Domain Empire

.ws .WS - The Discussion, Showcase and Sales Report Thread

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

hugegrowth

DomainMedia.caTop Member
Impact
Well the .WS registry has been in the news this week for releasing all 5N to 20N combinations last night, and 2 and 3 character .ws will be available later in Feb with new pricing scheme.

.WS registry also has a presence on NP now:
https://www.namepros.com/threads/ws...-ws-domains-will-be-released-tomorrow.915224/

Obviously the China story may be creating a new market for short .WS domains. ALL of the NNNN.ws were bought out over three days this past December according to thedomains.com blog.

I registered some 5N.ws last night when they were released, anyone else stepping into .WS now?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
neiyi.ws ( chinese for lingerie )

•••
I am dropping all except maybe a few 4N that end in '88'. Was worth a shot the way the market was back then. Renewal price is pretty steep though, was expecting it to drop.

•••
you guys can all hate me for this post i dont care .ws is crap it belongs in the toilet ..

•••
you guys can all hate me for this post i dont care .ws is crap it belongs in the toilet ..

I think your message is a bit harsh, but I am starting to agree this is the case for almost all ccTLDs and gTLDs. They are tough to sell. Yes, some have sold, but for the most part, they are tough to sell.

•••
Agreed - but then again when you manage to make profit from flipping crapola like LLLL.biz or random LLLLL.com you kind of get overly optimistic.

Oh, well, out of sight out of mind. No more CHIPS for me, thank you very much. Back to a healthy diet of... well, other crap - the ones that actually have potential end users.

•••
•••
Some of my single word are maybe worth keeping, I will likely drop the rest, best transfer I can find is around $14-15. Mine were $3-8, total investment $93, glad I kept it minimal

The words I may keep that were inspired by the mess of the WS launch are FAIL and STUPID : wink :
Please break links if you have any comments

Kudos to @Domain Shane @christopherjohn @Rizki for the stupid confirmation : grin :

Don't take these out of context, they were all compliments!
Rizki
I am calling you stupid too Shane.
Post by: Rizki, Mar 9, 2016 in forum: ccTLD Discussion
christopherjohn
As someone who's taken a manageable risk on .ws myself, then let me call you stupid too!
Post by: christopherjohn, Mar 9, 2016 in forum: ccTLD Discussion
Domain Shane
...told I was wasting my money. So far the more people calling me stupid the better chance I have of making money. The more people that pat me...
Post by: Domain Shane, Mar 9, 2016 in forum: ccTLD Discussion

•••
Best hope now for .ws is that it gets approved in China and somehow catches on.

•••
Best hope now for .ws is that it gets approved in China and somehow catches on.

And they lower their renewal prices :(

An interesting fact, little known or widely known, Is Google treats it as a TLD. The same as .com.

•••
Anyone found transfer lower than $14-15? I have an old wholesale account at $13 but transfer is failing, haven't made a ticket yet to find out why.

•••
•••
I'm planning to just drop all of mine. I don't think they're worth even thinking about anymore. The main play was the Chinese craze and it's gone.

•••
I agree, though I wouldn't mind holding some of my best in case China starts heating up again. Of the many many different non .com chips I bought about a year ago, haven't had any kind of interest. But with a lower renewal I'd still hold onto a few.

•••
If you have chinese "pinyin" .ws I wouldnt let them drop too soon but you must have the very best. We have a few like fangdichan.ws ( "real estate") etc.

•••
I agree, though I wouldn't mind holding some of my best in case China starts heating up again. Of the many many different non .com chips I bought about a year ago, haven't had any kind of interest. But with a lower renewal I'd still hold onto a few.

What are you considering your best? You don't have to share actual if you don't want, just categories

I have 2 at hexonet that I am prevented from renewing because I get an error that they are premium, can't figure out what that means, they are 5N, bought for normal price

•••
What are you considering your best? You don't have to share actual if you don't want, just categories

I have 2 at hexonet that I am prevented from renewing because I get an error that they are premium, can't figure out what that means, they are 5N, bought for normal price
What? you own the names how can they not renew? If it's a real premium go get an attorney.

•••
Beats me, as I understood from ngTLDs if a registry decides later to "Premiumize" your name they have to give you fair warning and option to renew at then current cost. I tried to transfer one just out of curiosity and gaining registry gives me the error "Rejected By Registrar"

I seriously doubt they are Premium, most likely some error from Hexonet, but I plan to find out.

•••
I'm planning to just drop all of mine. I don't think they're worth even thinking about anymore. The main play was the Chinese craze and it's gone.
Nat-didnt some well known domainers buy into this extension in a big way? TY

•••

My best would be like NNNN chips ending in 88.
Or LLLL chips starting with BJ, SH and so on.

•••
Nat-didnt some well known domainers buy into this extension in a big way? TY
I bought $20K worth and dropped every single one except my LL, NN, and NNN. Owner I worked with is gone and present management seemingly has no interest in spending any money on anything. Evidenced by their lack of marketing, communication, and infrastructure. MY OPINION ONLY would be to not touch these until something changes. I only kept the short as a risky bet and because they are the highest quality names you can buy in dot .ws. Which is like saying you have the best old bald tire from the junkyard.

in short, I bought names based on promises and a business plan by a former owner that never panned out and I lost a good amount of money. It happens and I keep looking for more opportunity in domain investing. It is presently not in .ws

•••
If you have chinese "pinyin" .ws I wouldnt let them drop too soon but you must have the very best. We have a few like fangdichan.ws ( "real estate") etc.
London,
For the last year I have followed your buys of obscure names and tlds. I am curious, do you sell any and for how much? Trying to learn here as I don't see any value in any of your names. But then again, I bought $20K in .ws so I obviously have no concept of domain value

•••
London,
For the last year I have followed your buys of obscure names and tlds. I am curious, do you sell any and for how much? Trying to learn here as I don't see any value in any of your names. But then again, I bought $20K in .ws so I obviously have no concept of domain value[/QUOT
Interesting that you'd find the exact pinyin name for "real estate" (fangdichan) as "obscure". Do you have any idea what the fangdichan.com would be worth? Or what the .ws will be worth if .ws becomes the default for .cn? That's the bet we're making. I bought MSFT in 1990 and still own it so I think I have patience. Happy New Year.

•••
We're all making bets. I just told you how my .ws was a bad one. The only issue is when I want to buy another domain or pay a bill, at some point the patience has to turn into cash. Just curious where yours did.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back