IT.COM

Why would someone sell a Brandable BB listed domain for low XX?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Off late I have seen many listings in the forum who are willing to pay low $XX for a BB listed domain? I really dont get it because say BB charges a user $10 to list the domain > it lists only if it considers it brandable and salable. I am aware in real market situations getting BB prices may be a bit far fetched as they place a "end user" pricing on the same. So my question to fellow domainers is this > if you pay $10 to BB and then if a buyer on this forum asks for a price of $20~30~40 etc why would you sell it? Would you better not wait for it to be sold on BB or for better prices? Is there something that I am missing?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Ya plain and simple. People / buyers like me are the last man standing! Meaning as soon as I buy its like oh you came in too late. This trend has changed. No one invests in such domain now. These are junk domains, off load them and enter a new trend! Basically, the point I am trying to make is - when you invest in domains till a point you find another buyer or are able to dump a domain the value is ZERO. Like I tried selling lots of 50 or 100 keyword domains even on NP, but no or hardly any offers but I keep hearing that even domains with numeric letter combo etc sold for XXXX it makes me really wonder if all this is just to entice other people to enter this world and then dump the domains on them? No one has ever returned to me when I make this statement - I will help you sell your domains for X fee! Why? Because most know that in reality domains hardly sell!

•••
Ya plain and simple. People / buyers like me are the last man standing! Meaning as soon as I buy its like oh you came in too late. This trend has changed. No one invests in such domain now. These are junk domains, off load them and enter a new trend! Basically, the point I am trying to make is - when you invest in domains till a point you find another buyer or are able to dump a domain the value is ZERO. Like I tried selling lots of 50 or 100 keyword domains even on NP, but no or hardly any offers but I keep hearing that even domains with numeric letter combo etc sold for XXXX it makes me really wonder if all this is just to entice other people to enter this world and then dump the domains on them? No one has ever returned to me when I make this statement - I will help you sell your domains for X fee! Why? Because most know that in reality domains hardly sell!

It sounds like you haven't had a very pleasant experience buying BrandBucket domains from resellers. If I'm wrong, I'm sorry for assuming, and if I'm right I'm sorry to hear you've had a bad experience.

Part of what you're saying is a real issue for noobs, but it's really only half the truth. The fact is Brandables are extremely subjective, so who's really to say what makes a brandable a brandable. The fact is, if you want to be a BrandBucket seller, you can innovate and register your own domains. Results may vary but I've found an average of 25% acceptance to be common. Rather than buying 4 domains for $32, it makes sense to buy a BB accepted domain for $20. The issue is brandables are subjective if I found 4 domains I believe to be brandables, I'm happy selling "BrandBucket approved" domains to cover the costs of my other domains. A quick flip if you may. The catch, being, I have to find another way to sell my brandable besides BrandBucket. Ok, there are many of outlets (BrandDo.com, Namerific.com BrandRoot.com Sedo.com Afternic.com Flippa.com NameJet.com etc...)

BrandBucket is the original Brandable marketplace, so they rank well in important keywords and have been around long enough to build a decent clientele of buyers. They are not the only marketplace with these connections. The point is, buy a dolmain because you believe it's a good brandable that you think will sell, don't just buy a brandable domain to be a random lottery ticket solely because it's marketplace approved. If you look at BrandBucket's sales, you can see a difference in what sells. There are the obvious lottery exceptions that often occur, but for the most part, you can find some commonalities of quality.

Last edited:
•••
Off late I have seen many listings in the forum who are willing to pay low $XX for a BB listed domain? I really dont get it because say BB charges a user $10 to list the domain > it lists only if it considers it brandable and salable. I am aware in real market situations getting BB prices may be a bit far fetched as they place a "end user" pricing on the same. So my question to fellow domainers is this > if you pay $10 to BB and then if a buyer on this forum asks for a price of $20~30~40 etc why would you sell it? Would you better not wait for it to be sold on BB or for better prices? Is there something that I am missing?

Thank you @hn for starting this thread.

Seeing the feedback from you and other brandbucket sellers in this thread opened my mind to begin questioning the entire industry as a whole. Until BrandBucket answers some important unanswered questions, it is my personal opinion that BrandBucket is a pyramid scheme. I have since started a crusade for a better industry by continuing to question marketplace policies, and seller advantages that I feel will ultimately be the demise of BrandBucket if they don't start respecting our type in traffic and/or operating with better integrity.

