IT.COM

[Why] is E-bay better for auction than Sedo/Afternic?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

sky

Established Member
Impact
I was reading the stickie descriptions in this forum, and people seem to prefer ebay. Why?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
My opinion:

Those who have good names that serious domainers will start a bidding war over, go to the domain auction sites, such as Sedo.

The "not so good" domains, that serious domainers would have no real interest in, go to ebay, where either someone who sees potential in the name or a noob pick them up.

Obviously, more people have the last type of domain I mentioned, so more domains are put for sale on ebay.

ALSO! There are names that make you go "WOW! That sold?!" on Sedo and some great names on ebay. But, for the most part, what I posted seems to be what's up.

•••
On my opinion. I think people more prefer domain name forum.
Because can searching nice domain name. More focus on domain name.

•••
My company's done some in depth studies of eBay's metrics as we're getting ready to launch our own domains-only auction venue.

Over 90% of the domain listings on eBay are under $200. The likelihood of selling a $500+ domain there is about 25-to-1.

Hopes this helps

S

•••
BinderGang said:
My opinion:

Those who have good names that serious domainers will start a bidding war over, go to the domain auction sites, such as Sedo.

The "not so good" domains, that serious domainers would have no real interest in, go to ebay, where either someone who sees potential in the name or a noob pick them up.

Obviously, more people have the last type of domain I mentioned, so more domains are put for sale on ebay.

ALSO! There are names that make you go "WOW! That sold?!" on Sedo and some great names on ebay. But, for the most part, what I posted seems to be what's up.

In addition to the excellent analysis above, I would just add that IMHO there isn't a single sales platform right now that can be described as satisfactory or better.

In a few years' time I think we'll be looking back and shaking our heads in disbelief at the primitive sales service standard that we used to accept as normal.

The reason why I am saying this is that I feel it's very important for new domainers to know they are unlikely to get rich quick simply by buying domains and putting them on Ebay, Sedo, Afternic, or any of the other platforms that exist today.

If you have time to develop, the sky is the limit. If not, please remember that there are thousands of good to great domains that are available for sale but will not sell for a long time because the willing seller is simply very unlikey to meet the willing buyer (who probably doesn't even know what Sedo and Afternic are, and would likely be put off very quickly by the quality of the first dozen or so domains they see on Ebay).

This will hopefully change soon, but there have been many false dawns in this respect so I'd rather not see people max out their credit cards on domains in the hope of selling quickly at a fair price.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back