IT.COM

You Must Be Joking Pal

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

DnEbook

DataGlasses.ComTop Member
Impact
To my surprise Dynadot have placed .Club domains as the default top result for a domain search. First they did their new "dynamic search" Which doesn't work properly and stalls the intended search results, (staggers different options and sometimes stops before the plural that you may have wanted) So on top of that we now have this. The .com option comes up as number six in the available options (whether available to hand reg or buy via marketplace) Crazy stuff or money under the table ??? Do a search for YouMustBeKiddingPal and see for your self. At least Godaddy offer the .com as the default result

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
That's actually pretty funny.

•••
Crazy Stuff ........surely a paid positioning

•••
Crazy Stuff ........surely a paid positioning
One would think..but could be something else. They have to start somewhere if they ever hope to get the new guys out in the open.

•••
But to drop .com down to sixth in view ........ummm ?

•••
.club is the only new one there, actually.

•••
They have placed .online above .com

•••
  1. .club
  2. .co
  3. .us
  4. .biz
  5. .online
  6. .com (even if it's a premium Afternic-listed name)
Not a fan of this, but whatever. How many endusers really use DynaDot?

•••
Dynadot's new search function certainly sucks.

•••
I'm sure it's a glitch... this is just ridiculous :)

•••
My favourite register, but things like this are not cool.

Almost registered a club yesterday.

Almost.

•••
As a general rule of thumb .. the markups on ngTLDs are significantly higher than with .com .. as such it's much more in their interest to push ngTLDs. Particularly if the buyer renews beyond a year. Maybe it's easier as well since there's a vastly higher chance of the domain being available in a ngTLD than in .com

At the end of the day it's all about the $$$ ;)

•••
I thought the same some days ago. I tried to register some ccTLDs for a specific Name and couldn´t find them because of all this ngTLD-Crap... There are really way to many of them...

•••
What a joke. I used to love using dynadot to quickly check possible endusers for a name, to see the top extensions that were taken and then to be able to easily click Website or Whois to research. Now it’s just a mess.

•••
Well (for me a least) GD still defaults to .co - drives me nuts

upload_2018-1-24_16-43-34.png

•••
Well (for me a least) GD still defaults to .co - drives me nuts

Show attachment 78879

Noticed the same about GD and it is very inconvenient, not speaking of the fact that it will hurt sales from Afternic inventory and is not fair to an unsavvy end user, who might go with GD "recommended" .co while .com was available and in couple of years might have to fork out $xxxx to buy out .com

@Joe Styler could you shed some light, what is the deal behind this?

•••
FWIW GD is default displaying .com for me.

•••
FWIW GD is default displaying .com for me.

I just checked for 4L.com that I have listed with Afternic with BIN

It showed 4L.co as available when I just entered the 4L and did not offer the afternic bin 4l.com as an option AT ALL.

It shows when I enter 4L.com in search though.

see the screenshots:

afso1.JPG

afso2.JPG

•••
We are always testing things. It may be that. I am unaware of any tests though that would prevent an exact match .com from displaying as the top search result if it were listed in the Aftermarket on Afternic or GoDaddy.

•••
Most of the popular registration services seem to be playing their own 'Domain Search' Game these days It's a pain in the arse when their own suggestion or extension tools take over. In the good ol'days at least you could scroll down for the best of the rest. You can imagine the level of incentives being offered to registration services to play along

Last edited:
•••
We are always testing things. It may be that. I am unaware of any tests though that would prevent an exact match .com from displaying as the top search result if it were listed in the Aftermarket on Afternic or GoDaddy.

Thank you! Please see the above screenshot. That is precisely what is happening: an afternic listed 4L.com (A/F/S/O dot com in this example) won't show in search for "A/F/S/O" at all.

•••
Not sure. It shows the .com for me when I try it. Like I said I don't know of any test we are doing that wouldn't show the exact domain if you search for it. However we do test things very often.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 4.16.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 4.16.34 PM.png
    183.4 KB · Views: 34
•••
well then.. that's somewhat fitting.. a registrar with little future ahead... promoting an extension with equally little potential.

imo

cheers

•••
Not sure. It shows the .com for me when I try it. Like I said I don't know of any test we are doing that wouldn't show the exact domain if you search for it. However we do test things very often.

Could the difference be that you were logged in when doing the search? Or they do it based on geography etc. for the test period? In any case, I'd appreciate if you'd share the screenshots with the tech team.

I understand that .co might provide better margins per new name, given that the renewal is the triple of .com, but when considering probability of user seeing and regging .com as well as much higher margin from the aftermarket sales, showcasing .com should be much profitable.

Also, what message are you sending to tens of your partners, if they also start prioritizing new .co (or .club etc.) and won't even show afternic/gd aftermarket names?

•••
Quite interesting , yesterday it was .com and today is .com as the default. I wonder if the results are because the searcher owns a certain number of .co's?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back