Dynadot

question WhyLinuxIsBetter.net??? $2,550

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
love if somebody explai why $2,550 and .net?!!

Before you move this to “Expired”...

Doesnt “Linex” have TM? Someone Pl explain

9F6A6DEE-8F84-42CC-B9FB-3C82B5E2E6D1.jpeg

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It looks that there was a website with some backlinks.

https://ahrefs.com/backlink-checker

209.879 backlinks with 37% dofollow

1809 referring domains with 69% dofollow

I would say this is the reason. Although I never look at these things when biding for a domain.

Last edited:
•••
It looks that there was a website with some backlinks.

https://ahrefs.com/backlink-checker

I would say this is the reason. Although I never look at these things when biding for a domain.
How odd, I checked earlier with Ahref's and it gave me 0

Thanks - that would explain it

Last edited:
•••
Good afternoon,

Please note that I'm not an expert on TMs or indeed, nor am I a Lawyer.

Not everything is automatically considered a TM breach. In this case it is promoting Linux in a positive fashion and if the website resolves and it is filled with positive comments or endorsements then it wouldn't necessarily be seen as a breach of trademark.

Many TMs or in other words, the owners mark are based on laws that are hundreds of years old and the principles still apply today even though they will have been updated. I think from memory the first truly considered form of a trademark was pie makers making a distinctive mark on pies to show to all that it was indeed their pie and it was not to be copied. This form of TM was given by Royal degree.

It is completely possible to start a website called 'Love Subaru' in which you operate the site as a blog with pictures and articles about Subarus. As long as it could be determined that you are not harming the brand then it would be hard to oppose the website as this wouldn't adhere to the basic principle of protecting trademarks and brands etc. However, if you set up a website with the ultimate purpose of pretending to be the original TM holder then you would indeed be in need of a good TM Lawyer.

The whole area is very complex and is probably best avoided unless you are either very knowledgeable, rich or both.

I may be wrong in my description so I welcome any additional comments from people who may know better. If in doubt, it's best to avoid registering anything that may be close to a TM breach.

Regards,

Reddstagg

•••
Seems like it was a fairly big Open Source Project from the past

https://github.com/lmanul/whylinuxisbetter

Also: Project owner works @ Google, found out. And Google often involves/backs employee open source projects.

Last edited:
•••

Also: Project owner works @ Google, found out. And Google often involves/backs employee open source projects.

Nice find, sounds like some bidders knew this and saw some dollar signs thinking Google will pony up the cash to buy this I guess.

•••
More companies using TM
That's more risk!

You can use the word linux and sell apples or potatoes in your company.
That is legit.

•••
•••
Amazing backlnks profile!
wikipedia, microsoft, w3.org and many more.
1800 referring domains (!!!!) with a total of >200k links.
Last but not the least all major anchor texts are naked url.
A real real gem.
Congrats to the buyer.

•••
Maybe the domain has good traffic and good parking revenue.. I cant think about any other reason.

•••
•••
You can use the word linux and sell apples or potatoes in your company.
That is legit.

Sounds as dangerous as using the word “uber”

Check site tho, it re-directs to PDFbear (com)

Last edited:
•••
It has no backlinks, no domain authority whatsoever and is a 3 word .net to boot

Something smells fishy.....unless IBM who chucked a billion dollars at Linux back in the day want it for promotional purposes 🤯😛
Wow, strange. I was about to ask about the SEO perspective, thanks for sharing this.

•••
Wow, strange. I was about to ask about the SEO perspective, thanks for sharing this.
Please, continue reading the thread...

It has 209.879 backlinks with 37% dofollow

and 1809 referring domains with 69% dofollow

Last edited:
•••
For some reason when I did a back link search on Ahref's it showed 0 across the board.....it does have a decent back link profile

•••
Please, continue reading the thread...
Yes, I read your post too bro, its just that could not quote/reply to all of em, nice research there:

I would say this is the reason.

Agree with you, Sutruk!

•••
For some reason when I did a back link search on Ahref's it showed 0 across the board.....it does have a decent back link profile
Maybe the reason could be the good old one - "previous owner trying to get domain back which had website on it" due to several reasons, like unable to renew in this crisis situation, just guessing. This factor omits the SEO perspective too, because sometimes you are just too attached to your website (or a competitors' website ;)

•••
Not sure gray area just keep in mind Linux is open source and often free and also other companies/products with the same name. A judge would probably laugh someone out of the courtroom for saying it's TM however if your worried don't bid or own such a domain. A better question would be why is bidding so high for such a long .net domain?

•••
love if somebody explai why $2,550 and .net?!!

Before you move this to “Expired”...

Doesnt “Linex” have TM? Someone Pl explain

Show attachment 152729
Maybe the AI saw it as WhylinUXisBetter.com

I great names and word combinations being interpreted wrong on expired domains all the time.

Last edited:
•••
I was bidding on that auction. AFAIR, it sold for ~ 9000 USD, and even for that link profile, that price is way too high. 2500 USD would've been a fair price IMO.

People are bidding like crazy on domain names with a good link profile. Yesterday, I was bidding on another domain name (817 referring domains, 13 characters) on GoDaddy, it sold for ~6000 USD.

Edit:
whylinux.JPG

Last edited:
•••
for ~ 9000 USD, and even for that link profile, that price is way too high. 2500 USD would've been a fair price IMO.

Agree, overpriced $9k.
$2500/3000 is a fair price with that links

People are bidding like crazy on domain names with a good link profile. Yesterday, I was bidding on another domain name (817 referring domains, 13 characters) on GoDaddy, it sold for ~6000 USD.

I've noticed the same.
ALL good and clean (aka not spammed/abused) domains with backlinks are selling like hot cakes.
Does not matter the extension.
Does not matter the length.
Does not matter the name.
Maybe the end users have discovered that the real power of the domains are the backlinks?

•••

Turns out I was kinda right, the domain now redirects to https://pdfbear.com/whylinuxisbetter

WhyLinuxIsBetter.net was indeed a big project and had its own value, their owners saw the SEO potential, back-links, etc. and decided not to lose this valuable asset. Mystery revealed ;)

Only thing is end user isn't Google, but PDFBear.

Last edited:
•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back