Domain Empire
Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DANEYAL

Top Member
Impact
Name Pros is a Huge Forum of Domainers and if everyone who has finished their 1st Year Domaining can share their Investing, Selling, Losing, Success, Learning & Earning experience, it would be a great thing for everyone of us.
Domainers who are in their 1st year of Domaining can also share how they feel & on a lighter note 'what they are going through'.

Happy Domaining!

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sharing is Caring, isn't it.....Please express, thanks

•••
Hmm... Thinking way back and had to pull up my spreadsheet for that year to recollect. I registered a total of 73 domains, spent exactly $337 on new hand regs. Sales for the year $890.
So I did make some money, however I ended up letting about 50% of those hand registered domains drop.

•••
@JudgeMind thanks for sharing, splendid performance considering it the first year.

•••
My first year of domaining was quite the learning process. My early years were mostly picking up mediocre hand reg's and selling them to resellers. In my early days I didn't invest much which is the exact opposite of what I would recommend today. Someone with $1k would be much better buying 2-3 good domains as opposed to 500-1000 crappy ones!

•••
Someone with $1k would be much better buying 2-3 good domains as opposed to 500-1000 crappy ones!
This is certainly a bold advice & a useful one I suppose if followed wisely.

•••
my first year in domain was cool, i was properly guided, that made me not to reg many domains as a newbie, i had abt 9-12 domains, after three months i got a notification from godaddy that one of my domain has been sold for $100, i was so happy, that was my first sale, i later stumble at namepros, where i was able to sell some of my domains nd made some profit. Overall it was a nice rio, my second huge sale was $1500 at the end or begining of the next year. Am happy to be a domainer bcos thier is alot of cash to be made here, just concluded another huge deal 2wk ago.
Thanks and more sale for us all

•••
my first year in domain was cool, i was properly guided, that made me not to reg many domains as a newbie, i had abt 9-12 domains, after three months i got a notification from godaddy that one of my domain has been sold for $100, i was so happy, that was my first sale, i later stumble at namepros, where i was able to sell some of my domains nd made some profit. Overall it was a nice rio, my second huge sale was $1500 at the end or begining of the next year. Am happy to be a domainer bcos thier is alot of cash to be made here, just concluded another huge deal 2wk ago.
Thanks and more sale for us all
This is quite amazing to see a domainer with a quite stable & loss free 1st year, specially when you got your 1st sale just within months & with a inventory of even less than 20 domains.

•••
It would be great to hear from seasoned members.....newbies who have still not completed there 1st year in domaining world can speak their heart out, there would be advices suggestions tips & lessons to learn from everywhere around.
Happy Domaining!
Dont forget to comment on your first year :)

•••
I'm in my first year and oh boy have I made some huge mistakes. Hand reg'n some of the biggest crap out there but at the time I thought they were great. I wish I discovered namepros when I first started. I'm only now, after 6 months, starting to find my feet and understand the market. Still no sales yet but fingers crossed.

•••
I'm in my first year and oh boy have I made some huge mistakes. Hand reg'n some of the biggest crap out there but at the time I thought they were great. I wish I discovered namepros when I first started. I'm only now, after 6 months, starting to find my feet and understand the market. Still no sales yet but fingers crossed.
Great to see your persistance, but no sales may not mean having not saleable domains, May be you have Gems, just waiting for the right end user or some kind of marketing. :)

•••
i read a lot here @ NP and tested handreg'd flips.

i got 300% profit by end of my 1st year..

now increased my investment step by step. i could invest more & want to keep domains for endusers (Big Sales)...

Stay positive & confidence to get succeed...

like every people said, Patience is very important in domaining (i learned)

•••
I'm still a newbie, and in the hole $ (I regged a lot, some good, some bad) Been doing this since New year's day or so, about 9 weeks, and completed one sale of $588. Trying to read a lot of stuff here and on other sites. I'll try to report back here in a full year and see where I stand

•••
I been domaining for almost a month and a half. I've been learning things daily but I have made a lot of mistakes. I regestered probably around 85 domains I regret a lot of them I don't think many will sell but I'm being very selective in my purchases now I've only bought 3 in the 2 last weeks and I deleted 1.I figured I would loose some money in the beginning as a part of the learning curve. I feel like I learn better when I get my hands dirty. I have learned that its not easy to hand reg a great domain unless you are looking into the future but you may not sell that domain for years and not making a sale can be very discouraging, as it is now for me lol but I'm not a quitter.I'm going to continue learning.continue studying and when I get I better understanding of what i'm buying and what there worth ill spend some better money and try and buy undervalued domains I think thats where the money is but figuring out what is under valued is the hard part imo

•••
i read a lot here @ NP and tested handreg'd flips.

i got 300% profit by end of my 1st year..

now increased my investment step by step. i could invest more & want to keep domains for endusers (Big Sales)...

