IT.COM

new gtlds XYZ will change the paradigm on how domains can be used on the internet

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Constantin S

Top Member
Impact
"Something huge is coming your way. As in, massive, never seen before, game changer kind of huge! Curious to know what’s going on? Tune back into gen.xyz/AYDACFU"

The reveal date in set for June 1st 2017.

Let's see...IMO is just another bluff.

UPDATE: They basically reminded us that we can buy 6N, 7N, 8N and 9N...like we've expected just another bluff.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
More hype....

The date is the anniversary of millions of 1 cent .XYZ regs that are going to be deleting.

Maybe this time they are going to be free, because even at 1 cent the are overpriced.
I am waiting until they pay you to register any...

Brad

•••
More hype....

The date is the anniversary of millions of 1 cent .XYZ regs that are going to be deleting.

Maybe this time they are going to be free, because even at 1 cent the are overpriced.
I am waiting until they pay you to register any...

Brad
Paying people to register their domains, now that would be truly revolutionary! :)

•••
I think the person who decided to launch 1cent .xyz campaign is a dreamer

•••
I am not sure how this is classified under "NEWS", as this is just fluff at this moment.......If in fact they do come out with something that is a "GAME CHANGER", it will be news at that time....Until then, more fluff and horn blowing for no reason....

•••
Paying people to register their domains, now that would be truly revolutionary! :)

They already are paying for people to register their domains ... at $0.01 per domain that actually means they are losing $0.17 per domain because of the $0.18 ICANN fee. Plus they are likely paying some marketing amount to registrars because they aren't making profit on the sale either.

It's obviously going to be some sort of super renewal discount. The extension is a joke. Only a matter of time before it gets blacklisted outright because of spammers flocking to the cheap domains.

Note that I'm sure a few people will still have some sales .. which is normal considering the total reach and scope of .xyz ... but it's a downhill journey from here .. so unless you got in early with some exceptional domains you better hope your ride has good airbags and be thankful the domains were cheap.

What I hate most about this is that once all the names start dropping by the millions, everyone is going to start saying "I told you ngTLD's were a flop". When in fact just because .xyz is garbage in no way has anything to do with other individual ngTLD domains (which each should be assessed individually case by case based on their own merits).

•••
They aren't paying people, they are paying ICANN.

•••
Doesn't make much of a difference who they pay from a business sense ... either way they are paying for people to take their domains ... lol.

My guess is that the new renewal price will likely be $1 .. unless they truly are overly concerned with image over actual business fundamental .. in which case it'll likely be some silly small number again .. but hopefully they will wake up and save themselves .. eventually millions of domains will drop .. probably better for it to happen sooner than later so they can refocus and move forward on a better foundation.

•••
I was wondering what they were going to do last year when renewal time came up:

"How do you beat a penny? Another penny promotion? give them away free? do they start paying people to register domains?"

Maybe it'll come with a website builder?

Since they literally blew a horn about reg numbers, it's something very important to them. So they have to come up with something. We shall see shortly.

Last edited:
•••
Time for the yearly, "Renewals are approaching, let's see if we can BS domainers again"

XYZ will change the paradigm on how domains can be used on the internet

SEO spam: check
Email spam: check
Link Networks: check
Movie piracy sites: check
E-commerce sites: uncheck

Nothing innovative though.

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
.xyz what a joke, hype never works, game over for .xyz

•••
Doesn't make much of a difference who they pay from a business sense ... either way they are paying for people to take their domains ... lol.

My guess is that the new renewal price will likely be $1 .. unless they truly are overly concerned with image over actual business fundamental .. in which case it'll likely be some silly small number again .. but hopefully they will wake up and save themselves .. eventually millions of domains will drop .. probably better for it to happen sooner than later so they can refocus and move forward on a better foundation.

Doing a renewal fee at a $1.00 would cover the earlier ICANN fee investments and a very small "profit"

•••
I guess .xyz registry would permanently price their renewals at $5 or below.

•••
I guess .xyz registry would permanently price their renewals at $5 or below.
Doing it at $5 wouldn't make sense. Wouldn't they want to keep their numbers as high as possible?

Low numbers on renewal probably will cause a lot of harm.

•••
Doing it at $5 wouldn't make sense. Wouldn't they want to keep their numbers as high as possible?

Low numbers on renewal probably will cause a lot of harm.

They tried to keep the numbers high, but it didn't go well. They will probably stick to quality. As one of the poster said they might offer discounted renewals. IMO $5 is a fair deal for both registry and buyers (Especially in China where its popular).

•••

They tried to keep the numbers high, but it didn't go well. They will probably stick to quality. As one of the poster said they might offer discounted renewals. IMO $5 is a fair deal for both registry and buyers (Especially in China where its popular).
it is not popular in China. No development.

