NameSilo

Why Icann fees are much more expensive for Dot net ?

Located in Domain Extensions, started by centreurope, Apr 4, 2020

Replies:
Views:

1. centreurope

centreurope Upgraded Member Gold Account ★★★★★★★★★★

Hello,
    any idea please why the ICANN fees for .net are 5 times higher than for .com?
    Also do you know any document that list ICANN fees for all extensions: nTLD, ccTLD, etc. ?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. Samer

Samer Top Contributor VIP Blue Account

Probably for the same reason it's 2 times more expensive to renew?

3. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent VIP Gold Account Trusted Blogger

I am pretty sure that the ICANN fee in USD is exactly the same $0.18.

This document shows the ICANN fee and the TLDs (at least a subset held by that registrar) that it applies to.

You are possibly confusing the fee charged by an ICANN-approved registrar with the ICANN fee (the latter goes directly to ICANN as a sort of tax). It does not depend on registrar or TLD as far as I know, except that not all TLDs are subject to it (see country-code below).

Registrars can charge whatever they want to register a domain name, although competition in most of the main TLDs keep prices at some registrars not that much above the wholesale price that the registrar pays to the registry.

I believe that currently (and until end of 2020) the wholesale price for .net is $9.77 plus the $0.18 USD additional ICANN fee. Registrars need at least some extra to break even, so retail prices would in a competitive market be expected to be a bit above this, so many charge in range $11 to $15 per year.

But there is in practice a huge range. Using this service, as of now the retail prices, without any discount, for .net renewal range from $8.95 to $56.00. Shop around!

Bob

PS Edit - realize did not answer your question re country code. Many country code have no ICANN fee at all, but I do not know a single place that provides that information for every country code in the world. One probably exists, I just don't know it.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
  4. centreurope

centreurope Upgraded Member Gold Account ★★★★★★★★★★

Many thanks Bob,
    I saw a different Icann fee for .net here:
    https://www.cloudflare.com/products/registrar/
    and thanks about the info for ccTLD
    It's surprising to build a comparator with all those crappy nTLD and no ccTLD. In Europe, gTLD are less and less attractive. Only dot com is resisting.

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent VIP Gold Account Trusted Blogger

Interesting. I have bought a few .net this year but at registrars with all-inclusive pricing so did not notice that the ICANN fee was different. Hopefully someone else can answer your question.

There are quite a few country code places at the three price comparison sites, and I think that the reason others are not is simply the number of covered registrars that handle that cc.

Bob

PS I tried adding a .net at two different registrars and both showed $0.18 for the ICANN fee. Maybe ask Cloudflare what the $0.93 ICANN fee is about.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!
Topics / Tags:
NameWorth
  1. NamePros uses cookies and similar technologies. By using this site, you are agreeing to our privacy policy, terms, and use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice