Domain Empire

Why .in not .jp?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Why are .in's so popular now and not .jps? I know .jps are expensive to register, but it seems to me that the Japaneese are more business oriented and have a far better economy.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
I think it's because of a WAY larger Indian population. 127 million of Japan's compared to India's over a billion. India has a very good economy too. I read somewhere that India's and China's economies would eventually overtake the American economy in the next decade or so.

I think that's the reason :gl: .

True_Snake

•••
Much Higher Internet population predicted... I think

•••
India is probably the biggest growing IT industry in the world at the moment. At present there is something like 38 million internet users in India and this is expected to grow to 100 million by 2007, according to the Internet & Online Association of India.

hope that explains :)

•••
Doing some more research I found that India has 18.481 million internet users to Japan's 57.2 million. But these statistics are from 2003 and 2002 respectively, and that is before .IN was publicly released.

Interesting subject, IMHO.

EDIT: Tip from the top and -db- posted similar things while I was typing the post up. 3rd time that's happened in 2 days :laugh: !

True_Snake

•••
Language - English is common in India. (all jokes aside regarding how fluent)

Emerging Internet growth - India's online presence is growing rapidly, and barely scratched the surface of it's potential and/or predicted future growth. Others have already commented on this above, in various different ways.

EDIT: I deleted my first post, so now you said it before I did Snake. Hehe! :p

•••
DomainSlayer said:
Why are .in's so popular now and not .jps? I know .jps are expensive to register, but it seems to me that the Japaneese are more business oriented and have a far better economy.

All the above is true, but I think the price of the registration has a lot to do it with. I can register a .co.in for $7.89, an .in for $13.99 . A .jp costs how much?? A lot more than that. I gave up on .tv's for the same reason, they are to expensive. Plus, don't forget you have to reregister them again, after a year.

It's all a gamble, but a cheaper gamble at $7.89 per .co.in for me!!!

Frank

•••

Quite Right!

•••
•••
I don't think Japanese are very interested in buying and selling domains.

You don't see many domains for sale at all on Japanese auction sites.

•••
India's the 2nd most populous country in the world and most of the people speak English. They're also very IT savvy and slowly turning into the biggest outsourced IT hub. Personally, I think IT is to India like manufacturing is to China, so imagine the potential :)

Like simpsons, I also prefer .co.in if given a choice.

•••
Simple.

India - Speaks english
Japanese - Doesn't and already users .com and other extensions..

•••
It's mostly because of the HYPE and also because of the registration PRICE, and of course, because of the language. But I think it will take a long time until Indias "internet population" will have a higher purchasing power then Japan. 200-300 million people in India lives on less then 1 usd a day. Middle class is big, yes.. and there are a lot of people with money also.

•••
The main reason .in is so popular is because it's “the new thing”. They are also much easier to register than other ccTLDs that require a presence in the country or are more expensive.

The often cited, but unsubstantiated, statistic that they have the largest English speaking population certainly plays a role. It speculators the confidence to register common English words/phrases instead of researching local languages. The sheer size of the population is also an incentive, in particular for those who don't bother to look at economic figures.

Japan, on the other hand is old news, relatively expensive, and has other restrictions. The Japanese phobia of speaking English is world famous, and they are not an up and coming country that's going to rule the world—They've already done that :)

•••
DomainSlayer said:

What about cn?

knarfmusik said:
All the above is true, but I think the price of the registration has a lot to do it with. I can register a .co.in for $7.89, an .in for $13.99 . A .jp costs how much?? A lot more than that. I gave up on .tv's for the same reason, they are to expensive. Plus, don't forget you have to reregister them again, after a year.

Frank

Agree and I think like co.uk the co.in will be more popular than the .in ;)

•••
I perfer .cn/.com.cn/.net.cn

all the way, china is better than india.
maybe .cn is too expensive

i reg a .cn only for $7.5 . :)
(just for chinese company and people)

•••
bm8 said:
I perfer .cn/.com.cn/.net.cn

all the way, china is better than india.
maybe .cn is too expensive

i reg a .cn only for $7.5 . :)
(just for chinese company and people)

And there are still alot of great .cn's available :lala:

•••
mellowmasher said:
And there are still alot of great .cn's available :lala:

yes , its a gread latent market

First impressions are strongest.

i owned several
(jim.cn require.cn fifth.cn allot.cn wecan.com.cn .etc)

•••
I would be very interested to know how many of the .in names resold for profit were purchased by end-users rather than piggy-back resellers. My inclinations suggest dump them before the merry-go round shudders to a halt...As for .jp speculative names are not so successsful if not related to established business or culture. A niche market. Both markets however still strongly relate to .com as a default.

•••
The language, the internet population and maybe habits(Japanese do not like buy and sell domains?) make the difference!

•••
.in sounds better than .jp :P . anyway, the more in the country the more of their domain names will be taken ;)

•••
.jp has restrictions. That is the main reason.

•••
Listen, this is what I can add to my earlier comments....

Undeniable: A few of my .in / .co.in's are getting pure type in traffic, in numbers equal or greater than even my very best .US names (and guy's, I've owned some great .us domains) or the majority of my .com names get. Then - add the fact that's is a brand new extension? COME ON! That's got to excite (even just a little) even the most jaded anti country code / anti-.IN/.CO.IN domainer out there. This is a fresh new landscape for a country that is massive in size, and just starting to scratch the surface of the Internet, their Internet... look at .DE - the Germans have took it to their breast like a new born baby, and .US - after a couple years to fight it's way into the public eye, despite not having instant huge success at the jump; is now undeniably a valuable and viable property to have.

Understandable: Language, language, language... every Indian person I talk to confirms this. English is implanted in the Indian mainstream.

Country code haters have eaten crow before, and it's a dish best served cold. :o

LOOK everyone...the weekend is here, let down your hair.... :kickass:

•••
1rrr1 said:
.jp has restrictions. That is the main reason.

anyone can now own a .jp extension, you just need a proxy jp address which is provided by registrars such as jp-domains.com The cost is more of a factor for a speculative punt.

•••
One would believe that the economic engine of the world can only shift to the Tigers and Dragons of Asia.

As a posturing tool of the new new new web economy, the .IN and .CN extensions will grow in stature in the next 5 years, peaking in prominence at around the 2010 mark.

MNCs who do not have visible local presence, flags if you will, in these market centrifuges by then will be seen to be old fudduds and not dynamic and versatile industry players.

Domains, as we know it, is no longer about 'curious type-ins' or 'one size must fit all as everyone are country bumpkins from the mountains'. It's about precision and integrated branding in the global economy. And .IN and .CN is about as good as you can get when looking for those huge identity springboards into Asia.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back