Domain Empire

Will ABC Sue Google over ABC.xyz ? Take the poll

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Will ABC sue Google over ABC.xyz ?

• This poll is still running and the standings may change.
  • Yes

votes
    16.7%
  • No

votes
    75.0%
  • Maybe

vote
    8.3%
  • I don't know

votes
    0.0%
  • This poll is still running and the standings may change.

growthhacker

Account Suspended (Warnings)
Impact
I personally think ABC will soon slap Google with a major TM case over www.ABC.xyz

But that's me.

What do you think, is this TM infringement and cyber squatting by Google?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
No chance, but if Google turns out to be the buyer of ABC.cm, then American Broadcasting Company (ABC) might sue them over that purchase, depending on what they do with it.

Knowing Google, their defensive registrations rarely resolve to a website, so a lawsuit would be unlikely in that case, as well.

•••
ABC has to protect ABC in every TLD IMO.

To allow another USA public company to trade as ABC, no way.

But time will tell.

•••
ABC has to protect ABC in every TLD IMO.

It's not that simple. They don't own "ABC." If they did, every person that recites the alphabet would be infringing on their trademark. Fortunately, that's not the case.

•••
It is that simple IMO, the reason.

We have two public companies both in USA.

One is ABC and is known all over the world as ABC.

Now another Global USA company is saying, well we like ABC so now we will be ABC.xyz

It's pure cyber squatting IMO and as soon as ABC sues Google over it, then everyone will know another public company can't register in any tld another public companies mark.

ABC owns ABC, and the suit is just a matter of time.

•••
abc is very generic, there is no problem if google will not use abc.xyz the same as abc.com.
I can do the exact same thing in an absurd example, I can buy apple.xyz and start a business with apples (fruits a juice) without any problem with apple.com

Last edited:
•••
abc is very generic, there is no problem if google will not use abc.xyz the same as abc.com.
I can do the exact same thing in an absurd example, I can buy apple.xyz and start a business with apples (fruits a juice) without any problem with apple.com

You're not a USA public company are you?

Now if Google said we are gonna be apple.xyz, same problem, another tech company owns APPLE

Google is a defacto 'new media' company, so for another public 'media' company to be trading as ABC

HUGE PROBLEM for Google

Time will tell if I'm right, and I usually am in such things.

•••
Google is not a media company.
The only winner I see here is abc.com for a simple reason. Google is globally known and if they manage to advertise abc.xyz (which I don't think so) the first thing users will type is abc.com .

•••
Feedburner
Blogspot
Both media products
Google apps nedia products

They are new media

They're cyber squatting

•••
Google is not a media company.

Google itself does have some media products/services, but the new holding company "Alphabet" doesn't sound like it will be directly involved in media.

...Google is globally known and if they manage to advertise abc.xyz (which I don't think so) the first thing users will type is abc.com .

Which is what one would think they would've understood, especially since they have loads of data on internet-user behavior.

•••
•••
You might want to double check the definition of cybersquatting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybersquatting

Google's lawyers know more than all of us when it comes to the law. If there were any concerns, they wouldn't have used it.

I don't think so, let's see Chief Justice on an international court that decides such matters.

So as a JUDGE I say this is flagrant TM violation and if ABC bought Google into my venue, I would levy extreme punitive damages on Google.

But I would have to recuse myself since I'm biased against Google.

Common law has a long history of such matters and US TM code is clear, a registration like this is a simple flagrant TM violation and Google should have known better.
My legal name includes

The Hon. Judge Dr. Rabbi yada yada yada yada

I've got 6 cites in the US Supreme Court if anyone wants to bet on it.

And I'm not kidding.

•••
My legal name includes

The Hon. Judge Dr. Rabbi yada yada yada yada

I've got 6 cites in the US Supreme Court if anyone wants to bet on it.

And I'm not kidding.

John Patrick Ennis.

•••
Nope, they wont touch Google

•••
Not going to happen.

ABC is too generic.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back