IT.COM

events X.com --> Twitter rebrand

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

HotKey

Made in CanadaTop Member
Impact
Perhaps the biggest rebrand of our generation, Musk announced yesterday he was looking for a new X logo for Twitter and could implement it as soon as today.

It will be interesting because the blue bird has always been synonymous with Twitter. It will take some getting used to a new logo, but even more confusion may come with a complete domain rebrand.

Today Elon announced he is forwarding his, and arguably the most valuable domain name of all domains, X.com to Twitter:

X.com has always remained something of an enigma to the rest of the world because it has never actually been developed into a full-fledged site. The history behind it including a relationship with Musk's previously owned company, PayPal, has always been a sort of fleeting one, reminiscent of Twitter current logo of a bird: one that never settles but always finds its branch.

The logo rebrand will be implemented, but I wonder, will we be using X.com instead of Twitter.com in the near future and how would this kind of rebrand affect folks emotionally, sentimentally, business-wise? "X" name is awesome, sure, but "Twitter" name seems a more safe, neutral brand for the masses. Or maybe people just won't care, there's a lot invested by companies and persons in the platform to swing away to an alternative.

Maybe this will be solely a logo change, and x.com will remain a forwarding tool in perpetuity. Elon has already begun development on his X.ai, would it be smarter to keep the "X" brand associated to that rather than changing Twitter, or is this a kind of complete amalgamation.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Those who hate the re-brand of “Twitter” to “X.com” are projecting and hate Elon imo.

Go Elon, go!!

Last edited:
•••
I'm loving all you haters. Keep hating if that's all you can offer.

The banking industry is overdue for disruption, and Elon is the only person who is trying to do anything about it and is actually able to do it. But no, you guys prefer for Wall Street to continue to rip you off with ridiculous fees, transfers that take forever, 0% saving account yields, and massive profits for everyone but you, the consumer.

People would rather let their ignorance and idiotic personal views interfere with what's definitely going to become one of the most useful companies in U.S. history

•••
I don't care if it is a pointless rebrand or a great rebrand, as long as my X domains are getting more offers due to it hahaha. Got this nice offer today of $25,000 for XNetwork.com, but counter offered.

xnetwork-offer.png

Last edited:
•••
It will probably be about as impactful as Google ---> Alphabet.

Everyone still goes to Google.com and calls the company "Google".

I personally don't like the idea of some all-in-one app, controlled by a single entity.

Brad
Yes I agree, it would create a "blanket" rules effect where something that doesn't have really anything to do with the other is still governed by it.

Google didn't rebrand tho, it still remains a search engine and branded as Google while owned by Alphabet the parent company. Which was smart, some things are so ingrained they should not be changed.

*edit oh you edited, point in case thx

Last edited:
•••
•••
You know what is genius, that he makes everybody talk about it, more exposure, more people will be curious, more activity on the platform.
𝕏 monthly users reach new high in 2023

x-twitter-traffic.png

Source

Last edited:
•••
Sometimes rebrands are just stupid or pointless.

Is this rebrand all of a sudden going to make Twitter profitable? :ROFL:

They have a lot of other fundamental issues to address outside the domain name.

Brad
The smart people know Twitter has had a monetization problem for ages— It will be fascinating to see how the re-brand affects the bottom-line moving forward. My Elon affinity bias; says it will increase monetization; but his detractors say this major re-brand will ruin.

Let’s find out! i think it’s an upgrade imo.

Last edited:
•••
•••
That's a pretty funny chart starting at 525 million and going to 540 million.

It makes it look like the numbers doubled when in reality it went up 1.8%.

Brad

Twitter / X monthly active users in 2022: 368 million and now in 2023: 541 million and rising.

Source

Let that sink in Brad. P.S. remember to change your signature to X in the future.

Last edited:
•••
Whoa, all mention of Twitter is gone from log in page. Safe to assume this is more than a passing fad.

new-twitter.jpg

•••
It's a pitty. X is a great brand but Elon killed it.

I see clients leaving "X" for TikTok now. Nothing good will come from that.

