IT.COM

discuss Will All 5-Letter .com's be taken before end of this year (2017)?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
With all 4L .com's being taken for about 10 years. And, the current trends of brandable 5L .com's as well as those who like Chinese Premium. With 4L .com even random junk mixed letters are taken that in my opinion are horrible combinations of letters that make no sense yet they go for over $200 to resells. Is the same thing about to happen with 5L .com's will all of them be regged by end of year? If, so will 5L .com's hit a floor price of over $100 for chips? And, over $100 for the average brandable on reseller market? Also will random junk sequences of 5L hit over $80? Will all this happen this year, why or why not?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
There are 456,976 4L.com
There are 11,881,347 5L.com

I don't really see a situation where almost 12M 5L.com are regged anytime soon.

Brad

•••
QFT @bmugford - the math doesn't lie : smile :

Random 5L are too difficult to recall easily to be useful, and yet the drop lists show some non sense that I have to look up because of lots of backlinks and they appear to have been actually used for something popular at one time. Maybe if the newGs didn't exist, it would have happened. Plus there are many ccTLDs becoming more accepted for mainstream use.

Does anyone have zone file data to know what percentage of 5L is currently taken?

•••
I did a lot of research into that not that long ago. What I found was that among the most desired patterns and letters it is extremely crowed (like 0-1% left among 1000s), but adding not so wanted letters then there was a lot left.

This I found based on generating 1000s of combinations and then bulk searching.

One concrete example I looked at right now.. among 4200 specific combinations (kinda "premium CVC xx") I found that only one single domain is/was left !!

•••
An another example of what I found.. take the "best" consonants + a e i o... put it into VCVCV. I dont remember exactly how many combinations, but maybe 4x10x4x10x4 = 6400.

Anyway, among all those.. NOTHING was available.

•••
I've started to look at 5 letter names that I consider to be usable, and are available for reg fee. I picked up onkly.com, and I think I might use that for comments about pig production today. Another one was ehhem.com, and I think I'll use that as a replacement for IdleTalk that I lost, and post political comments on it. 5Ls are still around, but they are a bit difficult to find, and you have to be a bit creative when you are thinking of uses. :)

•••
It certainly wont happening soon...not in next couple of years anyway

•••
4L are around just half a million whereas 5 letters one make up around 12 million names.

So all of them getting regged is going to take more than a few years but it certainly is getting hard to hand reg good 5L names.

You still can find some decent ones via auctions at reasonable prices though.

•••
I did a lot of research into that not that long ago. What I found was that among the most desired patterns and letters it is extremely crowed (like 0-1% left among 1000s), but adding not so wanted letters then there was a lot left.

This I found based on generating 1000s of combinations and then bulk searching.

One concrete example I looked at right now.. among 4200 specific combinations (kinda "premium CVC xx") I found that only one single domain is/was left !!
what's the domain?:xf.smile:

•••
dropping today

ibyli.com

cihco.com
tugso.com
xixty.com

•••
•••
•••
How do you think ziror sound btw. ? maybe ending "ror" with english pronunciation isnt that great.. idk

•••
How do you think ziror sound btw. ? maybe ending "ror" with english pronunciation isnt that great.. idk
I don't like it. It's heavy on the tongue and it don't pass the radio test.

•••
I don't like it either - it sounds a bit onkly. :)

However - here is a picture of the warrior ziror in the world of warcraft

107603870-main.jpg

•••
With all 4L .com's being taken for about 10 years. And, the current trends of brandable 5L .com's as well as those who like Chinese Premium. With 4L .com even random junk mixed letters are taken that in my opinion are horrible combinations of letters that make no sense yet they go for over $200 to resells. Is the same thing about to happen with 5L .com's will all of them be regged by end of year? If, so will 5L .com's hit a floor price of over $100 for chips? And, over $100 for the average brandable on reseller market? Also will random junk sequences of 5L hit over $80? Will all this happen this year, why or why not?

Late 2015, a lot of those buyout threads started happening, some old ones like - https://www.namepros.com/threads/5l-com-triple-repeating-pattern-buyout.893976/

I think most who bought, probably ended up dropping.

•••
i see the most value in 5L's that have words in them in all or in part

or have alternative spellings

Last edited:
•••
I don't think there will be a buyout, but if there is it will be by domainers who drop many at renewal time

•••
If anyone wants to mine the space for names in some kind of pattern, send me a PM

•••
Well I've just picked up gawpe.com - which is a less common spelling of gawp.com.

There are quite a few others available as well.

•••
Another example how crazy crowed 5L can be.. and yet not...

I tested this pattern CVCCV, however the CC in the middle had to be double consonant ("tt" / "pp" etc.) Also, I didnt test every letter.. like u, q and j.

so tested names like this:
polli, pimmo, tilla, lisso, massa, messi

It made 3360 combinatios. What I found: Only 2 are left !!. that is only 0,06% :xf.eek: or 99,94% taken..

I then checked for the same, except changing the last letter from a vowel to "y". (polly, pimmy, tilly, lissy etc.) I then got 840 combinations. Only 1 was left !!

I then tried to mirror/alter CVCCV to VCCVC. So, illop, ommip, allit, ossil, assam, issem etc. Now here, a bit surprisingly I found that of 3360 combinations 841 are left. O_o

•••
To answer your question:
Will all 5 letter .coms be taken before end of this year? The answer is very obvious: most surely not !

And, to expand a little:
Will they ever be? I guess not. It's way too many nonsensical 5 letters.. the cost of reg. and renew cant be justified.

What if one exclude the worst letters and patterns, and count only pronounceable/brandables, recurring patterns etc.. stuff that makes sense to end users? According to my research: it is starting to get EXTREMELY crowded.. in many (bulk-search) cases there are just some very few % left, and sometimes only a very few domains are available, or even nothing left, among many thousands of domains.

Last edited:
•••
I'm currently selling mine - dumts.com you guys think I shouldn't?

Thanks in advance!

•••
Great pronounceable 5Ls are bought out or virtually bought out.

Then there are OK pronounceables that are probably 50% taken and eventually, maybe in 20 years, will be all taken.

Majority of 5Ls however could only serve as acronyms. And there is the problem. Adding each extra letter reduces number of existing acronyms drastically. It also decreases by an order the memorability. That is why super majority of acronyms, including company names, are 1L, 2L, 3L, 4L, because humans simply strugle to remember 5 letter acronyms.

Then, there are renewals. If a random 4L costs $200, then the price of random 5L is not $200/26, as holding 1 4L will cost you $9/yr, while holding 26 5Ls will cost you $234/yr

•••
Unlikely, as prices of 4l.com are decreasing in 2017, so few will invest in random 5L.com

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back