Stay positive & confidence to get succeed...

like every people said, Patience is very important in domaining (i learned)
Reaching end user is a very promising aspect of domaining, totally agreed with your advice to domainers 'Patience' is the key really.

•••
I started domaining around November 2001 and basically hand registered complete rubbish for the first six months! But I still have one of the names even today - 00uk.com !

However I did manage to get a couple of names that were slightly better than rubbish - there were no companies around then that were jumping on names the millisecond they expired!

I sold my first name - CharityAngels.com - in June 2002, turning $30 into $191.90 after expenses - it went to a school in Florida that was doing a class project. (I ended up hand registering this name again later on, and sold it a second time in 2010.)

The second sale did not come until November 2002 when I sold NE1.net, turning $152.50 into $384.10 after expenses.

Beginning in April 2003 I started selling mostly hand registered names on the forums and I managed to sell 122 names in 2003, mostly two word exact match dot coms or one word dot nets / dot orgs. Sales were mostly $xx and profits were relatively thin but occasionally I got lucky and got a $xxx sale. My first low $x,xxx sale was in September 2003 when I sold AtAuction.com. Most of the profits got ploughed back into further names.

In 2004 I sold 92 names, again mostly on the forums but I now started to get a few end user sales, with DrugCode.com, BoatSurvey.com and CowboyLiving.com being the best.

This was the year that I started to get CCC.com names (mostly LLN - where LL spelt an international country code - eg ZA = South Africa; or LNN) and I ended up with over 70 of them. I even managed to get a group of three of them - A77.com, B77.com and R77.com - on Ebay for $43 ! Over the years many of these CCC names have been sold but I still have 29 left.

Most of the names I got for many years were from the closeout section of Godaddy. Many days I would very quickly scan through up to sometimes 10,000 names in a day across the internet, to try and find possibly one diamond in the rough that I thought had value.

Of course on the other side there were hundreds of names over the years that I thought had value but came to nothing and I let them expire. Looking back some of them were awful but some of them were not that bad - I simply didn't have enough patience then!

As the years passed I sold less and less names on the forums and more and more of the sales were to end users, particularly as they were now starting to contact me. Numbers of names sold were dramatically down but the value of each sale was much better.

Giving good service to the buyer and making the sale process as easy as possible was very important to me and resulted in some buyers coming back for multiple names in the same industry. I sold names across all sorts of business niches including for example - candles, white water rafting, heating boilers, envelopes, cars, shipping, boats, cranes.

Today I have quite a lot of geo dot com names (eg Sunderland Plumber, Leeds Legal, London Arbitration, Durham Joinery), quite a lot of two word exact match dot com names, some one word dot orgs from a long time ago, and some one word / LLL / very short .co.uk / .uk names.

In the main I have tended to keep away from the new tld's and various fads in names that have come and gone, mainly concentrating on two word exact match names that can provide value to a business, so that they get more in use value than I get from them in cash value.

I have made tons of mistakes, hopefully learnt from the majority of them and not repeated them too many times!

Patience is an absolute necessity to learn, as is not being too greedy. I almost certainly have not have taken anywhere near the last dollar off the table, but if you get what you are happy with, then go with that and reinvest in a better name. Let the buyer use their expertise to get their share of any remaining profit available. There have been times when I have been on the other side and got a name ridiculously cheap, maybe because I was in a better position to appreciate its true value.

Don't wait for the one name jackpot value sale - it will never come. A steady stream of lower value sales means you create your own far bigger jackpot for yourself!

•••
1st year almost up.

Been out of the game for about 5 months until very recently.

Anyway, did lots of research before starting out. Made a few school boy errors but: Hand reg'd about 50 names with coupons (so all in spent about £80 maybe).

Made around £600. So not big money for most on here but £80 to £600 is a great margin in my eyes.

Will say at least half of my names I will let drop. Trial and error prevails.

Looking forward to getting back into it again after a few random godaddy auction sales in the last month.

•••
Im still newbie and till now Im satisfied. I started with hand regging (with coupons) 7 domains because I hadnt a lot of money ( only about 15$), thanks god :P. After few monthes I sold a few domains and earn 60$ and reinvest a half of that in one aged domain. For me it doesnt matter how much money I get (a dollar or more) as far as I have some profit.