I have detailed what I believe as the BrandBucket listing fee / appraisal scam in the links provided in my signature. Many more posts and videos are soon to come, so be sure to follow the blog for updates and a podcast coming soon.

Last edited:
•••
Made up one word brandables are not easy to sell, so if you can handreg something and get it into BB,then you can make a quick flip here for XX instead of risking never selling it or waiting forever. Once people see BB they assume it is worth something...

I think people need to develop their own keen eye for brandables and stop buying stuff because the cool guy named BB,likes it. So it must be important?

If I don't like a name, I don't care if it's accepted into brand bucket or soup bucket.. i won't buy it...You can't let someone else tell u whats brandable..

•••
Why would someone sell a BB listed domain for low XX?

The simple answer is that BB is not the end-user. Consumers are largely responsible for the final value, despite the fact that other entities have had success in driving up prices (for example CHIPs).

•••
A lot of people are trying the $20 Challenge seen on Zandibot website.

Buying a domain that would be accepted on BrandBucket and resell it on NP for $40 is a good way to execute Step 1 quickly.

•••
I plan to use BB to market my Sedo domain auctions. If domains are listed on BB do you think BB buyers will check out the domain link itself like out it in the address box and see what's on it? What are the odds they will do this?

I think BB is great exposure even if it does not sell.
My plan?

Submit a couple of domains to BB that I want big money for. So I know they will sit at BB. Not my hope or intention to sell on BB. I'll make sure I list eye catching domains.

I'm hoping they will check the domain link which I will redirect to my sedo portfolio. For max exposure. BB is good for something after all

•••
I dont know if this was the way all the time but I realised BB puts limit on the number of domains you can submit so if you submitted and got some accepted then you will need to publish all accepted then the limit is set off and it starts again.

The reason for the limit is maybe they realised that some users are just submitting names to actually get them accepted then sale on other marketplaces while advertising them as BB accepted.

So because of thus, not many users will have BB accepted but unplished names to sell for low.

•••
I dont know if this was the way all the time but I realised BB puts limit on the number of domains you can submit so if you submitted and got some accepted then you will need to publish all accepted then the limit is set off and it starts again.

The reason for the limit is maybe they realised that some users are just submitting names to actually get them accepted then sale on other marketplaces while advertising them as BB accepted.

So because of thus, not many users will have BB accepted but unplished names to sell for low.

Yup! So I'm too late to the party on this huh? Lol

•••
I plan to use BB to market my Sedo domain auctions. If domains are listed on BB do you think BB buyers will check out the domain link itself like out it in the address box and see what's on it? What are the odds they will do this?

My plan?

Submit a couple of domains to BB that I want big money for. So I know they will sit at BB. Not my hope or intention to sell on BB. I'll make sure I list eye catching domains.

I'm hoping they will check the domain link which I will redirect to my sedo portfolio. For max exposure. BB is good for something after all

BB requires exclusivity of the domain and the domain has to redirect to their website.
You can't publish on BB and have the domain point to another platform.

•••
•••
BB requires exclusivity of the domain and the domain has to redirect to their website.
You can't publish on BB and have the domain point to another platform.

Hmmm I frame?popunder?lol

•••
@Avtar629 - Ya they ask you to remove the domain from all other platforms. I think they have some software which does that and automatically sends you a link that it found the domain listed at X marketplace.

Ya basically with domaining as I have discussed this multiple times, it all comes down to the contacts you have. You may have a really bad domain but if you have the right contacts and the right marketing skills you can get hundreds or thousands from it... but if you dont have the right contacts and are poor with marketing ... even if you have a good domain + keyword domain + 1000s of monthly search + very good CPC +++ anything... when you go out to sell people say.. oh that trend has gone... these domains are worth just reg fee or low XX.

So its all about perception and hype you are able to create around a domain you market...

•••
Some people do not want to wait for long time with domain stuck in the portfolio so they sell it.

•••
I am one of the people with a few BB auctions here and there. I have a clear explanation why I do this.

I am just entering the brandables so I know I have a lot to learn. I like the brandbucket principle as a passive way of potential sales. List a few names and get a possible sale.

The dotster and netfirms .com sales was my chance to enter. My plan is to get a bunch accepted, sell off a few on NP which will cover both the cheap reg fees and the money to publish the names. I keep the ones I like best and publish these with the acquired publishing credits. This way, I have a beginners portfolio for "free", paid by flipping profits. Since reg fee was around 3 dollars and I can sell the rejects in the bargain thread, it is quite likely that this is possible for me.

The good thing is that I can then wait around 8 months to see if I get BB activity. If not, I can always sell the names on NP again.

