Dynadot

question Will a Sedo Broker be able to help buy a domain?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

pathfinderbeacon

Established Member
Impact
{Sorry if this is in the wrong location}

I want to buy a domain name that's been registered since 2008. I looked at the domain on the Wayback Machine and it's been put on Sedo a few times, but half the time, it's just a blank page (not a Sedo parked page). The Whois info is private.

When visiting the website, I get this:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access this resource.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.​

Will Sedo be able to help at all or will they just try to access the Whois info and then give up?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
You can try to send a message to the owner of the domain yourself, if you like.

ICANN:

Registrars are permitted and sometimes required to mask otherwise publicly available registrant contact information in the Registration Data Directory Service (such as WHOIS or the Registration Data Access Protocol (or RDAP)). The registrar of the domain name related to the registrant you are trying to contact should provide a web form or other type of communication method for you to contact a registrant if their contact information is unavailable publicly.

Last edited:
•••
but half the time, it's just a blank page (not a Sedo parked page)
Some Sedo landers get blocked by adblockers because of how they are being targetted.
If you search the name on Sedo and it shows something in that style :
upload_2020-12-23_23-43-33.png

(Or a make an offer)
It means it's listed on Sedo and they will help you to acquire the name for sure.
Otherwise, if it doesn't display the name or ask you to hire a Sedo broker, it means the domain is not listed on Sedo and I wouldn't pay a broker myself if I know I can get the same results for free myself, using the whois/registrar contacts

•••
You can try to send a message to the owner of the domain yourself, if you like.

ICANN:

Registrars are permitted and sometimes required to mask otherwise publicly available registrant contact information in the Registration Data Directory Service (such as WHOIS or the Registration Data Access Protocol (or RDAP)). The registrar of the domain name related to the registrant you are trying to contact should provide a web form or other type of communication method for you to contact a registrant if their contact information is unavailable publicly.

The Whois info is private though. How do I look them up using RDAP?

•••
The Whois info is private though. How do I look them up using RDAP?

You don't have to look at the Whois data for this. Try to find a link on the Registrar website for the domain, something like "contact the owner of a domain". Even if you cannot see the whois details, the Registrar will act as an intermediate (or proxy) and will pass your message to the Registrant.

Perhaps the easiest way to find that link, is to go to the Whois page on the Registrar website for the domain, query the domain, and then often a message "contact the owner of this domain" is presented somewhere.

(Some domainers regularly use this technique to promote their domains, I dislike it. But that's another story).

Last edited:
•••
You don't have to look at the Whois data for this. Try to find a link on the Registrar website for the domain, something like "contact the owner of a domain". Even if you cannot see the whois details, the Registrar will act as an intermediate (or proxy) and will pass your message to the Registrant.

Perhaps the easiest way to find that link, is to go to the Whois page on the Registrar website for the domain, query the domain, and then often a message "contact the owner of this domain" is presented somewhere.

(Some domainers regularly use this technique to promote their domains, I dislike it. But that's another story).

I found it! Thank you very much. I didn't know that every registrar had this!

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back