•••
I still consider myself as a newb after a few years of flipping Domains. My first year I hand registered 99.99% junk except for 1. Which at the time I believed it was the last attempt for a desperate man to make a buck.
It turned out to be a misspelled/typo/hack of the number 18... I was contacted by someone who made me an offer of low x,xxx and I sold before he finish the offer and danced around the house like Tom cruise in risky business.
A few weeks later Disney released a cartoon on the Disney channel with the number as the cartoons title :)

I should've asked for more! lol

•••
My first year was terrible - but fortunately that was a while ago and now I'm just finalising a high $x,xxx deal to an end user. Also brokering a 7 figure domain sale and had time to write a book :) (see sig)

•••
I started domaining around November 2001 and basically hand registered complete rubbish for the first six months! But I still have one of the names even today - 00uk.com !

However I did manage to get a couple of names that were slightly better than rubbish - there were no companies around then that were jumping on names the millisecond they expired!

I sold my first name - CharityAngels.com - in June 2002, turning $30 into $191.90 after expenses - it went to a school in Florida that was doing a class project. (I ended up hand registering this name again later on, and sold it a second time in 2010.)

The second sale did not come until November 2002 when I sold NE1.net, turning $152.50 into $384.10 after expenses.

Beginning in April 2003 I started selling mostly hand registered names on the forums and I managed to sell 122 names in 2003, mostly two word exact match dot coms or one word dot nets / dot orgs. Sales were mostly $xx and profits were relatively thin but occasionally I got lucky and got a $xxx sale. My first low $x,xxx sale was in September 2003 when I sold AtAuction.com. Most of the profits got ploughed back into further names.

In 2004 I sold 92 names, again mostly on the forums but I now started to get a few end user sales, with DrugCode.com, BoatSurvey.com and CowboyLiving.com being the best.

This was the year that I started to get CCC.com names (mostly LLN - where LL spelt an international country code - eg ZA = South Africa; or LNN) and I ended up with over 70 of them. I even managed to get a group of three of them - A77.com, B77.com and R77.com - on Ebay for $43 ! Over the years many of these CCC names have been sold but I still have 29 left.

Most of the names I got for many years were from the closeout section of Godaddy. Many days I would very quickly scan through up to sometimes 10,000 names in a day across the internet, to try and find possibly one diamond in the rough that I thought had value.

Of course on the other side there were hundreds of names over the years that I thought had value but came to nothing and I let them expire. Looking back some of them were awful but some of them were not that bad - I simply didn't have enough patience then!

As the years passed I sold less and less names on the forums and more and more of the sales were to end users, particularly as they were now starting to contact me. Numbers of names sold were dramatically down but the value of each sale was much better.

Giving good service to the buyer and making the sale process as easy as possible was very important to me and resulted in some buyers coming back for multiple names in the same industry. I sold names across all sorts of business niches including for example - candles, white water rafting, heating boilers, envelopes, cars, shipping, boats, cranes.

Today I have quite a lot of geo dot com names (eg Sunderland Plumber, Leeds Legal, London Arbitration, Durham Joinery), quite a lot of two word exact match dot com names, some one word dot orgs from a long time ago, and some one word / LLL / very short .co.uk / .uk names.

In the main I have tended to keep away from the new tld's and various fads in names that have come and gone, mainly concentrating on two word exact match names that can provide value to a business, so that they get more in use value than I get from them in cash value.

I have made tons of mistakes, hopefully learnt from the majority of them and not repeated them too many times!

Patience is an absolute necessity to learn, as is not being too greedy. I almost certainly have not have taken anywhere near the last dollar off the table, but if you get what you are happy with, then go with that and reinvest in a better name. Let the buyer use their expertise to get their share of any remaining profit available. There have been times when I have been on the other side and got a name ridiculously cheap, maybe because I was in a better position to appreciate its true value.

Don't wait for the one name jackpot value sale - it will never come. A steady stream of lower value sales means you create your own far bigger jackpot for yourself!
Sharing is Caring, Thankyou, this is very generous on your Part.

•••
about a month now since i started..no sales yet but i'm hopeful. Still need to learn a lot,so i'm being very cautious..i've registered only 6 domains. No rush,taking it slow. :)

•••
..& the other day I was watching the interview of Rick Schwartz @DomainSherpa as recommended by @Perception in It's Never too Late.. and heard Rick saying 'in my 15 years I sold 15 domains' or so, & they were huge sales as we can see at RicksBlog.
It was truly a terrific thing I have ever heard with such grace & temperament, a man is leading his career. Besides, the idea of him selling domains is not just price, it is the Idea that a buyer has for the domain that really matters.
......So how your 1st year went should not remain an untold story......~Cheers & Good Day:)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back