Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Reviews and information for Yahoo! Small Business

Pros:
Fast and extensive customer service
User-friendly interface

Cons:
You must email them in order to register a nameserver, this process will take you at least 5 emails in order for them to finally understand what you are trying to do.
Very little features - was designed for the internet/computer inept
Places a Yahoo! banner on your page IF you have your url forwarded.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
For maybe one or two domains I would use them anything else go with a better service

•••
Avoid Yahoo for Domains

Last year, I registered 7 domains at yahoo. Before expiration, I transferred those domains successfully to another registrar. Today, i got my credit card bill, and there were Yahoo renewal charges for all of the domains.
Well, I am about ready to kiss that $70 goodbye...
I called Yahoo again today and spoke to someone I could understand. She was very professional, to her credit. She informed me that the credit I had been told I was receiving is actually a submission for credit reversal, but that they do not do refunds for domain names.

Do not - I repeat DO NOT purchase domain names with Yahoo unless you plan to leave them there for all eternity. They have a clause in their agreement which says that you have to cancel their services even if you transfer the domains away from them. They are not a registrar, they are a reseller, which is how they say they can get away with this tactic. They are the only company I know of that operates in this fashion. How can you have a domain at two places at once? Great, i'll sell them both! The Yahoo rep said that they are being sued by many people over this, and she has to tell them all the same garbage.

In other words...YAHOO SUCKS!!!

Anyway, I wanted to let you who have domains with Yahoo know...If you transfer them out or want to let them drop, you actually have to go into your Domain Services toolbar and cancel each service, even if you've tranferred the domains. It's nuts that you could have a domain at more than one registrar, but obviously, Yahoo doesn't care.

...They did end up finally crediting my credit card for the domain renewal charges, so I will have to give them a little credit.

Last edited:
•••
Great when you buy at a very low price from them...

I think Yahoo domains is great when you get the $1.99 or $4.99 domain specials. But if you want to deal with them make sure their phone number is toll free for you because the best way to get support from them is over the phone. Their interface isn't to great, but their customer service (over the phone) and pricing (when they have a special going) is great.

•••
deu12000 said:
I think Yahoo domains is great when you get the $1.99 or $4.99 domain specials. But if you want to deal with them make sure their phone number is toll free for you because the best way to get support from them is over the phone. Their interface isn't to great, but their customer service (over the phone) and pricing (when they have a special going) is great.

Another issue is that you cannot transfer ownership of a domain to another user. This makes it a hassle to sell the domains.

•••
Great price bad features for large company

While their offer is a great price for only $2.99 if you plan on using their service to develop a site for sale you might think twice. They do not offer ownership transfer option yet. So this makes it difficult to transfer your domain within the first 60 days. After that your buyer will have to do a domain transfer costing them another reg fee which in itself is not bad, just a pain. Kind of detracts from sale of a site when there is a hassle to obtain the domain name. So best use them to develop a site for your personal use than for sale.

Just some information for those of you who didnt know this yet and thought about taking advantage.

•••
u are right, but is u r final customer, i think is a very good choice buy a domain at yahoo small bussines

•••
infinitomagazine said:
u are right, but is u r final customer, i think is a very good choice buy a domain at yahoo small bussines

I would avoid dealing with Yahoo.
If you can not transfer away your domain what are we talking about? It is a clear 'hotel California' way of doing hmmm... business - you can always check in but you can never leave!

In general, stay away from companies like yahoo that sell everything to everybody because such companies can never be competitive enough in any field they are doing business.

•••
infinitomagazine said:

They are fine for the end user, but not the reseller because of the ownership transfer issue. This will make it an issue with developers. I have quite few domains that I am going to develop and take advantage of the cheap price though, but for those that are looking for cheap domains to resell later it is avoidable for the feature issue.

Kevin

•••
Review

A bit high price, low feature CP, very simple, good service. You get 80% of what you pay for, the rest goes to that rich guy who came up with yahoo.

•••
soldierboy101st said:
Reviews and information for Yahoo! Small Business

Cons:
You must email them in order to register a nameserver, this process will take you at least 5 emails in order for them to finally understand what you are trying to do.
Very little features - was designed for the internet/computer inept
Places a Yahoo! banner on your page IF you have your url forwarded.

I disagree it might have happened before , but now updating nameserver doesnt require any email to be sent , its easy to change nameserver . I say yahoo domains are good for their price.

•••
I hear people have a difficult time to transfer away.

•••
$2.99 domain names now

From Yahoo! Small Business today:

Domains
$9.95 [now] $2.99 1 / year
(save 70%)
Register a domain name (yourdomain.com) as the first step to creating an online presence for yourself or your business. Once you have your domain name, it can be the foundation for custom email addresses or the location for your web site or online store, should you decide to build them. Yahoo! Domains includes:

* Domain name registration for 1-5 years
* The most popular domain name extensions (.com, .net, .org, .biz, .info, .us)
* 24-hour toll-free phone support
* Domain forwarding so you can point visitors to an existing site
* Easy-to-use control panel with full DNS management capabilities
* Catch-all mailbox allows you to forward email sent to your domain name to a free Yahoo! Mail address (e.g. [email protected]).
* Bonus starter web page you can post at your domain name as a placeholder until you are ready to build a full web site
* Ability to easily upgrade to email and hosting plans

~~~~~~~~~~

Regards,
Keith

•••
Review

I've only registered with Yahoo! when I've found a link for cheap registration.

The user interface is clunky and getting support can be a real annoyance.

I'd say grab a name if you can get it cheap but move it to a better registrar after six months.

Richard

•••
I had the same experience with Yahoo billing me for domains that I transfered away. They shouldn't make your go into their control panel and cancel them if you transfered them.

•••
sumpin sumpin

I havea slew of renewals that may only be parked somewhere else. But the features don't really excite me and the interactivity with other registrars for extended domain hosting functions can be sticky. Middle of the road.

•••
Customer service is horrible!

Costumer service is horrible! Long delays in tranfers, Billing after cancellations, reud service reps etc. Stronly suggest you stay away form Yahoo Small business.

•••
Not bad / Not Good

Well, the thing that matters here is the trust that you can rarely give to many companies!
Yahoo is trusted!
but they dont have many options that DirectI / Enom/ ... but they provide some of them if you contact their support.
they dont have live chat support, but their email support and tell support(toll-free) is good.
I had one domain with them, and bought it for $1.99.
Its not great, but not bad ;)

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back