IT.COM

Why Does DomainIncite Have Such a Hard-on for the .ORG Price Increases?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Impact
Every single day I wake up, get breakfast, check the iPhone Twitter feed, and just like clockwork there is Domain Incite/Kevin Murphy posting yet another extremely-slanted article on the proposed .ORG price increases and how great they are.

Today he takes a negative campaign angle and hammers a set of billion-dollar non-profits (+ detailing their individual finances), asking why can't they afford the higher .ORG prices and slamming them for having "such limited resources, indeed". Jesus, that's like saying electricity should be a million dollars a kilowatt-hour because Microsoft can afford it.

I have no information on the site's ancient history (only read it the past few years) - is it owned by ICANN or one of the .ORG shell companies that stand to profit from the price spikes? Does the site have a horse in this ICANN race?

Last edited:
•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
•••
•••
I innocently enough contacted the guy. Was looking to get a follow back via Twitter and the immediate response I got back was a F*** You!

Lol

I was going to pay for the promo on his Twitter but NEVERMIND.

Consequently I stopped following DomainIncite and can't wait till they make a wrong move. (Everyone does eventually) I'll gladly share that to my 18,000+ followers in LinkedIn.

But to be fair not before then.

•••
Also, he talks a lot of *#&% about NewTLD whilst advertising them on his site, lol!

•••
I innocently enough contacted the guy. Was looking to get a follow back via Twitter and the immediate response I got back was a F*** You!

I guess he's a real charmer, huh?

There are really only 2 primary reasons why anyone would champion higher.ORG prices, a) you absolutely despise domain investors or b) you have some kind of stake in seeing the ICANN proposal go forward, financial, professional, personal, etc.

Otherwise, isn't lower prices better for everyone else, especially for non-profits looking to do charitable deeds?

•••
Well, if you spend the majority of your time "reporting" about ICANN than it would be in ICANN's best interest to "butter up" the reporter and vice versa.....wink, wink.

•••
This was allowed for Verisign...
So Afilias wants the same...

•••
There are really only 2 primary reasons why anyone would champion higher.ORG prices, a) you absolutely despise domain investors or b) you have some kind of stake in seeing the ICANN proposal go forward, financial, professional, personal, etc.

Mr Recap,

I'm quite happy to address any concerns you might have.

Kindly point me to any examples you can find of me championing higher .org prices or saying removing the price caps would be great.

If you can find any (you won't) I will gladly issue a correction, because that's not what I think.

•••
Maybe you're too close to the situation and aren't understanding your overall tone in these articles. It's pretty obvious to me and others who I have asked to read the articles - there is a definite positive slant towards ICANN and their prince-increase supporters and a definite sneering attitude towards greedy billion-dollar non-profits and foolish domain investors who don't want to foot the potentially-unlimited .ORG bill.

Just look at the article titles and it's immediately clear what your stance is in each one, and if you can't see that, then perhaps you need to step back and ask an editor.

Non-Profits Worth $2.6 billion a Year Say .ORG Price Caps Should Stay

These People Support Scrapping .ORG Price Caps

ICA Rallies the Troops to Defeat .org Price Hikes. It Won’t Work

Non-coms Say .ORG Price Cap Should be RAISED

Please show me article titles where ICANN is negatively portrayed.in the same way you are targeting non-profits and domain investors, while highlighting, in a positive manner, non-profits and domain investors.

•••
Be honest, have you read the articles, or only the headlines?

If you can show me examples of things that I have written that show a positive slant towards the scrapping of the price caps and/or the raising of prices, we can discuss those sentences and I can explain what I have written.

Last edited:
•••
I wonder why you haven't linked to the other .org article I wrote recently, which has the headline ".org price anger comments top 3,000 as non-profits weigh in". Perhaps because it does not support your argument that I'm biased in favor of scrapping the caps? The story is almost exclusively quotes from non-profits and domainers protesting the proposal.

•••
Be honest, have you read the articles, or only the headlines?

If you can show me examples of things that I have written that show a positive slant towards the scrapping of the price caps and/or the raising of prices

I've read them all, and like I said, in a battle between two groups in the public eye, a slam on one (negative campaigning) is also viewed as a positive for the other, and there are lots of examples of you hammering on the non-ICANN/ICANN critics side.

