IT.COM

.co Will LLL .CO be popular?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

tech0925

Account Closed
Impact
I was wondering if snatching up as many LLL.co's as possible, when available, will be a good investment? I wasn't sure if they will have high returns like the .com's. Any thoughts?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Another extension that will swell the coffers of the registrars and pool.com in particular as they will be auctioning landrush names I believe?

•••
No, I don't think LLL.co's are worth buying....

•••
Yes they will be

I think it will take some time for this TLD to settle and though I don't think there's any reason to think it will revolutionize the internet like the advertisement says I do think it will get decent support from the business/commerce segment. I think it will surpass .org and probably .net's but I'm not so sure about it surpassing .com. You might want to wait to pre-register since is a bit expensive now. However pre registry is selling quite well right now. I myself have pre-registered a few domains, some priority ($300 each). No risk, no return.

•••
Ok thanks guys. I'm kinda new but got some experience in domains. However, I didnt want to jump on this and waste several thousands of dollars to a bad investment without seeking advice! It sounds like I should probably wait it out for a little while.

Thanks

•••
.co will be popular among domainers. That also specially newbies as they will feel they are left out in race and these are the only available options.
.com will always rock and for the end user if .com is not available then they will go for cctlds or .net or even .org. There are plenty of options for them.
Only ultra premium .co domain names will have value.

•••
Honestly if you are looking to make $$ I think your best investment would by typo's in this extension. Some people may look at this as bad and call you a cybersquater or something but if you don't buy them someone else will.

Personally I think it's going to take a long time before LLL.co's are worth anything unless its a good LLL like CNN/IBM/LOL/WEB/XXX/SEX...etc

•••
Save the money and buy good .com

•••
Thanks guys! Fully Noted...

•••
This is one of the big question i'm asking every day:

"Will .CO overtake .COM in the near future?"

As far as i know, it's shorter then .com and more meaningful then .com

•••
Sounds like one that would only make sense as a typo of the .com. Avoid unless you are very sure it is going to have worthwhile traffic.

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Actually no, .co doesn't really mean much to anyone, except maybe colombians.

•••
I think it will take some time for this TLD to settle and though I don't think there's any reason to think it will revolutionize the internet like the advertisement says I do think it will get decent support from the business/commerce segment. I think it will surpass .org and probably .net's but I'm not so sure about it surpassing .com. You might want to wait to pre-register since is a bit expensive now. However pre registry is selling quite well right now. I myself have pre-registered a few domains, some priority ($300 each). No risk, no return.

Totally agree with this, though you can pre reg for $30 so it isnt to bad.

snoop said:

Company, corporation was the first thing I thought when I saw it

•••
Company, corporation was the first thing I thought when I saw it

That isn't to say something can't be thought up. But for the average person .co means nothing aside from colombian people who know the extension and maybe as a typo. Why would people use a .co?

•••

Co | Define Co at Dictionary.com.

VS

Com | Define Com at Dictionary.com

empire4.jpg

•••
"I'm not so sure about it surpassing .com."

Totally agree with this, though you can pre reg for $30 so it isnt to bad.

This is really bad advice. I'm not sure what I can say here other than it sounds like money is about to be wasted.

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:39 PM ----------

I think you are missing the point here,

The debate isn't about whether "co" is good it is whether ".co" is good.
The debate isn't about whether "com" is meaningful, it is about whether ".com" is meaninful.

.com = the internet
.co = country code of colombia, typo of .com

A dictionary is not needed here.

If you ask someone what .co means what will they say? If you ask them what .com means what will they say? You are investing in an extension, not a word and .co means very little.

•••
I disagree, look at .TV (http://www.verisign.tv/)

.TV is very well known for the word "Television" and it is used by many video related websites like CNN.TV, USTREAM.TV 4KIDS.TV JUSTIN.TV ...ect

People see .TV as "Internet Television" and NOT the "Tuvalu Island".

.CO is very well known for the word "company" around the world.

.COM is not.

.COM means "COMMAND" in the computer language.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COM_file

Last edited:
•••
Im sure if I asked my family what they thought .co means they would give a reasonable answer such as company, they most certainly wouldn't say the country code of Colombia. Infact ill ask them when i see them today. .com is a much better investment than .co however what im saying is $30 is nice amount for what could be a nice key word domain. And well no one knows what the future can bring, its all a risk buying domains in the end anyway.

Last edited:
•••
MAY.CO since 1877

mayco_2.jpg

ELBERFELD CO. 1874

BayerHeroin.png

and more...

Building-Front.png

ACME CO.

94812145_3edd10700b.jpg

as shown in "One Froggy Evening" (dir. Charles M. Jones, 1955)

Last edited:
•••

.cc too, after all it's one letter shorter

•••
•••

As far as I know, .com has over 87 Million domains registered and .co has not. That's the answer to your question.

Regards...jmcc

•••
As far as I know, .com has over 87 Million domains registered and .co has not. That's the answer to your question.

Regards...jmcc

That doesn't answer the question. Im thinking of the future and not the past.

.COM is 25 years old, it's obvious why it's the over 87 Million domains registered.

ccTLDs on the other hand as been there not long ago.

According to the stats, ccTLDs are growing faster then .COM these days.

I know people who are giving up their long .COM domain for a short and easy to remember country code.

Exemple: ACME.CO is much better presented then ACMEBUILDING.COM

ACME.COM on the other hand is owned by some dude from the 80's who refuse to sell it to anyone.

The guy refused the Warner Bros. offer long time ago.

3949741701_b42c0ebfc6_o.png

Now there's more other TLDs then .coms

---------- Post added at 02:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:22 AM ----------

If .ME is overtaking .NAME
Then maybe .CO will overtake .COM

---------- Post added at 02:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 AM ----------

Simple logic.

Last edited:
•••
Here's a little insider tip..co WILL become extremely popular. Demand is higher then you know.

•••
Here's an insider tip.

No.

•••
To me, CC means "Creative Commons" and as nothing to do with the word "Company".
To me .cc is the TLD of Cocos Island and .co is the TLD of Columbia.
End of the story.

Sure, you can brand TLDs like .tv
Sure, ccTLDs are growing - when they have a local market.
The natural market for .co is Columbia.

.co is not a realistic alternative to .com, no more than .biz or .whatever has been released over the last few years.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back