IT.COM

.co Will LLL .CO be popular?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

tech0925

Account Closed
Impact
I was wondering if snatching up as many LLL.co's as possible, when available, will be a good investment? I wasn't sure if they will have high returns like the .com's. Any thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Well, I'm not sure if I agree with .co surpassing .com... I never said i thought it would... that's not my argument. I know other people have expressed that they think it will...some of those are the big doggs/very successful domainers if you read their blogs.

Please point me to the blogs of the "big doggs/very successful domainers" who think .co will surpass .com.

•••
Please point me to the blogs of the "big doggs/very successful domainers" who think .co will surpass .com.

Adventures in Domain Investing | Domaining & Domain Investing Blog

---------- Post added at 07:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 PM ----------

If name .com is taken I'd look for a weaker .com.

Our world is complex enough. We don't need another complex domain.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. -Albert Einstein-

•••
English is not the only language in the world you know.

Not by a long way, forget .co and take along hard look at IDN that is the future now. :wave:

•••

Thanks for linking to a blog but it doesn't answer the question.

-Where does it say that he thinks .co will overtake .com?
-How is the commentator a "big dogg/very successful domainer"?

Two or three words domain are hardly complex. It is no more complex than using an unknown extension.

•••
Please. Taking Albert Einstein's quote out of context. He was too smart to think .CO would have been a success.

Sure you might have a few people use it as a hack, just like .MD is used by some doctors, but the main value of .CO is still the .COM typo aspect.

Seems like it is just the newbies who think .CO is going to be big. As for .CO passing .COM that is one of the most laughable statements I have ever read on NP.

If you want to see how successful .CO will be view the threads of .ASIA, .MOBI, .TEL, etc. I don't want to spoil the ending, but it is always the same.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
.co is effectively a branded ccTLD like .tv or .me.
Now if you look at .tv & .me, these are the branded ccTLDs that have been more successful than others like .ws for example.

For instance .me has done okay, it found a niche and even surpassed .name (which is hardly surprising) but that's it. A niche is not the same as mass adoption.
One thing to keep in mind: overall few people actually make money from domains, in particular with 'contender' extensions.

One problem with .co, the typo aspect and the likelihood of confusion alone will deter businesses from using .co. It would take a lot of time and education until the masses get truly familiar with it.

The real winners in a landrush are the registries and the registrars. Again, look at the past. I suggest that you read the official .mobi .tel .me threads etc. There is a (flawed) assumption that each extension is 'different' (of course it is), therefore the disappointments of the past will not be repeated. In fact history repeats itself, newbies get burned and lose a lot of money because of:
  1. wishful thinking
  2. lack of research
  3. thinking they are smarter
  4. discarding the experience of others
  5. lack of understanding of how the Internet works

PS: check my sig.

•••
You seem like a smart person who can read between the lines and find blogs/articles from creditable sources.

Like I said, I do not necessarily see .co surpassing .com..I just don't. Personally I'd be happy with my handful of existing .com.co names being .co ..I'm in it more for development anyway rather than the 'newbie' approach of reg'ing 200+ names and hoping to sell them for $10,000 each (lol).

I c0-sign with Wot...I see IDN's more of a 'sure thing' and I own more IDN's than any other domains.

•••
What worries me about .co is not the fact that its main attraction is as a typo for .com. It is the fact that a lot of clueless people are trying to promote it as being the best thing since the last best thing. Many of them have absolutely no understanding of how ccTLDs function in speculative terms and no idea of how speculation in a ccTLD is quite different to speculation in global TLDs like .com or .net.

Regards...jmcc

•••
You seem like a smart person who can read between the lines and find blogs/articles from creditable sources.

I'm calling you out here, in my view the claim below is completely false. There is no point telling me to find the blog posts in question [where very successful domainers are saying .co will surpass .com], because I am saying they do not exist and that you made that claim up.

I know other people have expressed that they think it will...some of those are the big doggs/very successful domainers if you read their blogs.

•••
Your rant just sounds like a bunch of hating. Seems like you’re bitter because you haven’t been able to make money like the “Big Boys.” Maybe this could be your chance to play with the big boys and I applaud the Colombians for allowing everyone a shot at this.

All i keep earring from you guys is "It's like .CM" "It's a typo of .COM" "It's for colombians".