The NP value is a nice backup for people like me just testing the waters for brandables, as I myself would have no idea how to sell brandables myself.

For me, domaining is part time and a hobby which gives me a small amount of extra funds every month. Therefore, I do not want to invest 500 dollars to wait 8 months or loger for a possible 2000 return. I play the faster game. I wont get the best price, but I am happy with that. This tactic is a way for me to sit and wait without risk and concentrate on my geo domains.

Hope this makes sense.

•••

My plan?

BB requires EXCLUSIVITY for the domains listed with them ...

•••
I am one of the people with a few BB auctions here and there. I have a clear explanation why I do this.

I am just entering the brandables so I know I have a lot to learn. I like the brandbucket principle as a passive way of potential sales. List a few names and get a possible sale.

The dotster and netfirms .com sales was my chance to enter. My plan is to get a bunch accepted, sell off a few on NP which will cover both the cheap reg fees and the money to publish the names. I keep the ones I like best and publish these with the acquired publishing credits. This way, I have a beginners portfolio for "free", paid by flipping profits. Since reg fee was around 3 dollars and I can sell the rejects in the bargain thread, it is quite likely that this is possible for me.

The good thing is that I can then wait around 8 months to see if I get BB activity. If not, I can always sell the names on NP again.

The NP value is a nice backup for people like me just testing the waters for brandables, as I myself would have no idea how to sell brandables myself.

For me, domaining is part time and a hobby which gives me a small amount of extra funds every month. Therefore, I do not want to invest 500 dollars to wait 8 months or loger for a possible 2000 return. I play the faster game. I wont get the best price, but I am happy with that. This tactic is a way for me to sit and wait without risk and concentrate on my geo domains.

Hope this makes sense.

maybe you shouldn't freely say you are dumping your "rejects" in the NP bargain thread. lol your buyers for these "rejects" might stumble on this post of yours and think twice before ever bidding on your "rejects" lol. don't ya think so?

Sounds like something people are doing on NP anyways. dumping rejects in the bargain bin. which brings up the obvious question. who is buying these reject domains? lol and do you also sell these "reject" domains on BB? lol

•••

Hope this makes sense.

I'm not entirely caught up on the reseller market for BrandBucket auctioned domains, since it's in direct violation of both marketplaces ToS, but is an accepted and common practice today. I've been weary of the few I held. Has @michaeljkrell ever bid on one of your auctions?

Why doesn't flippa allow you to sell BrandBucket published domains? Because the buyers aren't as transparent as they are on NamePros, and the rules are slightly different. For example, if a BB domains sells via BIN on BB while listed at a live bulk domain auction via flippa, the sale becomes VOID when the sold BB domains no longer becomes part of the package. I'm not sure if this has ever happened on NamePros, and if so what the outcome was. If you would like to discuss this further, please ask, I'd be happy to discuss this in greater detail by way of the debate thread.

Sounds like something people are doing on NP anyways. dumping rejects in the bargain bin. which brings up the obvious question. who is buying these reject domains?

I buy them, because unlike BB, I still find value in rejected domains. Some buy them and put them on other marketplaces. I don't like to repeat this way of thinking because marginally it will not be true for all bargain domains, but earlier this year I bought a domain from @Domainzy on the bargain thread and BrandBucket approved it for listing fee.

do you also sell these "reject" domains on BB?

Some people do. Not all.

When sellers begin losing trust in the marketplace, they begin evaluating which domains have they lowest chance of yielding a BrandBucket return, and they begin to sell off domains. They put these domains in a stew, and say, "This stew was good enough to be sold on BrandBucket's menu. There's still good meat in there, but I'm either too full and/or would rather trade my stew for your bread. Our head chef won't buy our meat because hes too busy buying fresh fish for the same price."

It's also important to know that some resellers just resell domains so they can continue building their portfolio and resell what they think has a least likely chance of selling. This is not always the case, and even so, being brandable domains are subjective, it's up to the buyer to be subjective when deciding how much they are willing to spend for the domain.

Last edited:
•••
Speaking of BrandBucket.

BucketVR.com

I wonder if they will accept it?

It's a play on bucketlist. Very brandable. Guess I'll give BB a try.

•••
Speaking of BrandBucket.

BucketVR.com

I wonder if they will accept it?

It's a play on bucketlist. Very brandable. Guess I'll give BB a try.

I don't think they will accept this. They rejected Bucket + popular io prefix for me. I'm not here to debate if it's a good domain or not, just stating Keyword + popular suffix is not all they look for.

