Dynadot

Why domainers are so cheap?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Hello,
I was really surprised about what happened to me recently. I had a domain which I got an lowball offer on flippa about 9 months ago.. It was a $30 from a domainer. I contacted him back and asked $100 (as a reseller price), but at the end we did not agree.
Yesterday, I was checking my domains expiration and noticed that domain was expired so I quickly renewed it. Within a few hours the same domainer made an offer on flippa again, but this time $20. IMO, it was clear, this domainer was waiting for the domain to expire and get it from the dynadot expired domain marketplace (the domain is registered at dynadot). This time I asked $200 just for fun as I'm sure it will not be sold.
Still, I don't understand, why wait 9 months to get the domain when the asking price was low, why domainers are so cheap?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Letting names expire can be risky but I sometimes play the "last minute" renewal game(25 days after expiry:xf.eek:...depending on the registrar) but I have had several times when I get offers/enquiries within a few days of renewing.
It seems they are watching for the drop/release hoping to get the name for reg fee or drop.

Nice, I did this unintentionally.

•••
•••
Why are domainers so cheap?

50% ignorance and 50% self preservation (in their best interest).

•••
If I'd want a name and I'm ready to invest $30 but the asking price is $100 I'd think about these possibilities :
- Move on
- invest $100, which is not that far from the asking price
- wait till I'm ready to invest
Also, I even asked $60 while negotiation.
That buyer waited for the domain to expire and after a few hours I renewed the domain, made an offer even lower than the first time.

If a domain is $30 worth to a buyer, $100 lets him buy 3 more domains of the same quality. He will increase his chance of selling by a factor of 4. He's a smart buyer.

The main reason the buyer doesn't give you $100 , rather $30 is because of his uncertainty on your domain. That's a normal buyer thinking.

I think along the same line as the buyer does. I don't think I'm cheap.
On the other hand, if the name is good, I'm willing to spend an extra few $k to get the name. And I did that in the past.

•••
If a domain is $30 worth to a buyer, $100 lets him buy 3 more domains of the same quality. He will increase his chance of selling by a factor of 4. He's a smart buyer.

The main reason the buyer doesn't give you $100 , rather $30 is because of his uncertainty on your domain. That's a normal buyer thinking.

I think along the same line as the buyer does. I don't think I'm cheap.
On the other hand, if the name is good, I'm willing to spend an extra few $k to get the name. And I did that in the past.
I don't think you would wait 9 months for the domain to expire, for a $30 value domain.

•••
$30 vs $100 equates to $70 in savings or an extra 7 years in renewals.

•••
I don't think you would wait 9 months for the domain to expire, for a $30 value domain.

The point i was trying to make was that the domain wasn't that desireable for the buyer.

9 months of is nothing if the domain is just one of a hundred of his other domains on his list.

That's what do too. I make a list of domains that i might buy for 30 or 50 bucks that the seller rejects. It stays on my list. Then, i make a note when the domain gets expired and follow when they will go to peding delete and what date it will drop. When the domain gets dropped, i reg them. If not, then it's no big deal. I got many other domains that I can buy.

Some times my initial evaluation of the domain can chage. When I really want the same domain much more than I originally did, then I go back to the owner and pay more for it. Or if that domain is dropping, I'd place back order on different drop catch platforms.

•••
The point i was trying to make was that the domain wasn't that desireable for the buyer.

9 months of is nothing if the domain is just one of a hundred of his other domains on his list.

That's what do too. I make a list of domains that i might buy for 30 or 50 bucks that the seller rejects. It stays on my list. Then, i make a note when the domain gets expired and follow when they will go to peding delete and what date it will drop. When the domain gets dropped, i reg them. If not, then it's no big deal. I got many other domains that I can buy.

Some times my initial evaluation of the domain can chage. When I really want the same domain much more than I originally did, then I go back to the owner and pay more for it. Or if that domain is dropping, I'd place back order on different drop catch platforms.
You waste a lot of time.

•••
You waste a lot of time.
Lol i don't see it that way.
A few short message. Then, mark it on calendar. Simple job.

•••
Because domainers think their domains are worth $100 when really its worth reg fee.
and they start dreaming for 4 to 5 figs even they know their domain is hardly 3 fig worth like me. ...

•••
I think there are many different ways to invest.
Some invest in a single domain they really believe in and will spend money on it whether it's $30 or $300 or they won't spend time at all. For this person, $30 or $100 won't matter because that's the energy and time they invest in and it's the domain they believe in.
For others, they want different names to spend $30 dollars on and they want to increase their chance by buying more names in that price range. For them, $30 for one domain $90 for 3 domains. So, you ask them to spend $100 for a $30 domain, they won't give it to you.

And then, there are those investors who won't was money buying $100 names. It's all about how much money you have and what your investment strategy is.

Some do all kinds of names at all different prices. I remember reading an article, was it on Frank Schilling, who bought like a thousand names on .xyz when the price was like $0.99 or $1.00 each. He also buys names at much higher price.
He does all sorts of names and involves different aspects of the domain business.

That said, I think we should open to different ways of dealings from others.
Why expect the buyer to bend your way, to your price, if he doesn't believe it.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back