NameSilo

question Winning Expiring Domain Name Auctions with GoDaddy

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
I just paid $5 Go Daddy Auctions Expired Domain Purchase plus the renewal fee for the domain name, my first time using godaddy auctions or expired name purchase. I thought it would be transferred to me instantly, but now it appears that the registrant has until Nov.8 to renew it, cause it says scheduled transfer date is Nov.8

So now I guess I have to wait 4 days to see if it gets renewed, if it does I get my money back. I Assume
Anyone have any experience with this?
Have you reached this point, then had someone renew or does this rarely happen?

It appears to be off the action platform so I assume noone can outbid me.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
This is standard and normal. The same would have happend as well if you bid at the $12 price as well. Sometimes they will send it to your account the day before. if it is renewed they will refund you so now you wait....

•••
Yes, it's happened to me several times, both with $5 and $500 names. It's a bummer to get the refund email when they renew. It happens quite a bit from my experience and observation.

I'm sure it's been discussed here before somewhere. But it's really annoying that GD makes you pay when there's a chance the domain will get renewed. Some domain owners deliberately let it expire and go to auction just to get a feel for the value of the domain. If they monitor the auction and see it goes for a decent amount, it's a no-brainer to pay the redemption fee and keep the name. Can't blame them since allow GD allows it.

•••
Thanks both of you, it is a way to test the market but doesnt the cost of renewal go up if it expires past a certain date? Why not put it to auction with a certain reserve to see if there is action. Is a one word .me should be worth $20 renewal fee why wait 45 days

•••
It seems GD's expiring domain section often draws MANY more eyes than that of a reserve auction.

•••
Yes, it's happened to me several times, both with $5 and $500 names. It's a bummer to get the refund email when they renew. It happens quite a bit from my experience and observation.

I'm sure it's been discussed here before somewhere. But it's really annoying that GD makes you pay when there's a chance the domain will get renewed. Some domain owners deliberately let it expire and go to auction just to get a feel for the value of the domain. If they monitor the auction and see it goes for a decent amount, it's a no-brainer to pay the redemption fee and keep the name. Can't blame them since allow GD allows it.

Exactly I know some people now that every name they have that is not associated with a developed website, expire, get that real life appraisal (which is open to debate and I will explain why) and then transfer not pay the redemption fee of $80 you transfer to a place like Name.com for $8.25, you have up til day 45 and Paul Nicks has said they will not change that policy they want to do all they can for the current registrant.

Now Adam Dicker had some 4l.com that expired and Adam was not playing the appraisal game he was just out of town and not paying attention, when he renewed he then put a few up for 7 day public auction and names that were at $1,200 with 4 days to go could not even get $500. I have always believed some people just prefer the expired they will put money in Go Daddy's pocket but they will not into another domain investor's pocket.

I know some will say it should not matter and I agree, but I have tested this or worked with others and tested where never once did the 7 day public auction come anywhere close to the high expired bid.

•••
It's been discussed many times. I like the argument posed by another domainer as to why we don't buy from others, but help out the registrars.

Put in laymen terms,

If you were McD's, BK ordered $200m patties by accident and offered them to you for pennies... would you take them?

Nope.

Why? It'll save you money.

But, it'll cost them more.

Dog eat dog.

I do buy from domainers, but not ones who lost their marbles stating domainers should buy from domainers when they sell LLL.net's for high $$$$.

•••

Yeah, there is a thread, but the mods moved it to some obscure corner of this forum.

My last post here.

Bye, everyone.

•••
Won't mention the exact name I picked up as it's pending, but it was appraised for $$$-$$$$ 7 years ago on NP. It then went on to sell for nearly $$$$. Three years later, I got it for low $$$ expiring.

That tells you a lot about a domainer's mindset IMO.

•••
I might see a name that is nice at auction by an owner, and I skip it and wait for expiration as well. Too much room for human greed and interference involved adding another party.

As for expiring auctions at GD, yes the dreaded "GoDaddy refund" email is always a possibility. After you buy a name you will have to wait 6 to 7 days before it is in your account.

The worst when you have 1 day left to wait and you get the message.