I don't care if it's a typo of .com but it's not a typo of the abbreviation of the word "company" "commerce" as we know it... and also, .com is a typo of the word "commerce" & "commercial" in the first place, and .com is not the abbreviation of the word "company" & "commerce" as we know it since the 18th century.

All this will change over time and we are going to see .co everywhere in the next few years and people will think: ".com is old .co is the new stuff".

Last edited:
•••
I don't see bitterness in what Snoop wrote, he is just saying that people should be able to back up their claims and not put words in the mouth of others.

Animator, I'm afraid you are falling victim to the hype. Again, we have seen countless threads like this one.

The registry and the registrars LOVE people like you and welcome your business, you know the very same registrars that have been telling you to grab your .me .tel .mobi .asia .etc while you still can... and they will gladly sell you .crap when it is released :gl:
Because it's their business to sell domains. They want you to buy.
Buy buy buy !

Every domain bought is money in their coffers - they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
They are telling you what you wanna hear.
Actually they thrive on the people that are inexperienced, naïve and a tad greedy too.
When you are done with .co and your pockets are empty, another wave of newbies will pick up where you left. And the show will go on and on.

Oh and if you want my take on it I am interested in a couple Spanish keywords - names that would work for the local market. No doubt they will be subject to auctions so I'm not going to waste money that could better spent elsewhere ie in proven types of domains.

•••
Snoop has one of the best portfolios on this forum. He already is one of the "Big Boys". You are the one here who seems bitter.

Brad

Your rant just sounds like a bunch of hating. Seems like you’re bitter because you haven’t been able to make money like the “Big Boys.” Maybe this could be your chance to play with the big boys and I applaud the Colombians for allowing everyone a shot at this.

•••
I'm calling you out here, in my view the claim below is completely false. There is no point telling me to find the blog posts in question [where very successful domainers are saying .co will surpass .com], because I am saying they do not exist and that you made that claim up.
You're the one who used the word 'surpass' in the first place, not me. These domainers I speak of think .co will do well (which is what i said originally), they are excited and unanimously see the launching of .co as very important and an industry changer. Not every domainer shares this optimism (obviously)..but some do. Not sure why you are so hung up on it. You believe what you want and invest/develop/buy/sell domains you want. As far as calling me out...that's really cute.
:hearts:

As for everyone thinking that those who think highly of .co are being sucked in by the regs...no. I never invest based on what registries say. I don't own a single .tel, .asia, etc. Never bought into the hype... you must have me confused with the guy who bought 100+ "3d" domain names thinking they are going to sell them for 6-7 figures.:lol:

•••
Well, I'm not sure if I agree with .co surpassing .com... I never said i thought it would... that's not my argument. I know other people have expressed that they think it will...some of those are the big doggs/very successful domainers if you read their blogs.
Exactly what you've said here is that you know some of the "big doggs/very successful domainers" who have expressed that they think .co will surpass .com

Please show us who they are and where they've expressed this opinion.

•••
•••
Time will be the telling factor. The closest I will get to registering .co will be at their headquarters -COHQ.com :lol:

But good luck to those that think it has value,don't get sucked in by the hype too much.

•••

What does this have to do with the claim that major domainers are supposedly saying the .co will surpass .com? It is just a general article on .co and how some are using it.

People just seem to be posting random links as thought that means something. Of course there is no actual quote because their is nothing to quote which would back up Animators claims. People will click on the links and see for themselves whether it has any relation to what you are arguing, so it is pointless just posting up anything as a rebuttal.

•••
It is quite obvious that you haven't a clue. There is no reference to any major domainer in that article. It is an interview with the .co registry. It even makes some of the same points that have already been made on this thread.

Regards...jmcc

---------- Post added at 10:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:03 AM ----------

You're the one who used the word 'surpass' in the first place, not me.
I think that it was Animator's waffling about .co overtaking .com that caused the misunderstanding.

These domainers I speak of think .co will do well (which is what i said originally), they are excited and unanimously see the launching of .co as very important and an industry changer.
They are largely wrong. Perhaps they are stuck in pre .eu 2006 but this is 2010 and the market conditions have changed dramatically. There is now a focus on ccTLDs and in many country level markets, the local ccTLD is beginning to outgrow the number of .com (or gTLD) domains registered in that country. If you look at .com as a whole then you don't see these underlying patterns.

