IT.COM

information Will Web3 domain name adoption every truly take off on a grand scale?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

equity78

Top Member
TheDomains Staff
TLDInvestors.com
Impact

So over the weekend someone was asking me when Web3 domain names were going to take off? While being far from an expert on every little nook and cranny with regards to Web3 domains, my take was when the confusion ends.Then I read this article this morning on CoinTelegraph "Web3 usernames may see greater adoption due to recent advancements." Now the author addressed some of the problems with … [Read more...]

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
What you said/queried in your article is the key:

"The question is does the general public outside the crypto and domain name space really care?"

The answer is a resounding 'NO'. For a select few, it will be only way they might operate, but for the majority of the users on the planet, the old standards (.com/.org/.co.uk, etc.) will continue to rein.

•••
This really isnt a great place to ask. If web3 domains are ever going to take off, it will likely be via mass adoption by people under 50. Not too many of those around these parts.

Last edited:
•••
This really isnt a great place to ask. If web3 domains are ever going to take off, it will likely be via mass adoption by people under 50. Not too many of those around these parts.
I think you'll find there are plenty.

•••
Web3 domain names, based on Web2, are counter-intuitive. Unless you're buying and building on Handshake, Unstoppable or ENS... then what were people thinking?? I can understand a few ICANN-based being used as a gateway, eg providing an early entrance to Web3 with your Web3example.com --> Web3actual/ .crypto .eth

In terms of real Web3 domain names as aforementioned, we've got a couple responses:

"not too many in these parts"
"The answer is a resounding 'NO'. For a select few"

There is a LOT of development being done with these, as well as raw domain investment is opportune at its earliest stages, it's not something I personally have ignored just because mass appeal hasn't been realized yet.

Isn't this when we should take a hard look at investment opportunities, BEFORE it gets big?

•••
There is a LOT of development being done with these...
There was a lot of development being done with NFTs. You or anyone you know ever have/use/need one?

•••
There was a lot of development being done with NFTs. You or anyone you know ever have/use/need one?
I have a few solely for the artwork. I enjoy art in many capacities and an opportunity to have a stake in a piece. There are hundreds of thousands of folks who have/use/need one.

•••
There are hundreds of thousands of folks who have/use/need one.
I'd imagine much of the value of your NFT portfolio has tanked, since acquiring. Which, I'd say, is because there is literally ZERO "need" for them. In my opinion, they are a fad - like Beanie Babies. Hundreds of thousands is basically nothing out of the 5 billion people who use the internet daily.

So over the weekend someone was asking me when Web3 domain names were going to take off?...
I think we're a LONG way from Web3 taking off, regardless of the development that has already been put in.

As domainers, I think we need to worry about bringing awareness to gTLDs, first.

•••
I'd imagine much of the value of your NFT portfolio has tanked, since acquiring. Which, I'd say, is because there is literally ZERO "need" for them. In my opinion, they are a fad - like Beanie Babies. Hundreds of thousands is basically nothing out of the 5 billion people who use the internet daily.

I think we're a LONG way from Web3 taking off, regardless of the development that has already been put in.

As domainers, I think we need to worry about bringing awareness to gTLDs, first.
Well that's cool, I still enjoy the art which I why I collected it. I get offers on some of the pieces, some have let go others I don't.

For things being a long way off.. so what?

•••
•••
@Nick you brought it to NFTs which I think I understand why- sometimes there is a relationship, however if you're connecting the dots and then stating things like ZERO need it's slightly confusing because like... is this a personal opinion or have you actually ever looked into Web3 domains?

Like many things before usually by the time the general populace realizes opportune it's at retail. Loses investment-grade buying. That's my only point.

If you don't jive with something that's fine but just state it. There is a massive amount of build going on regardless of whether or not you like it.

•••
@Nick you brought it to NFTs which I think I understand why- sometimes there is a relationship, however if you're connecting the dots and then stating things like ZERO need it's slightly confusing because like... is this a personal opinion or have you actually ever looked into Web3 domains?

Isn't the point of this thread to solicit personal opinions? It's titled "Will Web3 domain name adoption every truly take off on a grand scale?". It's impossible to factually answer that question.

If you don't jive with something that's fine but just state it. There is a massive amount of build going on regardless of whether or not you like it.

I have given my opinion. Again, my answer to the question being "Will Web3 domain name adoption every truly take off on a grand scale?", is "I think we're a LONG way from Web3 taking off, regardless of the development that has already been put in." Furthermore, the reason I likened it to NFTs, is because the scenario is similar, to me. They are both something with a lot of development but have little/no utility that only a fraction of a percentage of people know & care about.

•••
I remember when only a "fraction" of people understood computers and domains and no one else knew or cared. Those geeks, silly folks.

Anyboo, success to what you do.

•••
Hots.. you're too good to be arguing with a bunch of old fogies over things they don't understand

Last edited:
•••
Hots.. you're too good to be arguing with a bunch of old fogies over things they don't understand
I guess you're part of that "inspirational" crowd?

•••
no, I dont think so, I just know a narrow minded argument when I see it.

Last edited:
•••
Grego has been there from the beginning, worrying about bringing gTLD awareness. The same things you're saying now about Web3, are the same arguments we had 8 years ago.. hand-wringing about these domains that span the dot and they will never take off.

We tried to show there were excellent use cases and there was build being done. Didn't matter to most, because "opinion" was cemented as "fact" to a larger portion of the domaining crowd.

New gTLD usage is undeniable now. And it doesn't have to be on a grand scale. Those that were serious about early investment in them never put out artificially inflated predictions on where they were headed, in fact where we are today is exactly what I expected.

•••
Thanks for the article, @equity78 – I agree 100% with your take on it:
" I think we need to see a lot of things come together and have universal standards before adoption takes off how those truly behind Web3 want."

To make decentralized domain names work, there would need to be the standardization of centralized domain names! The system needs to work for the most non-technical users, easily and without needing to jump through various hoops.

-Bob

•••
Those that were serious about early investment in them never put out artificially inflated predictions on where they were headed
Sure they did.

Not many people are using them either. Hardly any sales.

Last edited:
•••
We tried to show there were excellent use cases and there was build being done.
How many did you build on, just wondering 😃

•••
Is hns Like .c is web3 domains U talking about?

•••
Well guys , I hope they work in the future. If they dont at least I tried. I have registered the following TLDs on the Ethereum Blockchain and have now started marketing them on Twitter and selling them at Crosschains.com . I have received offers from 1 eth/each to buy up one or two Tlds but refused as I personally see a future in them.
.CBDC .AGI .ASI .TEA .SEE .ANI .STARK .UMU .TWIN .PRC .AIOT .IOV .GEN .SATS

•••
While being far from an expert on every little nook and cranny
lol

Hi Ray

that made me chuckle,
"specially" if i think of all the personas` with expertise.

digging all down in the nooks and crannies trying to provide some analytics in the world of speculation.

:)

imo...

•••
Is hns Like .c is web3 domains U talking about?
Yes I don't think the article means Web3 as in ICANN-based keywords, but rather domains based on blockchain protocols.

•••
I thought people learned their lesson with the .info fluff and burst, but nah

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back