That's clear bias in reporting, and you're far too good a writer to actually type something simplistic and damning as "I believe the ICANN price increases are an excellent idea and I fully support their proposal.", so please stop it right there. You're a good writer, so you do the same thing in much more inventive ways, like...

Outlining the operating budgets of some of the larger non-profits critical of ICANN, contrasting those with the frugal PIR's "fees are currently under $10 per domain per year.", and then after individually posting the 100's of millions each of these huge non-profits take in, ending with a smug "Limited resources indeed."

Hopefully you can see that as a tad unfair as a) 99.99% of non-profits never even sniff this kind of money and b) these "big charities" were obviously also speaking for the "little charities" without the extra time, money or manpower to speak for themselves.

•••
I wonder why you haven't linked to the other .org article I wrote recently, which has the headline ".org price anger comments top 3,000 as non-profits weigh in". .

Because that was more a clip-show article (with much of the content and opinions taken from other sources) and very little editorial commentary from you.

Even so, you still managed to sneak in:

"It’s probably worth noting that even under the existing 10% price increase limit, PIR would be able to raise its prices by almost $1 in the first year anyway."

Last edited:
•••
Domain investors are part of the domain name market. Domain investors are not the domain name market. Not taking this into account can lead to a kind of extreme focus on whether a move is good for a domain investor rather than the TLD. The registry's position is that it has to operate the TLD. It isn't there to simply serve the investment community.

The registries of the main legacy gTLDs (COM/NET/ORG/BIZ/INFO) have used discounting to drive registrations in their gTLDs. That means, in undiplomatic terms, that they have managed to attract some spammy registrations and some iffy websites. The .ORG registry made a decision last year to stop discounting. It has impacted the numbers of domain names in the TLD but it has increased the quality of usage in the TLD. Discounted registrations do not renew well if at all. They typically have a renewal rate that is linked to the discount. For heavy discounting, a 5% renewal rate is not unusual. With lighter discounting, it can rise to about 10% depending on the TLD.

Price increases have two effects. The first is that the registrants who don't want to lose their domain name have to pay them. If the increase is too much then people will start dropping their domain names. The other is that it makes the TLD less attractive to spammers and other bad actors who want a throwaway domain name. Most of these registrations shifted from the legacy gTLDs to the heavily discounted new gTLDs because it reduced the costs of these throwaway domain names to cents from Dollars.

As a group, domain name investors are not a major contributor to web usage and development in mature TLDs like .ORG. Investors invest. They rarely develop working websites. What registries like about them -- and it is a bit of a love/hate relationship -- is that investors keep renewing their domain names.

There is a domain name business beyond domain name investment. Domaincite is doing a good job of covering it and generally ends up taking flak from all sides.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Ooohhhhh!! Schnikey balls! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

FU!
FU!
FU!

it's on like Donkey Kong! Lol

•••
I've read them all, and like I said, in a battle between two groups in the public eye, a slam on one (negative campaigning) is also viewed as a positive for the other, and there are lots of examples of you hammering on the non-ICANN/ICANN critics side.

That's clear bias in reporting, and you're far too good a writer to actually type something simplistic and damning as "I believe the ICANN price increases are an excellent idea and I fully support their proposal.", so please stop it right there. You're a good writer, so you do the same thing in much more inventive ways, like...

Outlining the operating budgets of some of the larger non-profits critical of ICANN, contrasting those with the frugal PIR's "fees are currently under $10 per domain per year.", and then after individually posting the 100's of millions each of these huge non-profits take in, ending with a smug "Limited resources indeed."

Hopefully you can see that as a tad unfair as a) 99.99% of non-profits never even sniff this kind of money and b) these "big charities" were obviously also speaking for the "little charities" without the extra time, money or manpower to speak for themselves.

I say again that I do not support, nor have I expressed support for, the lifting of the price caps nor price increases in general. I say again that you have not provided a scrap of evidence that I do.

Just because I have not written a polemic against the proposal, does not mean I support it.

Just because I have no personal interest in the proposal, does not mean I support it.