As far as calling me out...that's really cute.
In the olden days, it would be pistols at dawn as 'calling someone out' is a challenge to a duel. :) However it looks like Snoop is just asking for evidence of these big domainers publically voicing such belief in.co ccTLD.

Regards...jmcc

Last edited:
•••
Well I doubt that any 'major domainer' has made a statement to the effect that .co will surpass .com. Because it absolutely makes no sense, any experienced domainer understands the potential and the limitations. Anyway, some so-called major domainers have been wrong in the past too.

It reminds me of the .me thread where people linked to articles that were quoting unidentified 'pundits' and so-called insiders saying dithyrambic things about .me - all anonymous of course.
Now I think the best possible advice can't help because people want to believe...

•••
Though it's a nice ccTLD with a good potential, I don't really think it will be the next big thing in domaining.

•••
Only ultra premium .co domain names will have value.
Probably right, that too only if the .com is developed and has major traffic.

"Will .CO overtake .COM in the near future?"
Not in our lifetimes, this question has been asked before by all the 'pumpers' of each new tld at launch - .mobi .asia .tel .etc

.CO is very well known for the word "company" around the world.

.COM is not.
Great logic :D Sadly not everyone is having the same kool aid as you. :lol:

That doesn't answer the question. Im thinking of the future and not the past.
Where have I heard this before? Oh wait, with each new TLD launch. :)

If .ME is overtaking .NAME

Then maybe .CO will overtake .COM

Simple logic.
Yeah, extremely 'simple' logic. :lol:

Every new TLD has been pimped up in exactly the same way. Plenty of relevant threads here on NP.
Totally correct, this is like deja vu :D

I really believe that the .co (in time ofcourse) will be just as popular as the .com.
Thanks for the laugh, I thought I'd have to wait till 2012 for the new sTLD launches to see this again, guess not. :D

Again, that's not going to happen. Only the newbies believe that the latest TLD release is going to be the next big thing after .com.

... people never learn.
No they won't, specially the people who are paid to pump the said tld, so why bother?

Bottom line: .co is good for:
  • typo traffic
  • Columbian-based websites
Couldn't typo traffic be the other way because of the way people's brains are wired?

You spend $100k to advertise the .co and all the traffic goes to the .com, since people are so used to seeing that as an extension, they will probably not notice the missing letter.

Mass adoption will only take place in the (soon to be shattered) dreams of domainers.
:lol: This is so true its sad, not funny.

I can pretty much guarantee you that the people talking about .co surpassing other tlds are people with zero experience making money in this industry. They are being sold to by the registry. Easy money. They'll gladly take all their cash then in a years time there will be another bunch of saps lining up for something else.
We've seen this happen so many times its not even new anymore.

There is a (flawed) assumption that each extension is 'different' (of course it is), therefore the disappointments of the past will not be repeated. In fact history repeats itself, newbies get burned and lose a lot of money because of:
  1. wishful thinking
  2. lack of research
  3. thinking they are smarter
  4. discarding the experience of others
  5. lack of understanding of how the Internet works

PS: check my sig.
True words, great advice, not everyone will follow it though, thats the sad part.

Animator, I'm afraid you are falling victim to the hype. Again, we have seen countless threads like this one.
He's not the victim here, he's the one trying to hype it, probably in the mistaken hope that his 'investment' in .co will make him a millionaire.

And yes, we have, he hasn't been a domainer long enough to have, but he will, oh he will. :D

Well I doubt that any 'major domainer' has made a statement to the effect that .co will surpass .com.
Some of them will, specially those with a vested interest, just like others have in the past.

.co is nice, could be used as .company, just like .com, I'm not too sure which way the typo traffic will flow though, specially since .com is in the public eye for 15 years now. Maybe after 15 years more it won't matter but that time frame is way beyond my investment foresight.

•••
jmcc: Thank you for your input.

Snoop: Listen, like jmcc said, I think some of the other post about .co overtaking .com did lead to some misunderstanding. I was responding to your post when I quoted you..admittedly in a lazy way when I look back on it :guilty: These domainers I speak of never used the word 'surpass' or 'overtake'. When I was responding to your post, I was thinking about my thought and other domainers thoughts of .co doing well and being very important. I guess this is sometimes one con of trying to converse/debate online. Come to think of it.. no wonder I hate texting so much.

