IT.COM

Why is Reseller hosting bad?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I've read reviews of big and small webhosting companies, lots are reseller hosts. Why does everyone say if a host is using reseller hosting they are a bad choice?
Everyone has to start somewhere, I myself plan on getting reseller hosting, then when im older, and have a better job ill get my own dedicated servers.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
resellers aren't all bad (i've been on one for awhile), but there are many of them out there that give them a bad name in general. they're squatters of hosting companies, if you will. :blink:

•••
Yeah well, it IS your own hosting company, you just don't own your own servers, you almost rent them.
It's a good thing to start out with reseller hosting, instead of servers right off the bat, just incase it ends up going nowhere.

•••
Sometimes resellers offer better customer service then mother company. So I believe that is under discussion

•••
You are right, being a reseller isn't bad in itself. It's just that there are many good companies who own their own equipment/lease dedicated servers, but then many kiddie hosts use reseller account (thus giving a bad name to many hosts who use reseller account).

So I guess, since the market is so competitive, some clients will choose a company who has root access to their servers 'just in-case'

•••
But at the same time lots of customers even do not know if the company reseller or not before signing up

•••
Resellers arn't a bad way to start up a hosting venture. They are seen as "bad" from the customers point of view due to there low price, There's also the fact that instead of a normal company relying on a datacenter only, a reseller relies on the person they buy it off and the datacenter (so there's a larger chance of something go wrong, or if there is any downtime it could take longer to alert the datacenter because you need to go via the reseller.

Sean

•••
Sean you are actually right. But new customers again will never realize that it is reseller unless they do additional research for that

•••
We can not generalise resellers are bad. Nothing is bad in the hosting industry if they can provide satisfactory service to their clients. And as some one said it is always better to start from the reseller if you are new in the field instead of going for a dedicated server for the first time.

•••
It is a good idea to start with a reseller, I agree. It means less of a risk funds wise and its also a good way to increase your knowledge.

Another option is to go manged with someone like WaveWeb, I have used them before and they take care of everythign technial, however its slightly more expenisve than normal dedi servers. I suppose you get what you pay for.

Sean

•••
It is a good idea to start with a reseller, I agree. It means less of a risk funds wise and its also a good way to increase your knowledge.

Sean

Yeah, i'm looking to expand my knowledge about hosting, and technical stuff about it. I applied for a host from these forums(no names) they said i'd be interviewed on a saturday, said they'd email me when they want me to come into live chat, i waited all day, no email, so i decided to get reseller hosting.

PS i wasn't even asking for money, i just wanted to learn :D

•••
I suppose that is better to start learning web hosting on the free web hosting account. Paying for the web hosting account (for reseller one) that is might be not really good and best way to go. I think that as soon as you get your first customer you will understand things better.

•••
Resellers aren't bad - and I am one myself so I certainly don't like the tagging. GoDaddy and HostGator and all other leaders depend upon resellers to promote their business and with the technical and backend requirements taken care of by them, resellers are nothing but just a frontend to sell products for leaders!

There are some cases though where resellers are not upto the mark and it is rather difficult for a noob to figure out who is who!

•••
You guys are are absolutely right, there are nothing wrong with resellers. New customers just give bad name to resellers. That's all
It's better to start a web hosting company with reseller hosting instead of having own server and don't know how to manage it. A serious company moves to dedicated server on having good knowledge and a number of potential customers.

•••
Do not consider web hosting service provider as reseller or not reseller.Does it really matter for you if you need just good uptime and polite support team?
Cheers

•••
reseller is has share Server 1 Server/Reseller 10-50 account

Cheers
John

•••
You have to make sure the company you are ordering reseller from owns their own servers, that way you know that it will not be overcrowded like a chicken factory!

•••
reseller is has share Server 1 Server/Reseller 10-50 account

Cheers
John

I think we know what a Reseller is, else we wouldn't be talking about them XD

I think the main problem is if you choose a provider that is actually a Master Reseller, you could be stuck in a situation that looks like this:

Datacenter -> 1 Server Provider -> 25 Master Resellers -> 300 Resellers -> 600 Shared

Eventually the server will have too much, if I master reseller sells one single package, this could create 50 accounts.

Sean

•••
Your subject
Why is Reseller hosting bad?
Are you talking about starting an account from a reseller or do you mean reselling yourself?
If if it's the former, then I think that getting a hosting from a reseller is often wiser than getting hosting from his upstream provider, as the chances are higher to get more customer care from a smaller company.

•••
I totally agree, many say there is no industry left for small hosts due to hosts like HostGator overselling so much and been so BIG, but I think there are people that would prefer to be with a smaller host.

Sean

•••
I totally agree, many say there is no industry left for small hosts due to hosts like HostGator overselling so much and been so BIG, but I think there are people that would prefer to be with a smaller host.

Sean

Yeah Sean, there is space for any host provided their service quality is good. In these unlimited Era also, providers with reasonable resources have a place.

•••

Sean

I believe they are able to control this somehow and so far the manage to do that

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back