IT.COM

question What domains did you lose because you forgot renew/transfer?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
I'm sure this has happened before to some on here and I am no stranger to this either.

IT IS A TOTAL NIGHTMARE!

Nothing sucks more than losing a domain you did not want to lose and because of stupid things like the wrong auth codes from your registrar.

They give you a download of all your domains including matching auth codes. most work. but every now and then auth codes are not correct.

it always happens when the situation is time sensitive and you need to get things done quick.

For whatever reason, a domain you did not plan to let go gets lost and now it's with some other domainer.

You lose the domain because.

1. you did not set auto renew.
2. you left auto-renew off because you always plan to transfer.
3. you tried to transfer but for some reason wrong auth codes. you did not follow up with transfer because you assumed auth codes were good. domain goes into redemption. You can't afford to pay redemption fee. You take the risk and let it delete. or you think you are slick and pay for cheap dropcatch service but the service fails and gets beat by a faster dropcatch service.
4. registrar you order a domain transfer took to long to transfer and domain goes into redemption or simply did not submit the proper whatever to start the process.
5. Domain went to auction and you "planned" on bidding but forgot. You waited because you did want to run up the bid but then you weren't paying attention and missed it.

I'd like to hear your experiences bad or good.

You can even mention when you "almost" lost a domain because of any of the above but luckily got your domain in your account "safely".

Please excluded anything that has to do with paying a redemption fee.

CoinSwitzerland.com
5GMobile.de
BestInjury.com

These are just a few I remember. I'll add more later.

So what domains have you lost in the past that really pissed you off?

Please note.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Cubss.com

Go to the site now, check it out

Samer

•••
•••
Damn. Sorry bro. How?

5FF47CE6-113A-48EB-8481-0CEDEAF202C7.jpeg

•••
dont know what happened after 2015 led HD

i didnt appreciate it...

Knowing fate,certainly made me 2nd question..

Samer

Last edited:
•••
•••
dont know what happened after 2015 led HD

i didnt appreciate it...

Knowing fate,certainly made me 2nd question..

Samer

yea looks like it.

cubss.com Domain Hosting History
Old Hoster New Hoster Month / Year Zone Date Transaction
N/A NAMEBRIGHTDNS.COM March 2018 2018-04-01 New
FABULOUS.COM N/A February 2018 2018-03-01 Deleted
BODIS.COM FABULOUS.COM January 2018 2018-02-01 Transfer
FABULOUS.COM BODIS.COM April 2017 2017-05-01 Transfer
N/A FABULOUS.COM January 2017 2017-02-01 New
HICHINA.COM N/A November 2016 2016-12-01 Deleted
N/A HICHINA.COM October 2015 2015-11-01 New
DOMAINCONTROL.COM N/A September 2015 2015-10-01 Deleted
PARKINGCREW.NET DOMAINCONTROL.COM July 2015 2015-08-01 Transfer
DOMAINCONTROL.COM PARKINGCREW.NET October 2014 2014-11-01 Transfer
N/A DOMAINCONTROL.COM July 2014 2014-08-01 New
DOMAINCONTROL.COM N/A June 2014 2014-07-01 Deleted
DSREDIRECTION.COM DOMAINCONTROL.COM May 2014 2014-06-01 Transfer
UNINSTALLDOMAIN.COM DSREDIRECTION.COM June 2013 2013-07-01 Transfer
N/A UNINSTALLDOMAIN.COM May 2013 2013-06-01 New
DOMAINCONTROL.COM N/A January 2012 2012-02-01 Deleted
N/A DOMAINCONTROL.COM December 2009 2010-01-01 New
DOMAINSERVICE.COM N/A November 2009 2009-12-01 Deleted
DSREDIRECTION.COM DOMAINSERVICE.COM October 2009 2009-11-01 Transfer
FASTPARK.NET DSREDIRECTION.COM August 2009 2009-09-01 Transfer
DSREDIRECTION.COM FASTPARK.NET April 2009 2009-05-01 Transfer
FASTPARK.NET DSREDIRECTION.COM January 2009 2009-02-01 Transfer
DNSNAMESERVER.ORG FASTPARK.NET September 2008 2008-10-01 Transfer
QSRCH.NET DNSNAMESERVER.ORG June 2006 2006-07-01 Transfer
FABULOUS.COM QSRCH.NET October 2005 2005-11-01 Transfer
QSRCH.NET FABULOUS.COM September 2005 2005-10-01 Transfer
N/A QSRCH.NET October 2004 2004-11-01 New

•••
My domains like CoinSwitzerland.com I had tried to transfer them over to LCN during their special.

either I copied and pasted the wrong auth codes? or because sometimes the excel sheets screw up and will get messed up because of a stupid comma (,) either missing or not being there or their "system" removes it. very glitchy.

and of course someone grabbed it via dropcatch.

lucky I still own CoinSuisse.com and CoinSwiss.com.