•••
Doing a renewal fee at a $1.00 would cover the earlier ICANN fee investments and a very small "profit"

Definitely not ... you need to keep in mind that the vast majority of the domains registered for $0.01 likely wouldn't even be renewed at the $0.17 ICANN.

The reason for that is that most of the volume of those domains in question were like $100 for 10000 domain bulk buys from speculators like @ikehook (well .. probably more like $1 for 100 .. lol) ... these speculartors most certainly would never pay 100x for the same portfolio ($1 per xyz) .. instead I'm thinking they's likely register 1/100th of the domains they originally got for $0.01 (check out this amazing @DomainSherpa review: http://www.domainsherpa.com/review-20160613/ )

Mathematically that would still cover their costs if domains were renewed at the 1:100 ratio .. but don't forget that the Registrars very likely wouldn't accept another year giving away these domains without a profit for themselves (not sure if they got paid anything extra last year).

But the real truth is that nothing but the best 10,000 .xyz domains will be worth keeping at any price because of the hassles of dealing with a junk domain that is likely blanket blacklisted for emails and who knows what else.

I personally have a bunch of really good .co .. and the high prices sucks for my pocket book as a domainer .. but the positive side is that it certainly has a much higher build-out rate and vastly lower spam rate.

Domains are not products that thrive at give-away prices ... in fact super cheap prices have a history of hurting TLD's .. it's nothing new.

•••
.xyz killed themselves with the promotions and freebies. It looked great for a year or two but now no one wants to develop on this extension anymore. They have branded themselves as junk forever.

•••
.xyz killed themselves with the promotions and freebies. It looked great for a year or two but now no one wants to develop on this extension anymore. They have branded themselves as junk forever.
I have used them for "junk practice websites" example Angry Angry Man + Fun Lesson but for true dev I would really be wanting the .com, even if longer

•••
•••
•••
Uniregistry's marketing email for it:

A new paradigm of innovation with XYZ
Hi,

If someone told you in 2010 to buy $100 worth of Bitcoin, would you have done it?

Today, I am happy to share one of the most exciting pieces of news for our industry since the gTLD program was announced nearly one decade ago. To foster innovation and creativity on the Internet, Uniregistry will now offer 1.111 billion .xyz domains for just $0.99 per year to register, renew, and transfer. These domains, coined the 1.111B Class, include all 6-digit, 7-digit, 8-digit, and 9-digit numeric .xyz domains between 000000.xyz and 999999999.xyz.

But that’s not all, to celebrate our partnership with .xyz, customers can register and renew their favorite 1.111B Class domain names at Uniregistry for only $0.88 in our Early Bird sale from May 31 - November 10 2017.

The 1.111B Class is the first-of-its-kind platform to encourage utilization of domains for nontraditional purposes. Nominal overhead costs allow businesses and entrepreneurs to affordably register blocks of .xyz domains (e.g. everything between 1230000.xyz - 1239999.xyz or all dates between 01012018.xyz - 12312018.xyz), which can then be paired with Internet of Things (IoT) device serial numbers, used as vanity addresses for system networks, matched to phone numbers or identification numbers, traded as digital currencies, or repurposed for any other type of creative function.

The 1.111B Class is a truly innovative solution to the needs that have emerged from new technologies on the Internet. To see the level of pent-up demand for affordable vanity identifiers, look no further than IPv4. In 2011, all 4.3 billion IPv4 addresses (such as 192.168.0.1) were exhausted.(1) As recently as May 2017, a /22 block (1,024 IPv4 addresses) sold in the aftermarket for $13,824 USD(2) - that’s $13.50 per address that used to be free! To register a similar block in the 1.111B Class today would cost less than 10% of that!

According to Yahoo! Finance, $100 worth of Bitcoin 7 years ago is now worth over $70 million(3) due to the scarcity of the currency today. At the time of this writing, 99% of 1.111B Class .xyz domains are still available. And to make mining for the best domains easier, .xyz has developed a powerful free search tool to download available patterns and blocks that you can bulk register at Uniregistry.

There are a myriad of uses for low cost domain registrations and I am certain the creative minds of our customers will find ways to put these permanently low cost assets to use. There is no reward without risk and fortune favors the bold. Invest responsibly, and good luck to you!

Sincerely,
Frank

Frank Schilling, Founder & CEO of Uniregistry​

(1) http://www.computerworld.com/articl...e--icann-assigns-its-last-ipv4-addresses.html
(2) http://www.ipv4auctions.com/previous_auctions/
(3) https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bought-100-bitcoin-7-years-081422112.html

Last edited:
•••
Ah, this nonsense of comparing totally unrelated things to sell something. There was also a suggestion to buy a lot of .sexy domains.

•••
I've updated the main post so more people will find about this.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back