Dynadot

discuss XR domains - Umbrella term for AR VR MR (all reality technologies)

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Elad n

Account Closed (Requested)
Impact
XR can be X Reality or Extended Reality.

Either way it describes the spectrum just like mixed reality.

Been looking around and shopping for a while now, saw many companies choosing to rebrand to xr or just starting with xr in their names..

Those are only some of my findings that are already developed (there are many more undeveloped by major companies like unity/sony etc..)

Decide for yourself.

Gl.

E

xr-room.com

xrgames.io

hyperspacexr.com

innereyexr.com

biomexr.com

inspacexr.com

HumanXR.com

agencyxr.com

ascentxr.com

womenxr.com

conductxr.com

Xiality.com

FeelXRstudio.com

ShowroomXR.com

FitXR.com

XRconnects.com

orchardxr.com

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They left these so I grabbed them.....

xrMagicLeapOne.com

MagicLeapOneXR.com

xrMagicLeap.com

MagicLeapXR.com

If you just start domaining, please educate yourself before regging a single domain.

•••
Last edited:
•••
•••
VRandXR.com

XRandVR.com

You apparently don't know what XR is. XR means all immersive technologies, including VR. You need to do a lot of research before you waste more of your money..

•••
Thanks again - both currently have four figure bids on them so I guess I'm learning

Last edited:
•••
•••
😏 This industry attracts all kinds of interesting characters...

•••
•••
See how XR and 3D scanning is improving home improvement at XRDC!
lowesholoroom.jpg

•••
•••
•••
Sounds to me like rumors, but XR investors best hope Apple don’t call their next iPhone ‘iPhoneXr’ as the XR meaning, what people are investing in XR for now will go out of the window.

The destruction of the term will be similar to what Microsoft did with Mixed Reality, probably even to a greater extant because i have a feeling ‘XR’ wouldn’t represent anything virtual related for Apple.

•••
Sounds to me like rumors, but XR investors best hope Apple don’t call their next iPhone ‘iPhoneXr’ as the XR meaning, what people are investing in XR for now will go out of the window.

The destruction of the term will be similar to what Microsoft did with Mixed Reality, probably even to a greater extant because i have a feeling ‘XR’ wouldn’t represent anything virtual related for Apple.

Not that I believe Apple would name their phone XR but all the tech guys in Apple including Tim Cook knows what XR is and what it stands for.

Only last year Tim Cook was saying AR was the future.

Why would you think it impossible that Apple would name their product to fit the ambitions it's aiming for?

Also even if they did name it XR and it had no link to Extended Reality. That doesn't mean XR no longer stands for Extended Reality.

Lots of companies use VR acronym to represent Vacation Rentals. That doesn't mean that VR can't stand for Virtual Reality.

Last edited:
•••

its funny , as your bad is my good :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

•••
It would be a benefit to XR domain investors if the phone is named XR for reasons related to what the actual term actually means. Otherwise...if it's just a gimmicky, meaningless name for the phone that could confuse consumers' view on the term and because the iPhone is a popular product that would not be be good for XR domain investors.

But as stated by NamePov, I think that Tim Cook and the folks at apple understand what XR means. It would be very weird if they did that...knowing how important the term is to the dev community. It would be a huge mistake on their part actually....

I'm very hopeful that it is NOT the name of their new phone, because it wouldn't make sense from the standpoint that Apple is investing a lot of resources to develop a product that they're hoping to make a mark in the XR/Immersive Tech industry....but let's see. Life is full of (sometimes very disappointing) surprises lol...

Last edited:
•••

Btw the term Mixed Reality hasn't been destroyed yet.

Magic Leap are still calling their content Mixed Reality.

We just have not got to the stage yet where mixed reality is really a commercial entity.

Yeah what Microsoft have branded mixed reality so far is pretty much VR.

It was only a few years ago people were saying AR is a useless term.

Recently AR names have been selling in the mid $x,xxx range.

Majority of the tech world says XR represents (VR/AR/MR)

If MR was dead no one would still be referring to it has a separate entity.

We have to remember it's only 2018. These techs still got a lot of maturing to do.

JMO though.

Last edited:
•••
Not that I believe Apple would name their phone XR but all the tech guys in Apple including Tim Cook knows what XR is and what it stands for.

Only last year Tim Cook was saying AR was the future.

Why would you think it impossible that Apple would name their product to fit the ambitions it's aiming for?

Also even if they did name it XR and it had no link to Extended Reality. That doesn't mean XR no longer stands for Extended Reality.

Lots of companies use VR acronym to represent Vacation Rentals. That doesn't mean that VR can't stand for Virtual Reality.

The difference is though everyone knows what Virtual Reality (VR) and Vacation Rentals (VR) are and what they represent, they are established industries, XR isn’t. 95% of the world doesn’t yet know what Extended Reality (XR) is, you read on social media speakers at VR/AR events having to explain to people what XR is and people still struggle to get it.

