "Your subscription will renew soon" and someone else reported the exact same thing I did here on the blackhatworld forum just yesterday. So I'm assuming it's a recent thing.

•••
Hopefully Flippa will clarify soon.

•••
•••
Okay so Flippa replied and clarified that the message was sent by them. I asked what kind of subscription was this email is about, and this is what they replied:

flippa3.png

Now I only wonder what happens if I don't reach out to them to cancel the subscription, would they charge me the listing fee once again?

•••
Glad you got it clarified.

I stopped using Flippa a while ago.
It's not the same as it once was imo.

The email you received regarding 'a subscription' is just example of bad management on their part.
Hopefully you won't get charged again and it gets cancelled.

Last edited:
•••
Glad you got it clarified.

I stopped using Flippa a while ago.
It's not the same as it once was imo.

The email you received regarding 'a subscription' is just example of bad management on their part.
Hopefully you won't get charged again and it gets cancelled.

I totally hear you. Unfortunately when it comes to young/low income/low traffic website sales, they are one of the only options. I haven't sold domain names there for a long time now.

They did cancel it.

•••
I totally hear you. Unfortunately when it comes to young/low income/low traffic website sales, they are one of the only options. I haven't sold domain names there for a long time now.

They did cancel it.

Ah ok. Yeah, for websites they appear to be the only real place to auction/sell.
Glad you got it cancelled.

•••
Flippa recently switched to a "subscription model" .. I only used them a couple of times a couple of years ago, but not really sure why you'd want a monthly subscription model on an auction that itself lasts less than a month? Maybe they're hoping some people will forget to unsubscribe at the end of the month and have it trigger a second auction? (Or in this case they simply make their platform buggy and don't return support requests) .. I wonder how many people have been charged extra without noticing?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back