Dynadot

new gtlds .XYZ Becomes 1st New gTLD To Top 900,000 Registrations

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

News

Hand-picked NewsTop Member
Impact
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
Yeah, right.

Cooking the stats.

According to Bram on The Domains (Comment section):

-- 42% of all.xyz domains were given away for free (Netsol)

-- 41% of all .xyz domains were sold at around $1-$2 a pop (Xin Net + GMO + Chengdu + Alibaba)

-- At least 10% of .xyz domain registrations had a huge discount as well at various registrars.

-- Basically this leaves 7% paid .xyz registrations at a regular price (around 63,000 .XYZ registrations).​

My guess: without the freebies and the $1 .xyz domains they would not have reached 100K registrations by now.​

Let's see how many of these are actually renewed BY THEIR OWNERS.

•••
Indeed, 2016 is going to be the deciding factor for .xyz . It will tell us whether .xyz (at least the best names) will survive.

I wonder if .xyz might be break the record for 900,000 domain drops. :D

•••
At least .XYZ is truly a new generic. For those few people who registered .rocks and .ninja (for example).. these were sold for .99 cents also for a lot of them.. they're gonna drop like rocks (pun intended) a year from now.

I also think .XYZ will become more popular in China as time goes on.. so that market should also drive it up.

In my opinion .biz and .mobi are on the way out.. though .mobi has been on the decline for a few years. And .XYZ and .CLUB are on their way "in."

Last edited:
•••
xyz is as generic as .sdkfajasdfljk

still useless, and not attractive.

can't even give my short xyz domains away.

•••
Is this extension even marketed in the west world anymore?

•••
•••
I'll take them as well. :D

•••
Time will tell. I had 3, dropped 2. See how many people start Developing.xyz domain names. I haven't seen or heard of many sales. O'Leary says numbers don't lie. That doesn't apply to domaining

Last edited:
•••
Will .xyz be #1 in drops this year? Time will tell!

•••
#1 in drops will be .biz

•••
At least .XYZ is truly a new generic.
Generic ? How ?

I also think .XYZ will become more popular in China as time goes on.. so that market should also drive it up.
Why in China in particular ? They already have .top for spamming and selling counterfeit goods.
Oh wait, there is also .pw that spammers love :)

O'Leary says numbers don't lie. That doesn't apply to domaining
The numbers may not lie, but still be misleading.
That's precisely what the .xyz registry does: cheat, show off and mislead.

A more relevant measure of value is development (along with trust and mindshare), and this is where all new extensions will fail miserably. The numbers cannot conceal the abysmal failure in terms of actual use of the domains.

•••
Why in China in particular ? They already have .top for spamming and selling counterfeit goods.
Oh wait, there is also .pw that spammers love :)

thumbs-up.jpg

True. Good point. B-):D

•••
I think .xyz is giveaway.. saw it few months ago, but i just don't like the extension.

•••
Xyz is 3 letter extension still it doesn't make any sense.

Waiting for .web

•••
Pls what is d meaning of

•••
•••
•••
Selling all mine for $2 each

•••
Just a comparison, .XYZ now has almost 200,000 more registrations than .Mobi. They say .XYZ gave away 300,000 free domains. Not bad for .XYZ to almost pass .Mobi in number of registrations in less than a year.

•••
The real danger for .XYZ is that many of those freebies and robot registrations will be dropped now that it comes time to renew. The gTLD has to keep getting new domain registrations to compensate for the traditionally low renewal rates on freebies and discounted domain names.

Regards...jmcc

•••
I see .xyz becoming as good as .ws

.nyc is even better..despite the limited area, i guarantee it will have more developed sites and more flips/end-user sales.

just my opinion. .xyc will bomb

i mean.xyz... smh

•••
I see .xyz becoming as good as .ws

.nyc is even better..despite the limited area, i guarantee it will have more developed sites and more flips/end-user sales.

just my opinion. .xyc will bomb

i mean.xyz... smh

There are pretty clear differences.

.ws is a cctld that was heavily marketed to mean "web site." Over the years .ws has generally cost $15 - $30 to renew. .xyz costs the same as .com or less $8 - $12 to renew.

.xyz is frankly easier to remember. And people are choosing to register .xyz at a time when there are '1,000' alternative ngtlds. Whereas back in the early 2000's when people were registering .ws domains, there were not as many alternatives available.

An additional note.. Over the last few months, I have noticed .xyz growing in interest both from end users, e.g: registration number, and also domain domain forums.

I hope .XYZ will come out as a long-term winner. Though it's impossible to say for sure with new releases coming later this year.

•••
There are pretty clear differences.

.ws is a cctld that was heavily marketed to mean "web site." Over the years .ws has generally cost $15 - $30 to renew. .xyz costs the same as .com or less $8 - $12 to renew.

.xyz is frankly easier to remember. And people are choosing to register .xyz at a time when there are '1,000' alternative ngtlds. Whereas back in the early 2000's when people were registering .ws domains, there were not as many alternatives available.

An additional note.. Over the last few months, I have noticed .xyz growing in interest both from end users, e.g: registration number, and also domain domain forums.

I hope .XYZ will come out as a long-term winner. Though it's impossible to say for sure with new releases coming later this year.
I am assuming you invested in .xyz. I do hope you get a good return.
However, only time will tell. Especially if the above facts are right...42% given away, similar amount sold for $2 or less, etc Plus people being happy toselltheir .xyz's for $2??

If renewals come around to be much higher and people actually renew then i will give it a second look.
When I speak of .ws I am more speaking on brand power. It's a point where I saw names.ws forsale among others and it struggled to garner bids.

But It's just my opinion so i could be wrong.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back