IT.COM

WLS under a new name and plan

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
This was posted on another forum so I thought I would bring it over. Seems like a better alternative to WLS but I still don't like the idea of Verisign having control over the drop game.

http://www.arrington.us/?p=119

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sublime.Name said:
This was posted on another forum so I thought I would bring it over. Seems like a better alternative to WLS but I still don't like the idea of Verisign having control over the drop game.

Won't fly because registrars are incorporating there own auctions.

•••
A major difference is that verisign gets most of the money instead of the last
registrant, if I read it right.

I wonder what does that tell many people about verisign. Or should I wonder?

•••
Actually Verisign will be getting 10% and the registrars the remainder. On this plan I guess the original owner is cut-off unless the registrar themselves plan to donate to their charity.

The way I read this ExpireGuy is it's going to happen period. The only choice the registrars have is to either participate or not.

•••
Sublime.Name said:
Actually Verisign will be getting 10% and the registrars the remainder. On this plan I guess the original owner is cut-off unless the registrar themselves plan to donate to their charity.

The way I read this ExpireGuy is it's going to happen period. The only choice the registrars have is to either participate or not.

Uh not so fast...registrars are changing TOS agreements to circumvent Verisign from getting any cut. You can't auction what the registrar isn't allowing to expire.

•••
Well I can see where you're coming from there but then we run into the issue of registrars renewing domains for their own benefit. ICANN really needs to get on the ball and make a decision as to whats going to happen with drops from here on out.

•••
Sublime.Name said:
Well I can see where you're coming from there but then we run into the issue of registrars renewing domains for their own benefit. ICANN really needs to get on the ball and make a decision as to whats going to happen with drops from here on out.

Precisely Sublime. Unfortunately ICANN has as much bite, as a lock jawed Poodle. IMO they are the reason this type of onslaught by money grubbing registrars/registry is even taking place. Totally going against the mandate which they were made to enforce!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back