Wot: Thank you. No hype at all. My registry does not hype/advertise IDN's at all and yet I own more IDN's than anything else. I'm creative, think outside the box and follow my nose...not the crowd.

briman1970: I was quoting/responding to snoop. I cleared this up above. No I will not, you all don't agree anyway. Besides, at this point, I'd be doing it out of spite...so, no.
:wave:

•••
If I can join for a sec, I believe .CO is a nice ccTLD but no way it will surpass .COM.
As said, I agree that this will work for Colombia based websites talking about the country, its resources, economy, people, etc...not that sure about typo. The .COM is too engraved in people's brain and even in the typo world, the probability of a typo of .COM if not close to zero, is still very low.
Having said that, since we are talking about millions of searches for premium domains, maybe a bunch of them will get proper traffic and produce something for the owner.

Also, I also think that as some websites made their fortune on LLL or LLLL domains and the likes, with some ccTLD, say .TO, the same thing could happen with .CO...we never know! :imho:

•••
The reason why I'm not quoting you guys who are attacking my arguments is because my english is not as good as you guys. I'm FRENCH.

I have pre-ordered 15 excellent short .COs and future will tell me how well it's going.

I have the feeling that .CO will > .NET
And probably, i said PROBABLY .COM

My vision tells me that there's going to be 2 extremely popular extensions: .COM & .CO

Why ?

Here's my reason:

- .COM means "commerce" in the online world
- .CO means "commerce" in the offline world

- .COM is 1 letter long.
- .CO is 1 letter short.

- .CO is used in the UK, Japan and some other countries.
- .COM is non-existent in russia, some places in asia and some other countries.

- .COM cannot grow because it's already full, all the good and short names are taken.
- .CO will grow extremely fast (like a rocket) because it gives small and new companies a second chance and it's the real alternative to .COM

- .NET will no longer be the .COM alternative because .NET stand for nothing but "Internet" and "network" and nothing to do with "company" and "commerce".

- .COM is a gTLD and the problem with gTLDs is that registries can create anything after the dot. (.net .org .mobi .info .jobs .name .edu .pro .int .biz .gov .asia .arpa .coop .travel .tel .museum .aero .cat... .ink .tld .corp .web .blog .www .3d .world .dog .pig ..?) They can create an INFINITY amount of words after the dot.

- .CO is a ccTLD and ccTLDs are 2 letters to abbreviate a country and they are not made up words. There are 196 countries in the world and therefore, it is limited to 196 ccTLDs. No more, no less, they are "immortal".

- A ccTLD to be successful depends of two thing: "Population" (example: .CN .IN .JP .US ...) and/or "Meaningfulness" (example: .TV .ME .CO .WS ...)

- I personally prefer ccTLDs over gTLDs because they are not "made-up" words and they are 2 letters long.

Last edited:
•••
The reason why I'm not quoting you guys who are attacking my arguments is because my english is not as good as you guys. I'm FRENCH.
I'm Indian, what does that have anything to do with it?

It's an exchange of ideas, don't really care about grammar, content is all we're interested in here.

My vision tells me that there's going to be 2 extremely popular extensions: .COM & .CO

- .CO will grow extremely fast (like a rocket) because it gives small and new companies a second chance and it's the real alternative to .COM
This is purely delusional thinking.

The entire TLD will NOT 'grow fast like a rocket'.

Some of the top keywords will due to the initial hype, that's about it.

I'll grant that its a revenue opportunity in line with the greater fool theory but not due to inherent value.

- .CO is a ccTLD and ccTLDs are 2 letters to abbreviate a country and they are not made up words. There are 196 countries in the world and therefore, it is limited to 196 ccTLDs. No more, no less, they are "immortal".
I like your thinking here, specially since new gTLDs will have a three letter minimum from what I've been reading.

- A ccTLD to be successful depends of two thing: "Population" (example: .CN .IN .JP .US ...) and/or "Meaningfulness" (example: .TV .ME .CO .WS ...)
Agree with this completely btw.

I like ccTLDs, but with a purpose, or even top 25 keywords in a relatively 'obscure' ccTLDs.

It all depends on your investment strategy and more importantly ability to sell them.

Bottom line: gamble what you can afford to lose and you'll be ok, don't go overboard because of the hype which automatically surrounds everything 'new'.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back