Twitter has been a "reliable" brand for ages, now not so much.
Maybe but Ticktock is mostly used by kids isn't it? And isn't it being banned in many places for Chinese surveillance?

Some people may not like Elon, regardless of the rebrand and even when Twitter ends up forwarding to x.com I'm beginning to think a complete rebrand --> (brand name + domain name) for this kind of entity may not make much of a difference to its users as long as the platform remains what we're used to.

Almost two decades of content hard to dismiss, and in news articles they have been sure to reinforce something like:

Such and such was posted on X, formerly known as Twitter.

•••
Yep, the free version.

I don't need to pay for a little blue check to feel important.

Brad
indeed, no need for that, but we want to reach people right, now more people will like your tweets, more eyeballs, be happy, cheers.

Last edited:
•••
Everything is referenced as X now except for the actual resolving domain name. Getting all their ducks in a row. This is a good example of taking your time to do it right. Mind the confusion before the change.

I feel bad for the websites that constantly have to put "X, formerly known as Twitter" when referencing it. It's almost like having to spell out your domain because it doesn't pass the radio test.

•••
"The “business genius” rebranded a globally recognized brand and neologism to a logo that is just the Unicode Character “𝕏” and an unlicensed font from @Monotype, so it can’t be trademarked, without securing the @X handle while bleeding ad revenue to become a “finance” app
👍
"

----------------------------

Twitter's new 'X' logo looks suspiciously like a generic Unicode symbol​

https://www.businessinsider.com/twitter-x-logo-unicode-math-textbooks-2023-7

"Twitter has a new logo thanks to a major rebrand that Elon Musk announced over the weekend: 𝕏.

But the new branding looks suspiciously like a generic Unicode character known as "mathematical double-struck capital X" that was added to the Unicode in March 2001.

(Unicode is an international computing standard in which every character or symbol has a specific numerical value that can be used across platforms.)

Matthew Scroggs, a postdoctoral research fellow at University College London, tweeted — or is it "x'd" now? — that the character has "been used in mathematical text books since the 70s."
You know what is genius, that he makes everybody talk about it, more exposure, more people will be curious, more activity on the platform. He can always change the logo, I think he even said it will change in the future.

•••
XAdvertising

in king. What do you think?

•••
Why would it make any difference though?

Twitter went from basically a break even type company before Elon to a massive revenue loss after Elon.

Advertisers have not abandoned Twitter because the brand is called "Twitter".

Why would changing the domain or brand make any difference?

It is basically fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

Brad

This doesn't look like a break even company to me:
https://www.statista.com/statistics/274563/annual-net-income-of-twitter/

Twitter has always had an issue with monetization.

•••
Why would it make any difference though?

Twitter went from basically a break even type company before Elon to a massive revenue loss after Elon.

Advertisers have not abandoned Twitter because the brand is called "Twitter".

Why would changing the domain or brand make any difference?

It is basically fixing a problem that doesn't exist.

Brad
Yeh it's Elon's sandbox, sifting through his powerful brandables as he sees fit. Remember what he did with the Shiba logo? X.com doesn't have the nearly the impact of what Twitter.com has built, it's something that has an image in one's mind when visiting and using.

See, I don't think we should be so quick to throw away a foundation built on a domain that is proven and works particularly one used by millions. This isn't a personal site even though he uses it as such.

I'm sure he has been grappling with what to do with X.com for so long now and perhaps wants to make Twitter a personal legacy.

Don't get me wrong, X is a phenomenal brand I'm just not sure it aligns with what we think of when we envision "Twitter".

•••
All I can think is that the timing of the Threads launch was borderline brilliant.

•••
•••
Hi

after seeing it in the tag lines of tv reports, i think the "X" looks much better than the bird.

this also was big promo for .com extension.

imo...

•••
If Twitter is actually replaced, that is going to cause a lot of headaches for people who have that link on their website, business cards, marketing materials, etc.

It's a good lesson about not building a primary part of your business on a 3rd party platform.

Brad

•••
1690749285380.png

"Protect our animal species, before it's too late"

Last edited:
•••
X.com (twitter.com) is the world's 5th most visited website.

similarweb.png

Source / Similarweb

Last edited:
•••
Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back