Part of what I do on DI is point out hypocrisy, contradiction, and amusing irony. The "Incite" part of the brand is not accidental.

When organizations raking in tens/hundreds or thousands of millions of dollars a year, such as C-SPAN and National Geographic, complain that they (they themselves, not others of more frugal means) have "limited resources", I think that's a contradiction worth pointing out.

Fact is, what I've done over the last week is.

1) Report that ICA has a letter-writing campaign that raises "good, valid questions" about pricing in legacy gTLDs, but which is unlikely to persuade ICANN to change its mind because it comes from a single interest group.

2) Report that it's no longer an ICA-only campaign, as groups representing tens of thousands of non-profits weigh in.

3) Report an isolated incident of a group actually supporting the lifting of caps, including a link to Allemann's preemptive rebuttal.

4) Report the contradiction inherent in some extremely rich organizations pretending to be poor.

5) Report my genuine surprise that the very ICANN community group supposedly representing .org's target market (the NCSG) is actually not opposed to prices increases. And that that group itself actually suckles on the PIR teat.

6) Correct an article when it became apparent I'd got something wrong.

7) At every stage, provide links to the public comment period for those who wish to comment, with to-the-hour warnings about how close the deadline is.

8) Encourage readers to get in contact with me if they've found interesting comments supporting either side of the debate.

9) Repeatedly attempt, unsuccessfully so far, to get PIR itself to comment on the controversy.

What you infer from the fact that I haven't followed the pack and posted a long, outraged rant about how I support price caps, is your business. I simply say your inferences are incorrect.

A reader could easily infer from my coverage that I'm subtly aiding ICA's cause. (other than privately swapping links to interesting comments with Zak, that would also be incorrect).

As I'm sure you know, I'm not shy about sharing my opinion on DI, if I have one I think is worth sharing. If and when I form a strong opinion about this story, I'm sure you'll be among the first to read it.

Thanks for being a reader.

Last edited:
•••
I guess he's a real charmer, huh?

Kevin should post the emails he sent me last week --- a real charmer indeed!

•••
Price increases have two effects. The first is that the registrants who don't want to lose their domain name have to pay them. If the increase is too much then people will start dropping their domain names. The other is that it makes the TLD less attractive to spammers and other bad actors who want a throwaway domain name.

Actually, in addition those spurious "benefits" (sounding like they're lifted straight from a ISOC/PIR press release) the proposed "unlimited .ORG pricing plan" will have many other effects, such as:

a) putting a ton of money into the coffers of ISOC and PIR, neither of which are registrars (Afilias is) and PIR was not even selected to administer the .ORG name space, while potentially giving less money (through even lower registry fees at the next contract) to those who do the actual heavy lifting.

b) costing non-profits a lot more to run their charities, especially those with multiple .ORG names, as well as the worry of rampant and random price spikes going forward. Non-profits require consistency, not some yahoos running around with a blank check.

c) potentially allow ISOC/PIR to be "domain scalpers" and institute "premium pricing" on buying top .ORG domains, some of which today can run 5-6-figures (many @ reg costs per renewal) on the new gTLD registries. If a charity inadvertently drops a valuable .ORG, get ready to empty your bank account, as even the UDRP can't save you.

d) costing domain investors more in renewal fees for their long-held .ORG domains, as well as the specter of "premium pricing" being enacted and prices really spiking to unheard of levels.

e) the potential to "domain scalp" directly against the existing domain marketplace for "premium" .ORG domains, leaving the poor non-profits getting squished in the middle with no low-cost option at all. Right now I can hand-register some good .ORGs, but giving PIR an unlimited ability to set registration prices, that may come to a screeching halt.

I recommend everyone read this well-researched article, if only to understand the roles of ICANN, ISOC, PIR, and Afilias in this whole sordid affair, as there is a lot more going on here:

https://domainnamewire.com/2019/04/24/how-icann-uses-the-org-registry-to-fund-the-internet-society/

Last edited:
•••
Just putting this out there... make of it what you will.

As I noted above, I've been bugging PIR for comment on these price caps for days.

I wanted its side of the story.

Got nothing but "hold on, we're working on a statement" types of replies.

