IT.COM

discuss Why Zoom.com re-direct to ".us"?

NameSilo
Watch
Impact
Why does zoom.com re-direct to zoom.us?

I dont understand, own .com, re-direct to inferior “.us” Guess to make clear, only us? Zoom.com must’ve cost a fortune. Nothing against best country, but .us is garbage ext. Neustar is the worst registry!

.us run by same registry own operate “.biz” Need I say more? hope re-direct temporary it feels like they are sabotaging; when have opportunity take advantage spike demand. Showcase yourself as a Global brand.

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Posed here, good discussion, still cant figure out why.

Last edited:
•••
Perhaps they purchased the dot com after making a profit from the dot us. There may be a greater plan to do with geo targeting.

•••
I'm sure it's a matter of security above all else. They ran on zoom.us for years before purchasing the .com. Moving domains can be costly and tricky even when you do it at a smaller scale, but when you operate at Zoom's scale I imagine there are lots of security and other considerations that supersede the perceived branding superiority of .com.

•••
Why not? The .com redirects there so there's no traffic bleed. And everyone who used them before this year knows them as zoom.us moving domains seems easy but for a well established site there's alot of considerations. Idk com is still king but is it a bad thing to see .us get some recognition. I means .uk and. de are pretty popular in their respective countries why not us?

•••
Why not? The .com redirects there so there's no traffic bleed. And everyone who used them before this year knows them as zoom.us moving domains seems easy but for a well established site there's alot of considerations. Idk com is still king but is it a bad thing to see .us get some recognition. I means .uk and. de are pretty popular in their respective countries why not us?

Bad owners.

Does it matter Godaddy is now the new owner?

Forgot no private .us? (already restrictive enough?) Stupid rule.

Last edited:
•••
You forgot the twitter and facebook handles

•••
Incidentally, I own Zooms // us. It’s amazing how much type in traffic it’s been getting the last few months.

•••
Incidentally, I own Zooms // us. It’s amazing how much type in traffic it’s been getting the last few months.

Bin price $1,000,000?

•••
Possible reasons:
-just bought .com, redirecting is easier than switching
-maybe they mean, zoom us, not them.
-maybe they mean zoo mus, whatever mus may mean.
-planning to resell .com
-checking traffic coming from zoom.com typeins.
-going patriotic
-trying to liquidate their .us portfolio

•••

Agree with "how much" part.

Must be domainer traffic.

•••
•••
Perhaps they purchased the dot com after making a profit from the dot us. There may be a greater plan to do with geo targeting.

This is likely the case.

Their brand was already on .us before their explosive growth.

•••
Why does zoom.com re-direct to zoom.us?
To me it was us not as USA but as in us, we. Zoom Us is a memorable phrase.

Zoom.com must’ve cost a fortune.
I am not sure if we ever knew for sure the figure Media Options got, but there is speculation in this article that Zoom.com went for $2 million. Media Options took out their own TM on it and proposed use, to protect it I presume.

I agree it is a fantastic name, and at some point they probably will fully use their .com, but not for now. The longer they stay on .us, the more will be tendency to stay.

Now with GD handling the .us contract, not sure that we will not see an uptick in the TLD, perhaps.

Certainly one huge adopter, like Zoom, may help encourage other companies to consider .us.

Bob

•••
I have sold many .US for a lot of money. Ones like Tech, Cloud, and many others.

With that being said, I would still 100% rather use a .COM than a .US.
It seems like a major waste of such a premium domain.

Brad

•••
I just had the thought wondering if they had possibly TMed Zoom Us and not Zoom. And that might be why keep using Zoom.us for main site. There are 582 live TM involving ZOOM on TESS, and I don't pretend to have read them all, but it does not appear that is the explanation.
Bob

•••
Media Options took out their own TM on it and proposed use, to protect it I presume.

That's one take on it.

I had wondered something else in the ICA thread regarding the pending Booking.com trademark decision HERE

•••
I noticed it back last year when Covid was getting serious and I had to do a lot of meetings using it. I like that system. Amazing. I use atleast once a month

•••
•••
I have sold many .US for a lot of money. Ones like Tech, Cloud, and many others.

With that being said, I would still 100% rather use a .COM than a .US.
It seems like a major waste of such a premium domain.

Brad

Slots.us just pulled in decent money recently https://namebio.com/slots.us

.Us is always tough one for me sold some average names for decent money. But other better names no big sales.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back