IT.COM

poll Would you use a broker service that revive your old offers?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Would you use a service that follow up on your old offers or leads?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • No

votes
    65.0%
  • Yes

votes
    30.0%
  • Probably

vote
    5.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

Most of us have had offers coming from end-users or even from other domainers that ended nowhere for a variety of reasons.

How would you like a service that follow up on those old offers or leads for you at no upfront cost?

Let's say the service charges only 15% if the sale is made.

The rationale for the service is that sometimes you have attempted to contact the potential buyers and they are unresponsive or you could not agree on a price and they lost interest.

In addition, you are a little embarrassed to keep contacting them after no response. A contact by a third party would be the solution to try again and possibly score a sale.

Would you use such service? Please, vote and feel free to comment.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.

Why would I give up 15% when I can easily follow up with them myself? If I'm willing and mature enough to contact and negotiate with them myself the first time, I see no reason I can't be willing and mature enough to follow up if I feel it would help.
Essentially, I did all the work in finding them...but you want 15% to follow up after I laid out the ground work. No thanks.

•••
Agree with @todaygold. I'd follow up my old leads again and save the 15% cost. I'd be ok employing a broker after I'd given it one more try. But I doubt I'd give them any leads to start with.

•••
@infosec3 I agree with my colleagues above. Now if you bring in a service where you could contact the potential user by phone (US or UK) then I will happily pay the 15%. Because I am NOT in the US/UK I mostly email and Facebook these people, I sometimes send up to 200 messages per GEO domain and its ineffective as people dont open mail or read Facebook it seems.

•••
Would you use a broker service that revive your old offers?

i probably would... here's why:

1. i am lazy sometimes... well, always. to be honest
2. my English sucks.
3. i'm too arrogant to contact buyers whose offers i turned down before.

i would even give it a try with a real lead:

- contacted by a broker (i know who the buyer is, they are US based)
- max offer 15K
- my "last price" i quoted - $30K
- they lost interest
- was offered $5K when I followed up after 6 months or so
- i never contacted back since then... it was mid 2015

give me 10% promo rate and they are yours :)

min selling price $15K, including brokerage commission 1,5K
plus i would pay 15% on anything over that = ( sold - 15K ) x 15%

pm me if interested

•••
Most of us have had offers coming from end-users or even from other domainers that ended nowhere for a variety of reasons.

How would you like a service that follow up on those old offers or leads for you at no upfront cost?

The rationale for the service is that sometimes you have attempted to contact the potential buyers and they are unresponsive or you could not agree on a price and they lost interest.

In addition, you are a little embarrassed to keep contacting them after no response. A contact by a third party would be the solution to try again and possibly score a sale.

Would you use such service? Please, vote and feel free to comment.

I have contacted a few brokers in the past for my names and they all tell me these are decent names in the 4 -5 figure region but they won't broker these because they are looking to broker names in the 6 figure region or at least high end 5 figures.

I have been successful selling some of these but you can only do so much part time.

I would be gladly willing to pay someone a good commission who would broker names in the 4 - 5 figure region .

So what i'm trying to say is even though what you are offering might be a good service for some folks and not for others (depending on the individual whether or not they are comfortable following up ), there is a much more need for a service that brokers names in the 4 -5 figure region.

•••
Hi Guys,

Thanks to all for your clear and honest responses. I really appreciate your time and comments. The idea came as a result of some requests from a few domainers, some of whom have already submitted names.

Have in mind that the main concept is to revive old or dead offers or negotiations for which you have lost hope, since the potential buyer is not responding to you, so the logic behind it is that you would prefer to sell the name, even if you had to sacrifice a little bit of your earnings.

Let's say the end-user offered $1200, but never again responded to your emails. Using this service, this is how things will look:

1. The broker contacts the end-user by email, phone or both.
  2. If they respond and the name sells for $1100, you pay a 15% commission.
  3. After commission, you are left with $935 on a name for which you had lost hope.
  4. If it doesn't sell, at least we all tried again and you pay nothing.

Thanks again...

Last edited:
•••
That is actually a great idea

•••
Hi Guys,

Thanks to all for your clear and honest responses. I really appreciate your time and comments. The idea came as a result of some requests from a few domainers, some of whom have already submitted names.

Have in mind that the main concept is to revive old or dead offers or negotiations for which you have lost hope, since the potential buyer is not responding to you, so the logic behind it is that you would prefer to sell the name, even if you had to sacrifice a little bit of your earnings.

Let's say the end-user offered $1200, but never again responded to your emails. Using this service, this is how things will look:

3. After commission, you are left with $935 on a name for which you had lost hope.

Thanks again...

Perhaps I'm missing something, but a throwaway email account or blocking my phone number is easy enough and isn't worth 15% percent in my opinion. What you are doing, acting as a 'third party' I can easily do myself with another email address or calling from a different or blocked number.
I really don't understand what I'm giving up 15% for...for you to send a 2 minute email I could do myself or to make a phone call I can do myself?
Sorry, but to me it sounds ridiculous that I did all the work finding them, laid out the groundwork and did all the negotiation work and you want 15% to simply call them using the number I give you.

•••

Thanks again...

let's say the potential buyer offered $1,200, but never again responded to your emails.

so how does that work, when a potential buyer makes an offer of $1,200 and when i reply, he never again responds to my emails?

he doesn't agree if i accept his offer of $1,200?

i think you forgot to add "after making a counter offer", the potential buyer never responds.

still, i pretty much agree with others, that if one wants to chase old inquires, they can do that themselves.

cuz, if you have no shame or guilt about contacting people who never responded back.... then why should they?

then too is this about incoming offers that never responded back, or outbound solicitations that received an offer, but never followed thru?

just a few thoughts off the top -

imo....

•••
he doesn't agree if i accept his offer of $1,200?

i think you forgot to add "after making a counter offer", the potential buyer never responds.

End-users backing down, at any stage of the negotiation is extremely common, as I am sure you know after your many years in domaining.

After having conducted hundreds of domain transactions and sales, we have accumulated substantial knowledge on many things that trigger transactions stagnation and what to say or do to attract the end-users attention.

In some case, it is impossible to get them to respond. In that situation, the seller has lost nothing, since we are not charging for the contact, but just for a successful sale.

Sometimes there may have been some disagreements between seller and buyer and it could be beneficial for a third party to intervene.

Based on the response, it is clear that many do not see it as something that would work for them, which is fine. There are some others we are already working with and we will continue to offer the service.

Last edited:
•••
Sometimes there may have been some disagreements between seller and buyer and it could be beneficial for a third party to intervene.

You seem to forget that these transactions are 'virtual' for the most part. It's pretty simple to 'pretend' to be a third party by using a disposable email address or calling from a different/blocked number...no real reason to give up 15% for that 'service'.

•••
Back