Dynadot

Why IS dot com better than the rest?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
I read here at NamePros that dot com is the extension I should invest in, first, in most cases. Also, I have noticed that most of the time dot com domains are taken first while .net and the others are bought only when the dot com is not available.

What is it about .com domains that make them so much more prefered than other extensions, generally? Will a .com domain somehow provide a search engine advantage, compared with a .net or an .org. Or is it just that every one knows about .coms, so it is more recognized from a marketing point of view? Or is there another reason?

Thanks.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
It's all about what was first.... .com.

•••
generally if someone says check out mysite.com and then 8 hours later you get home and forget the extension they said, which is the first 1 you will try?
.com will be the first that a majority of people will check, other extensions are doing well and growing, but the majority will run to check the .com first.

•••
•••
I wouldn't say that .com is better...
it's all in the preference of the user.
.com is just better known. But with all the goodies gone...it's time
to move on.
I see more tv ads now for .ca's and .net (I live in Canada)

•••
Hi, Thanks.......

Seems to me that unless you can track down a net or org or info that is short or generic or special in some way, it is unlikely to be worth buying it, most of the time.........[I appreciate certain exceptions apply, of course!]

•••
Well that's not true, if you can get quality names with other extensions, they will be worth money too. However, they just won't be worth as much as the same name with the .com extension.

Sometimes a .net, .org, or .info is even BETTER than the .com in the way it functions. This domain could be worth more than the .com version of it. It all depends on the end user.

•••
for example...
birthname.info - birthname info as apposed to
birthname.com - hmmm . info sounds better...
and in a google search, chances are birthname info needed, will get a better
hit than birthname .com needed...IMHO :)

•••
:imho: It`s like to compare office at center of capital city with suburbs (.net .org .info) and villages (.ws .cc) ;) More traffic, more worth, more prestige... thats all

•••
ReliableHosters.com said:
but the majority will run to check the .com first.

I've never heard of anyone who would try the .net or anything else before the .com. I think it's very safe to say that 100% of people would try the .com first.

•••
Bcoz when we write

hotappz in the address bar and hit CTRL+ENTER

It becomes hotappz.com Not hotappz.info or hotappz.org.

So you get many type ins. :D

•••
The .net days? Nope...try again...
The .ws days? Nope...try again...
The .ca days? Nope...try again...
the .org days? Nope...try again
The .com days? BINGO!

•••
It comes down to the single simple fact that .com is the most widely known (and therefore most widely used) extension. Most people, especially those who are less familiar with domains, have heard of .com whereas a lot of these other extensions remain relatively unknown. When the average person thinks internet, they think .com.

•••
jmweb said:
The .net days? Nope...try again...
The .ws days? Nope...try again...
The .ca days? Nope...try again...
the .org days? Nope...try again
The .com days? BINGO!

i second this logic. we live in a dotcom world. that's not to say that other extensions are bad: they'll all do well in the search engines with good content/services and good seo. but dotcom is dotcom. it'll remain the number 1 for I guess several thousand years :)

•••
rule of first whoever or whatever comes first is more valuable.

•••
There are a lot of factors which makes .com valuable. The resale value, type in traffic, most well known and widely used extension. When the .com names are not available then people look for alternatives like .net, .org, .info... etc.

•••
RSK2000 said:
I read here at NamePros that dot com is the extension I should invest in, first, in most cases. Also, I have noticed that most of the time dot com domains are taken first while .net and the others are bought only when the dot com is not available.

What is it about .com domains that make them so much more prefered than other extensions, generally? Will a .com domain somehow provide a search engine advantage, compared with a .net or an .org. Or is it just that every one knows about .coms, so it is more recognized from a marketing point of view? Or is there another reason?

Thanks.

i think it depends where you live. In the UK, it is fairly uncommon to see a .com advertised as it is mostly .co.uk on TV and radio.

•••
It all comes down to money. The big boys are promoting .coms and so they are the domains that everyone wants. If the marketing budgets for .net domains were as big as .coms then we might see a different picture. The big boys promote .coms because that was promoted best in the early days and so promoting a different extension to .com domains is seen as more risky.

In Australia, .com.au is promoted significantly more than .com and so it is often harder to promote a .com domain than a .com.au domain. If you promote a .com domain, people will often visit the .com.au domain instead. Losing those customers means losing money. However, the .com.au domain is not as popular with the international market. Therefore, if your business is aimed at attracting the international market you go with .com but if your income is only through the national market you go with .com.au.

Using the wrong domain costs money.

Last edited:
•••
I think people tend to remember .com more readily then .net, .org.

•••
•••
re:

Just ask yourself, what was the ending of that site.... it was .com it is the most used, therefore most popular, and most remembered.

•••
yeah..alot ppl know about .coms some ppl dun even know .net .org even existed..LOL

•••
On Domain Seller websites. Eg. godaddy and Namecheap, the .com is the first and default extention.

•••
.com is the best one
whenever i want to buy a domain first i check .com domain but never i seem they were available which i selected
its hard to get .com domains

•••
There is a lot (and will be more and more) .extensions but only one most valuable - .com So thats why for user it may be a problem to rememind site.extension if it other than most popular ones .com

And i agree with VURG it is so popular because it is promoted with each advertisment of easch site placed on it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back