Dynadot .com transfer sale, only $10.12 with coupon code DYNA12, available while supplies last, ends October 31, 2026.

Would you wait, or act now?

Namecheap AuctionsNamecheap Auctions
SpaceshipSpaceship
SpaceshipSpaceship
Watch

EricH

Established Member
Impact
1
There is a domain name I'm wanting to buy. The person who has it now hasn't done anything with it since they purchased it in April of last year, and it expires April of this year. My question is this, would you wait for the name to expire and go through it's 180 wait period? Or, would you act now and make an offer to the current owner? The biggest problem is I'm broke, so I could maybe offer low $xx for it (if not reg fee).


So, would you act now, or wait and take a gamble?
 
0
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
GoDaddyGoDaddy
You could always make him an offer after he renews it if he does.

Wait...
 
0
•••
That might backfire if ou offer him low $XX and he might think its worth more and then he might renew the name and will want even more for it. -_- Or he might just sell for low $XX. It's a risk.
 
0
•••
On a side note, it's not registered to a "company", it's in a person's name to a PO Box. So, I'm not thinking it's a company, I'm guessing it's a person who thought I'l just.... whatever... and hasn't/won't. Maybe I'll go with Qwerts suggestion. Maybe he won't renew, if he does.. act then. Thanks
 
0
•••
EricH said:
On a side note, it's not registered to a "company", it's in a person's name to a PO Box. So, I'm not thinking it's a company, I'm guessing it's a person who thought I'l just.... whatever... and hasn't/won't. Maybe I'll go with Qwerts suggestion. Maybe he won't renew, if he does.. act then. Thanks
I agree, if he hasn't done anything then he probably won't renew.
 
0
•••
I'd wait.. if you make an offer, it'll tip him off.
 
0
•••
Yea..but if it is a good name there is a chance that all these drop catch people would take it before you...
Just think if the name is good drop domain.
 
0
•••
i would wait!

if he finds that you are interested in it, he will renew it and ask for a lot more, or he will try to sell it elsewhere if he sees that there is an interest.
 
0
•••
Wow this is a really tricky situation and not to mention risky, either make and offer and hope that he accepts it (if he doesn't the domain might be renewed) or wait till it's ready to be deleted and you are lucky to grab it if its not such a popular name that it is in demand.
 
0
•••
I would wait. If it was such a great name it probably wouldn't have been available last April, and if it's just sitting there doing nothing then I don't think it will be picked up in the drop.

Just my 2 cents.
 
0
•••
Another side note, the name isn't a 'overly great' name or anything. Just a name that would be extremely easy to remember in it's industry.
 
0
•••
yes i agree, waiting would be the best thing to do...he will try and get more from other people and you dont have the money to keep raising
 
0
•••
I myself would contact the owner, there is a chance you can get it cheap or not. Even if its a not so great name dont mean someone else dont have an eye on it and is ready to use all tools available to aquire it when it gets closer to its expiration.

Simply because a name isnt being used and if it expires only in April, who knows if it will be renewed, too early to tell. I sometimes wait 30 days after my names expire then renew them.
 
0
•••
AIVikingsAIVikings

We're social

Escrow.com
Spaceship
Escrowly
CryptoExchange.com
Domain Recover

NamePros updates

New in Parking: updated way to act on many domains or inquiries at once
Your domain list and inquiry list now have a bar above and below the list. Check the items you want, then choose an action in the bar...
AIVikings
Catchy
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back