Finally today, PIR put out its statement.

But it did so during exactly the window I was on stage at a conference at a hotel in London, being interviewed by a chap from MarkMonitor in front of an audience of 80-90 people, with no access to the internet whatsoever.

I believe that this was very probably a coincidence, but it really boiled my piss regardless.

If I was in bed with PIR, they would have at least given me the scoop.

•••
Actually, in addition those spurious "benefits" (sounding like they're lifted straight from a ISOC/PIR press release) the proposed "unlimited .ORG pricing plan" will have many other effects, such as:
I was explaining in simple terms how the domain name business, rather than Domaining operates. Registries don't think like you. They have to run TLDs. Some of them do so well and some of them do not. My view of TLDs is different to yours because I track the statistics of TLDs, measure web usage in TLDs and have to understand the dynamics of each TLD's market.

If you only read articles with which you agree, you will get a very narrow view of things. It is better to read articles from all sides of the argument and that way you will understand what others think.

Price caps do offer registrants a level of stability in TLDs. Removing them can provide the registry of a declining TLD the opportunity to sweat the assets. The prices as they are now in .ORG do provide a bulwark against the kind of abuse seen in some of the worst new gTLDs. Allowing the removal of these price caps will cause problems because it will eventually spread to .COM TLD.

The .ORG is a relatively healthy TLD in terms of usage. Increasing the prices will negatively impact the number of registered domains. Drastically increasing prices will backfire on the registry because of the increasing visibility of ccTLDs. Like most TLDs, the actual usage and development rate in .ORG is lower than the number registered domain names. It has a reputation of being a higher quality TLD than .NET or some of the new gTLDs. The prices of premium domain names in .ORG are linked to that. Removing price caps could hit confidence in the TLD and registrants would be waiting to see if the renewal fees for their registrations will increase. In the long term, it would not be surprising to see a kind of variation on the domain name lifecycle aimed at reserving good domain names as premiums rather than having them go to auction by registrars who interrupt that process by sending domain names to their tied auction website. But that's a different topic.

Regards...jmcc

•••
Click Bait Headlines Incite Strong Debate!

•••
I recently read in full all articles on this topic @DomainIncite. It seems to me that Kevin has presented several sides in this debate. While most effective writers have personal views on most subjects, and while Kevin has devoted more space to those who favour removing caps than most (all?) of the other domaining bloggers, and I can see how from that @DomainRecap might reasonably feel it is slanted (even though I do not agree). I have been impressed for some time with @DomainIncite detailed and timely coverage of topics in the domaining world, and I think we are fortunate to have his voice in the domain community.

@jmcc wisely said the following, which is I think a message we all must take to heart.
If you only read articles with which you agree, you will get a very narrow view of things.
We don't need to agree with everything we read, but it is better to listen to various points on a subject. Even though my own position is that the .org cap removal would be wrong (and I wrote to ICANN expressing that view), I do feel that it is important to be informed on both sides.

Bob

•••
If you only read articles with which you agree, you will get a very narrow view of things.

That is NOT the same thing as writer bias, and I think you know that.

I have nothing against differing points of views, as long as it's presenting fairly and without a biased slant, but when someone takes cheap potshots at charities (by itemizing the donations of the top non-profits and afterwards insults them for being cheap), then posts "pros/cons of .ORG price increases" straight from an ICANN press release (ie. there are no cons), that clears things up for me pretty quickly.

A lot of you guys are just sugar-coating it to "get along" and I fully understand that, but it's just not me.

•••
Mr Recap.

I have not posted pros/cons of .org price increases.
That is NOT the same thing as writer bias, and I think you know that.

I have nothing against differing points of views, as long as it's presenting fairly and without a biased slant, but when someone takes cheap potshots at charities (by itemizing the donations of the top non-profits and afterwards insults them for being cheap), then posts "pros/cons of .ORG price increases" straight from an ICANN press release (ie. there are no cons), that clears things up for me pretty quickly.

A lot of you guys are just sugar-coating it to "get along" and I fully understand that, but it's just not me.

It seems that you have a big problem with my post about vastly wealthy non-profits lying about how much money they have. How come?

•••