IT.COM

Yahoo sell Contest.com for 380K?

NameSilo
Watch
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I watched the contests.com live auction online, but didn't notice this name is owned by Yahoo. Nice find! Thanks!

•••
Ouch, Yahoo seem to be in some major trouble.

•••
Yahoo was in trouble the moment they stopped monitoring the groups and such for abuse. Uh oh, do they get a bailout too? *snicker*

•••
This is the first I've ever heard of a big company cracking and letting go of a big domain. The fact Yahoo wants to sell it takes away some of the value to me.

•••
This is the first I've ever heard of a big company cracking and letting go of a big domain. The fact Yahoo wants to sell it takes away some of the value to me.

Only takes value away from the success I thought Yahoo! was having. Guess not...

380k seems like pittance to what I thought was a huge internet mogul...

•••
They sold Contests.com - plural...not the singular.

TBH, I don't see $380,000 in value in that name....Sure, you could do something with it, but, imo, for that kind of money, you'd need a much more obviously product/service kind of name.

I think Yahoo were smart to take the cash...

•••
WIth their resources they could have built the domain up easily and sold it for much more. I see this as a sign of the times myself. Heck, I am looking into a new trade just in case.

•••
Same here DT -- it's not a bad domain and I'm sure it could prove profitable through development but there are a lot better domains you can get for $380k. I find this to be one of those awkward domains that seems great but wouldn't have a clue what to do with it -- again, it's not a bad domain but who is going to buy it? Pretty much every big company that could buy it already hold their contests on their own website -- why confuse people with a second domain?

It's highly untargeted traffic -- we have absolutely no idea what kind of contest visitors are looking for. Tech Crunch (who should really keep their mouth shut on things they know nothing about) suggested it was worth at least as much as Candy.com.. Really? I don't think so.

This domain imo compares well to Forums.com -- another domain that really seems great until you start thinking about how the heck you're going to monetize it.

They sold Contests.com - plural...not the singular.

TBH, I don't see $380,000 in value in that name....Sure, you could do something with it, but, imo, for that kind of money, you'd need a much more obviously product/service kind of name.

I think Yahoo were smart to take the cash...

•••
I watched the contests.com live auction online, but didn't notice this name is owned by Yahoo. Nice find! Thanks!

Smell like trouble for Yahoo!

•••
Same here DT -- it's not a bad domain and I'm sure it could prove profitable through development but there are a lot better domains you can get for $380k. I find this to be one of those awkward domains that seems great but wouldn't have a clue what to do with it -- again, it's not a bad domain but who is going to buy it? Pretty much every big company that could buy it already hold their contests on their own website -- why confuse people with a second domain?

It's highly untargeted traffic -- we have absolutely no idea what kind of contest visitors are looking for. Tech Crunch (who should really keep their mouth shut on things they know nothing about) suggested it was worth at least as much as Candy.com.. Really? I don't think so.

This domain imo compares well to Forums.com -- another domain that really seems great until you start thinking about how the heck you're going to monetize it.

good analogy. but contests can be paid by advertisers, etc. Get stuff free, enter to get stuff free. Its a huge email list/marketing potential that they sold with this domain name.

•••

totally agree

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back