NameSilo

question Will domain extensions be a thing of the past in 20 years?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

wintersnow

Established Member
Impact
i wonder, will the need for domain extensions like .com and .net be a thing of the past, sooner rather than later?

could it happen super fast?!! Like , in one week everyones goes crazy trying to sell SELL SELL SELL!!!!!!!

or might it happen slowly. a transition.

just a thought.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I seriously doubt it.

There is too much money in the existing system, and it works. There is a collective trillions of dollars a year spent in advertising by companies with their domains on it.

Unless IP addresses become a thing of the past, domains will still be around. There has to be a way to direct traffic.

Brad

Last edited:
•••
thanks for your input.

My grandparents used to point to all the thousands of new houses and say " that used to be all green fields just 30 years ago" , "green fields as far as the eyes could see"

And yes, those houses are still there, so maybe all these domains will still be here in 20-30 years time.

i am quite new to all this, I wonder if everyone is fully satisfied with the system in place?

is it fair? who profits? where does all the money go? Does the money taken go to things that support everyone's future or just a select group?

just thoughts, no need to answer I am sure you are busy.

all the best,

•••
Thats a good question, and have thought about this direction again recently. im noticing if typing into certain browsers, or newer version of a browser, I didn't take note,.. a search term into the URL bar, the browser begins to figure your term out, with the dropdown coming down as if in a search engine. Do you need an extension? no. searches of the internet.. Domains imo, offer a piece of static individual peace of real property on the internet scape. Is that going to go away? Are we talking about with no extensions, property still on the internet? or some other entire system to fully substitute, or even of a perfect substitute, the internet, or run parallel, enhance? or compete with the contemporary internet?
imo

Last edited:
•••
yes the url bar can be a search bar too they can be intertwined. so it is trying to predict what you want.
i thnk you can disable that.

i see what you are asking. Will there still be real estate on this internet or will everyone migrate to a new space.

im not sure but things can chage fast i was just reading another post where the facebook guy has his own world inside the internet. If everyone goes in there we wont need .com .net .org out here, everyone will migrate into his world and everyones buisness and life will be under one single facebook guys metaverse .com or whatever its called. : / and we will all be spied on by him and his AI. cute.

Last edited:
•••
so when you put on the glasses you will be going shopping

•••
so a .com worth 1 milion now will be assigned to the internet history books/blogs/pdfs as it will be worthless, other than for historical reference. as no one will be out here. We will all be in there driving VR ferrari's and playing football with Messi and Pele in the world cup and so forth. who the heck would want to come out here and look at an old .com. lol

•••
yep and building your own universe and living on a planet or space ship you designed yourself.

Last edited:
•••
In 20 years you will be able to buy your dot bread and dot milk.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back