It requires patience and planning; almost like a 'pipeline' product management mindset.

I find a lot of times these names have already been spammed to potential buyer by dunces that are asking low $xxx for names. If I buy at GD auctions, it's only because I really like the name.

•••
Won't mention the exact name I picked up as it's pending, but it was appraised for $$$-$$$$ 7 years ago on NP. It then went on to sell for nearly $$$$. Three years later, I got it for low $$$ expiring.

That tells you a lot about a domainer's mindset IMO.

Sometimes it just doesn't make any sense.

I won an expiring auction for BrightFinance.com for $254 back in July. Owner transferred it out. I liked the name for a project I was considering and was willing to pay more than that, so I emailed the owner. I received a reply that they "may consider" selling if there's a $38,000 offer.

I proceeded to tell the owner know that I was the winning bidder at $254, and that $38k valuation was probably not reasonable. I would have come up to about $2k, but the owner wouldn't budge.

•••
Sometimes it just doesn't make any sense.

I won an expiring auction for BrightFinance.com for $254 back in July. Owner transferred it out. I liked the name for a project I was considering and was willing to pay more than that, so I emailed the owner. I received a reply that they "may consider" selling if there's a $38,000 offer.

I proceeded to tell the owner know that I was the winning bidder at $254, and that $38k valuation was probably not reasonable. I would have come up to about $2k, but the owner wouldn't budge.

Reasonable has nothing to do with any valuation when it comes to a brand name; or any domain.
They could have asked for $200k.

People let these names expire so that the spammers do the work for them. Every spamming 'domain' company that will eMail 'potential clients' based off of 'similar' names will eMail companies that have to do with "Bright" OR "Finance"; letting them know that the domain they want is becoming available. The companies will be aware of the domain, and when it's back in the owners hands they may or may not make contact.

$30k may be nothing to them to own their exact match domain; but you don't know any of that so you place a price tag on it and move forward.

•••
•••
Yes, it has happened with me several times where the original registrant renewed the domains. In fact, once I even lost a small fraction of money due to a change in the conversion rate of USD to my local currency on the day they refunded me. After that experience, I always make sure that I pay in my local currency when I buy any expired domains at the auction.

Why not put it to auction with a certain reserve to see if there is action. Is a one word .me should be worth $20 renewal fee why wait 45 days

When somebody puts a reserve price, people think that if the seller is paying to put a reserve price means he/she is expecting a very high price. This sometimes turns off the initial bidders who usually start the bidding and give the required exposure to the domains, whereas at expired auctions, the bids always start at $10 - $12 without any reserve which makes everyone consider bidding on them and gives it more exposure.

Once I had seen a domain listed at public auction starting at $10 with a reserve price which ended without any bids. But when the same domain expired after few months, it sold for $X,XXX.

As equity78 has already mentioned, usually people who use it to test the market, transfer out the domains to other registrars before the 45 days are up. This way, they get an idea of their domain value in the market without facing any risk or loss.

•••
•••
I won the auction and i got a congratulations letter at 6:30am my time, one day before scheduled transfer date. i guess i got lucky for 5$ plus renewal

•••
Yeah, there is a thread, but the mods moved it to some obscure corner of this forum.

My last post here.

Bye, everyone.

This is the most shocking news in this thread. She is one of the most highly regarded members here. I cannot think how on earth her situation got to such an untenable position that she needed to quite NP. I honestly hope she will reconsider her decision. NP and all of it's members here will be worse off without her contributions here. Bye MsDomainer, I honestly hope you return.

•••
This is a cut throat business. Most successful people sometime or another bent rules or ethics to get were they are today.

•••

My last post here.

Bye, everyone.
??????????????????????

Bye, Ms Domainer!

This is the most shocking news in this thread. She is one of the most highly regarded members here. I cannot think how on earth her situation got to such an untenable position that she needed to quite NP. I honestly hope she will reconsider her decision. NP and all of it's members here will be worse off without her contributions here. Bye MsDomainer, I honestly hope you return.

This would be a najor loss to this forum.

Will miss you Jen. A true NP'r.

Peace,
Cy

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back