IT.COM

discuss Why domain in Afternic DLS more expensive?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

omisu

Established Member
Impact
Hi guys,

I want to ask something, recently I have listed my .co domain at Afternic for $99. When I check it on GoDaddy the price is the same at $99. But when I check the name in other registrars the price is more expensive. For domain name brainimaging / co , at Dynadot it has price $1473 or at Epik, it has price $1693. Why is it like that and the difference is quite large.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Sound annoying what if want streamline prices

Samer

Last edited:
•••
Afternic has over 90 registrars as resellers, so it might happen the specific registrar can markup the price and sell it through their own platform with their own marketing efforts! They will pay $99 to afternic and take anything above that amount as their own commission. - well, that's just my personal guess.
You can email and ask them why there is the price difference.

•••
It is apparently listed on Sedo too, with a higher price. Apparently Dynadot and Epik are prioritizing the Sedo listing (probably because higher price = higher commission). You should contact Sedo to get it delivered.

Screenshot_20200715-103724_Firefox.jpg

Last edited:
•••
It is apparently listed on Sedo too, with a higher price. Apparently Dynadot and Epik are prioritizing the Sedo listing (probably because higher price = higher commission). You should contact Sedo to get it delisted.

“Contact Sedo to get it delisted.”

You make it sound so easy. It’s Sedo

Samer

Last edited:
•••
“Contact Sedo to get it delisted.”

You make it sound so easy. It’s Sedo. Lol

Samer

Never claimed it was easy....honestly it'd probably be easier, if you have a Sedo account, to list it there yourself you can auto verify ownership with a text record and then your listing will remove the old one once verified.

•••
Never claimed it was easy....honestly it'd probably be easier, if you have a Sedo account, to list it there yourself you can auto verify ownership with a text record and then your listing will remove the old one once verified.

i have a Sedo account;

i find the process cumbersome;

Last edited:
•••
i have a Sedo account;

i find the process cumbersome;

Really? How so? When I used Sedo I found it to be 1000 times better than Afternic's email us a screenshot and wait approach. I just setup a default DNS profile that automatically had my account's TXT record included so it automatically applied to each of my names than the process took a few minutes max after listing to become live once they verified the DNS record.

•••
Really? How so? When I used Sedo I found it to be 1000 times better than Afternic's email us a screenshot and wait approach. I just setup a default DNS profile that automatically had my account's TXT record included so it automatically applied to each of my names than the process took a few minutes max after listing to become live once they verified the DNS record.

I just dont find it user-friendly; I have yet to get past verification;

They make difficult than needs, especially to remove by previous owner. (Seem to be this case)

I think credit to you, @X7 Ryan; Hard use for me; Sedo refuse change

Last edited:
•••
I just dont find it user-friendly; I have yet to get past verification;

They make difficult than needs, especially to remove by previous owner. (Seem to be this case)

I think credit to you, @X7 Ryan; Hard use for me; Sedo refuse change
Sedo is too rigid. They aren't user friendly.

•••
Afternic will allow you to opt-out of marketplaces that do markups on your domains and I believe Sedo does not. This practice needs to go, like right now!

Any markups should be split in between the marketplace that sells and the owner, no exceptions.

•••
•••
Thank you for the answer, I have contacted sedo to remove the listing and give them the screenshot ownership proof.

Last edited:
•••
Back