If Apple call their new iPhone ‘iPhoneXR’ it will be even more difficult as people will go “isn’t XR the new iPhone”? How can that be a positive for something yet unestablished? It will only add even more confusement to a term that is already causing confusement.

Also i very much doubt Apple call their phone XR related to virtual tech, Apple don’t often jump on bandwagons, they invent their own terms for tech.

As for Microsoft, i think i posted at the time, that was finished soon as Microsoft started calling their VR devices ‘MR’ that’s when ‘Mixed Reality’ became a marketing term for Microsoft and you knew the term was going nowhere, unless Microsoft drops the term and the damage they’ve done with it repairs over time, i think that will always be the case as far as companies not ever branding around it and with that domain sales.

Last edited:
•••
The difference is though everyone knows what Virtual Reality (VR) and Vacation Rentals (VR) are and what they represent, they are established industries, XR isn’t. 95% of the world doesn’t yet know what Extended Reality (XR) is, you read on social media speakers at VR/AR events having to explain to people what XR is and people still struggle to get it.

If Apple call their new iPhone ‘iPhoneXR’ it will be even more difficult as people will go “isn’t XR the new iPhone”? How can that be a positive for something yet unestablished? It will only add even more confusement to a term that is already causing confusement.

Also i very much doubt Apple call their phone XR related to virtual tech, Apple don’t often jump on bandwagons, they invent their own terms for tech.

As for Microsoft, i think i posted at the time, that was finished soon as Microsoft started calling their VR devices ‘MR’ that’s when ‘Mixed Reality’ became a marketing term for Microsoft and you knew the term was going nowhere, unless Microsoft drops the term and the damage they’ve done with it repairs over time, i think that will always be the case as far as companies not ever branding around it and with that domain sales.

Ok I get what you are saying about people not directly within the industry getting what XR is.

But most people who are likely to buy our names are within the industry. These are some of the same companies changing from VR branded names to XR branded names.

The reason why Microsoft adopted mixed reality was because of a future eco system that will be more than just VR. Yes XR would have made more sense, but their future product line will eventually be mixed reality.

Two of the biggest touted future headsets are the Hololens, and Magic Leap (Whatever their future versions will be called):ROFL:

Both of these tech contents are being called mixed reality by their respective owners.

That is enough for me to see mixed reality and therefore even XR won't be totally reliant on tech that is produced in 2018.

If you don't think that these techs are going to evolve beyond 2018 I get your point.

But I think we both know. Microsoft will eventually come out with a real mixed reality headset which be be improved upon as years go by.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not sure how you think both XR and MR can have a future mate, if MR has a future, XR won't and with that if XR has a future MR won't as they both basically mean the same thing and with that contradict themselves.

If you invested in both terms i think there comes a time (and the time is probably now) where you have to look at what term you believe in most and get rid of your investments the other, excluding your very best names, keep those just to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
•••
I'm not sure how you think both XR and MR can have a future mate, if MR has a future, XR won't and with that if XR has a future MR won't as they both basically mean the same thing and with that contradict themselves.

If you invested in both terms i think there comes a time (and the time is probably now) where you have to look at what term you believe in most from an investment point of view and get rid of the other.

XR = VR AR MR

•••
•••
XR = VR/AR

MR = VR/AR

No that is incorrect mate.

MR is an advancement beyond Augmented Reality.

XR is an umbrella term.

The reason why MR is not gonna make it as you put it is because it's 2018. 2018 is VR's time and the start of AR's time.

MR still got quite a bit of a way to go tech wise. Both Microsoft and Magic Leap know this.

Last edited:
•••
No that is incorrect mate.

MR is an advancement beyond Augmented Reality.

XR is an umbrella term.

Sorry yeah MR is VR/AR mixed (doing 2 things at once, typing as I'm working so not fully concentrating) . But my point still stands, too many abbreviations. All not will co-exist.

•••
Sorry yeah MR is VR/AR mixed (doing 2 things at once, typing as I'm working so not fully concentrating) . But my point still stands, too many abbreviations. All not will co-exist.

Well maybe mate who knows what the future holds 100%.

But in 2018 XR is the umbrella term for VR/AR/MR

So some people must believe the three techs can co-exist and remain under the umbrella term XR.

If you was asking my honest opinion do I like XR or Mixed Reality more as a brand term. My answer would be XR.

It offers companies a greater future scope.

But I will let you get back to concentrating at working, sorry if my posts caused more back and forth than you had intended(y)

•••

Sorry, you can't do VR and AR at the same time. Sounds like you're confusing Augmented Virtuality. Mixed Reality is simply AR that is more "virtual" with interactive 3D objects as opposed to only flat virtual displays, but because many think it's advanced AR the term MR will always be controversial, especially since MR ruined it by changing its definition a few times and trying to make it it's own brand.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back