•••
holy crap you saved the screenshot from back then? damn! lol.

it's like keeping old photos of ex-girlfriends who broke your heart!

you and me both brother! lol

I guess it just wasn't meant to be.

LOL
AOL email has unlimited storage...
Cant say saved email, but i definitely searched “CUBSS.com” for it then took screenshot ;)

Dont use AOL email, worst for outbound IMO!

Samer

Last edited:
•••
iphones can take screenshots of anything

Samer

Last edited:
•••
•••
•••
Cubss.com

Go to the site now, check it out

Samer

Chin up, You didn't lose much there, if you see it at 1k on huge domains its usually pretty worthless.

I can show you umpteen domains I have dropped that are now on huge domains. I figure years of carrying with not one inquiry its time to drop. I can't see Huge Domains getting a dramatic increase if the domain has never had any traffic.

And yes... some of my drops have been dropped by huge domains.

•••
Chin up, You didn't lose much there, if you see it at 1k on huge domains its usually pretty worthless.

I can show you umpteen domains I have dropped that are now on huge domains. I figure years of carrying with not one inquiry its time to drop. I can't see Huge Domains getting a dramatic increase if the domain has never had any traffic.

And yes... some of my drops have been dropped by huge domains.

Gotta agree, I definitely don't see it selling anywhere near that price. High $xx - low $xxx.

•••
I was ill back in winter of 2018 and lost domains like
QQT .org
VistaChat .com
ViralDomains .com
megaFlip .com
and few 4l.coms, 5N and two word domains

Last edited:
•••
I was ill back in winter of 2018 and lost domains like
QQT .org
VistaChat .com
ViralDomains .com
megaFlip .com
and few 4l.coms, 5N and two word domains

Auto renew is your friend, especially if you get ill.

I keep all my domains on auto renew and a couple of months before they are due I review and shut off the ones I don't want to renew.

Heaven forbid you get really sick or something, auto renew would be a god sent.

•••
I did loose exactly 0 domain names - I am well organized it seems.

And I remember basically each domain name in my portfolio - there is a story begind each acquisition, so I can not afford to loose domain names just like that by not renewing them :)

•••
To prevent this from happening you can set email alerts on, so when your domains are nearing expiring you will get the email.

You can also put them in a calendar App which will remind the domains are ready to expire.

•••
I lost a handful thanks to the AlpNames fiasco last year. Wasn't able to log-in to renew them, they got lost, some picked up by others with dropcatch.

And I lost a few good one here and there by once having domains scattered across different registrars taking advantage of coupons and promos in my newbie days.

These days, I stick to 3 and that's it, otherwise you're bound to forget to renew something somewhere, not worth the extra track-work IMO. And be cautious who you're keeping your names with, stick with reputable registrars.

Last edited:
•••
•••
Never lost anything...yet. Funny timing though as I just got my first renewal reminder email. A name I purchased here and got as a push it expiring in 60 days...I tend to think that turning on auto renew by default would probably be a good idea and when I review my names if I decide I want to drop one just turn off auto renew for it individually.

•••
Never lost anything...yet. Funny timing though as I just got my first renewal reminder email. A name I purchased here and got as a push it expiring in 60 days...I tend to think that turning on auto renew by default would probably be a good idea and when I review my names if I decide I want to drop one just turn off auto renew for it individually.

I do that, I turn the ones I don't want off ahead but I try to renew every quarter so I get 4 invoices instead of hundreds. With so many domains coming due on different days the accounting would be a nightmare if I let godaddy charge my card almost every single day.

So I turn on auto renew for safety, shut it off on the ones I intend to drop but I renew about 3 months before the due date. This way I only have to expense 4 invoices per year and the taxes are easier to track.

Remember, as a legitimate domainer one must claim expenses and remit taxes so having proper documentation for everything is essential.

•••
I do that, I turn the ones I don't want off ahead but I try to renew every quarter so I get 4 invoices instead of hundreds. With so many domains coming due on different days the accounting would be a nightmare if I let godaddy charge my card almost every single day.

So I turn on auto renew for safety, shut it off on the ones I intend to drop but I renew about 3 months before the due date. This way I only have to expense 4 invoices per year and the taxes are easier to track.

Remember, as a legitimate domainer one must claim expenses and remit taxes so having proper documentation for everything is essential.

Fair point. I recently went though my 2019 receipts. I made two excel spreadsheets one that was essentially an inventory list of every domain name as of 12/31/19 and one that was an itemized list of every domain related expense during 2019 with invoice numbers. Then I saved all my invoices yo a folder on my computer with those spreadsheets. For only 4 months and 35 domains there were a fair number of invoices....

•••
Oh my gosh I still have never forgiven myself...

minecrafttextures.com
minecraft-textures.com
minecrafttexturepacks.com

and a bunch more related to MC. I was young and hadt no money at the time and couldn't afford the renewal :( I still can't stand seeing mc lol

•••
minecrafttexturepacks.com

Only that one ended up developed while minecrafttextures.com gets a malware designation from my adguard adblocker.

•••
Back