Besides BB reseller, do you see the enduser for a bucketVR? VRBucket, sure. But, BucketVR? Maybe, I don't know. But if it was me, I wouldn't waste a $10 listing fee to list this domain exclusively with BrandBucket. This is what some people mean when they say BrandBucket does you a favor by rejecting your domain. They keep their marketplace slim by doing this, their resources allocated properly, and your listing fee's in your pocket where they belong. Until they respond to the debate between listing fee vs logo fee, this is where I stand.

•••
Does anyone ever wonder Lol if sites like BB and namejet have like a buddy buddy system that even if the domain is crap since it's a friend they take it.

•••
I think the reason is that you can wait forever to get your domain sold on BB. Sales are rare if you compare them to the actual number of listings. It's a lot easier to sell BB accepted domains on the outside to fellow domainers because they know these domains have been deemed valuable by the BB team. So while you won't get end-user prices but you're almost guaranteed to make a quick profit (albeit a much smaller one).

•••
maybe you shouldn't freely say you are dumping your "rejects" in the NP bargain thread. lol your buyers for these "rejects" might stumble on this post of yours and think twice before ever bidding on your "rejects" lol. don't ya think so?

Sounds like something people are doing on NP anyways. dumping rejects in the bargain bin. which brings up the obvious question. who is buying these reject domains? lol and do you also sell these "reject" domains on BB? lol

If I talk about rejects, I talk about Brandbucket rejects. I only register domains if I think it has some value. I am transparent about it. If I know someone bid on my BB accepted auctions and he asks about the brandables not on BB, I tell them if they were submitted and rejected or never submitted.
I think they hold some value and for the right person, they could be a good buy for little money. For BB focussed people, these will not be the right domains.

I'm not entirely caught up on the reseller market for BrandBucket auctioned domains, since it's in direct violation of both marketplaces ToS, but is an accepted and common practice today. I've been weary of the few I held. Has @michaeljkrell ever bid on one of your auctions?

I actually haven't thought of it like that yet. Michael has not bid on my domains. I only auction Accepted domains, which I think is not in violation (they are not listed yet), so that would be acceptable I think. If I indeed publish a bunch and would like to auction these, that might indeed be a different story. However, if I decide I will let them expire, wouldn't it be in Brandbucket's best interest to sell them to someone who would like to keep them listed and pay the renewal fee?

Last edited:
•••
However, if I decide I will let them expire, wouldn't it be in Brandbucket's best interest to sell them to someone who would like to keep them listed and pay the renewal fee?

Yes!!! BrandRoot is so confident in their marketplace, they even offered or still offers (not sure - I still need to know more about this) a program to renew their sellers domains when it does not sell in the first year.

Instead, @michaeljkrell uses privy data to monitor and register these brandbucket published domains for himself. See for yourself HERE Look, I've said enough, and ruffled enough feathers. Have you questioned listing fee's? All the links you need to know are in my signature.

Here is the final video, that some may need, to piece everything together about the videos posted in how the housing bubble relates to the brandbucket bubble IMO.

IMO, bulk BrandBucket approved domain packages are tranches filled with bonds sold by the banks backed by a reviewing agency which double dips in upfront fee's and generous backend commissions. Granted, as of now the head of the reviewing agency doesn't resell these domains, but to the same point, he does not participate in purchasing these domains. By reseller prices being backed by his sales, there is now greater incentive for other sellers to increase their portfolio accordingly to keep their portfolio consistent with the average sales through rate. I can go on and on about this, but the point is there is a kink and the current system that will and/or could lead to an eventual collapse if this matter is not looked into closer.

What's the difference between somebody who has $1 million in BrandBucket approved domains vs $1 million dollars in BrandBucket published domains? One paid to play, while the other hasn't.

Last edited:
•••
IMO, bulk BrandBucket approved domain packages are tranches filled with bonds sold by the banks backed by a reviewing agency which double dips in upfront fee's and generous backend commissions.

Lol, yeah I know your opinion from previous post. I respect your opinion and like that you speak out, but I don't share it.

For me, I know what it will cost me and what I can expect if I play the brandbucket game. I chose to try it. However, I know chances of a sale could be very small. Thats why I chose to enter with the profits I made flipping a few domains.

In my opinion, my sales for these names would be equal to Brandbucket at best, and it would cost me way more time. Therefore, Brandbucket provides value to me: I spend much less time on the names with a similar chance of selling them. Thats reason enough for me to try it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back