Dynadot

question Would you use SEDO's domain price suggestion? Why? Or why not?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

WhoaDomain.com

WhoaDomain.comTop Member
Impact
I'm contemplating on making things easy for myself and simply globally accepting all the SEDO domain price suggestions which to me look a bit on the low side. What do you guys think? Are the Sedo domain price suggestions accurate? I know they are automated but is the automation based on something like age of domain? length? and maybe specific keywords? or is there domain suggestion tool crap unless you pay for an appraisal? kinda like Estibot?

or perhaps there's a way to use these price suggestions of SEDO to our advantage by simply taking what suggestions they make and just times 5 or 6 times? and set that as your buy now price? or maybe more? is that too much of a reach?

Opinions wanted. thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No
Reason: They value my 3 letter .com at $2,000

Nothing else to say about apraisal tools/services

•••
Sometimes i take their appraisal as a basis when i have no idea how to price a domain.

•••
Sometimes i take their appraisal as a basis when i have no idea how to price a domain.

And then quintuple it!?lol

•••
Using an automated appraisal ? If you don't know how to price your domains, you must have put the cart before the horse.

•••
No
Reason: They value my 3 letter .com at $2,000

Nothing else to say about apraisal tools/services

And they value some crappy gTLDs at +$10K. Names that will be hard to sell for anything above $xx.

•••
And they value some crappy gTLDs at +$10K. Names that will be hard to sell for anything above $xx.

Exactly!!!!right?!!?! I thought I was there only one!

•••
Arguably, the only meaningful valuation can be conducted when you have a potential buyer.
Then, after trying to find as much as you can about them, you "evaluate" what they are prepared to pay you... and quote accordingly.

That's why I'm switching to "Make Offer" model.

•••
Using an automated appraisal ? If you don't know how to price your domains, you must have put the cart before the horse.

I haven't used it yet so never used it. contemplating on it because I'm no expert in pricing domains. it's not difficult to slap a $5000 price tag on every domain I have and call it a day but that might scare people away or leave room on the table.

Thee other problem with slapping a sticker price on something is to have proof why it is priced that price. And that proof comes in the "usual suspects".

Backlinks
Quality sound test.
Shortness
Niche
How many drops?
Brand new reg?
last purchase price
is it brandbucket accepted?
and the list goes on and on.

and even after having all these the potential buyer will still want to "ussss" you down in price.

here's the typical sticker prices I've seen when I do a whois.

$295
$395
$495
$595
$799
$899
$1250
$2500
$3500
$5000
$10,000

It's not hard to pick and choose some generic price on your domain. but because SEDO has been in the business I simply wanted to know if perhaps their system was LEGIT as in does it really take all the guess work from pricing your domains? or is it crap?

Yes I understand that it's a skill learned over time to find the "sweet spot" for a domain price to get it sold. All you have to do is ask yourself. What would I pay for this domain? Which usually ends up with a fight between who you are as a BUYER and who you are as a SELLER.

because obvious. The seller in you wants TOP DOLLAR. and the BUYER in you kind knows what will get your domain sold it's just the SELLER in you has a stronger intiative.

i personally think that SEDO's price suggestions leaves HUGE money on the table on the part of the seller and I'm sure no one wants to feel they "missed out" so I think I'll stick to Make Offer.

•••
Arguably, the only meaningful valuation can be conducted when you have a potential buyer.
Then, after trying to find as much as you can about them, you "evaluate" what they are prepared to pay you... and quote accordingly.

That's why I'm switching to "Make Offer" model.

You'll get offers ok. 999 low-ball offers to 1 fair offer. I know. I've been down that route. Increasing your minimum offer reduces the low-balls. But you will still get low-balled on those domains which are worth more than your minimum offer.

For me. The best path here is to take your time to consider what each of your domains is worth, and whether you are prepared to wait a long time or not for a sale. Price it accordingly as Buy Now, and point it to a Bodis Landing Page using Escrow.com, and sit and wait. No low-ballers, and 100% buyer when they click on Buy Now. Of course you run the risk of under/over pricing your domain in the market. The big disadvantage of Buy Now Pricing. Of course, if you don't mind the 20% commission, I'd put it on Afternic's Premium Network. But pointing your domain to Bodis is a nice way to sidestep that 20%. Most Buyers will visit the domain with their Browser to see where it ends up.

•••
You'll get offers ok. 999 low-ball offers to 1 fair offer. I know. I've been down that route. Increasing your minimum offer reduces the low-balls. But you will still get low-balled on those domains which are worth more than your minimum offer.

For me. The best path here is to take your time to consider what each of your domains is worth, and whether you are prepared to wait a long time or not for a sale. Price it accordingly as Buy Now, and point it to a Bodis Landing Page using Escrow.com, and sit and wait. No low-ballers, and 100% buyer when they click on Buy Now. Of course you run the risk of under/over pricing your domain in the market. The big disadvantage of Buy Now Pricing. Of course, if you don't mind the 20% commission, I'd put it on Afternic's Premium Network. But pointing your domain to Bodis is a nice way to sidestep that 20%. Most Buyers will visit the domain with their Browser to see where it ends up.

This is AWESOME Technique! I should have known this! but at least now I know. Thanks Stub! saving this to Word since I've lost plenty of GEM advice since going back to past "liked" posts is very limited.

•••
I haven't used it yet so never used it. contemplating on it because I'm no expert in pricing domains. it's not difficult to slap a $5000 price tag on every domain I have and call it a day but that might scare people away or leave room on the table.
It depends on the domain. Some may be worth 5K, some not. You should be able to appraise your own domains. If you have no idea of 'fair' value, then you are putting the cart before the horse. And how do you know you are buying aftermarket-worthy domains ?
The sweet spot is often low around $,$$$ but again that depends on the domain.

If you don't want to decide, just set your names to make offer, no BIN. Then take it from there.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back