NameSilo

Why does 1&1 suck so much?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

brandnow

Selling hotcakesTop Member
Impact
I mean the prices are usually good on domains. They always have great sales. But man.. I just don't understand why 1&1 can allow themselves to make the same billing errors over and over and over and over and over. As soon as I open a Better Business Bureau dispute.. and I get a resolution about 1&1's billing errors.. just a few months later.. the exact same thing happens again. And they are charging me twice for the same domains that I already paid for four months ago.

I know the obvious answer should be "don't use 1&1." Normally I try not to use them. But when I see they have a good sale or pre-registration for a new extension domain name I need (it's good to register at more than one registrar) it's hard to avoid. I just CANNOT UNDERSTAND how 1&1 is allowed to conduct business like this. There should be some kind of private lawsuit in the works or some kind of government agency investigation into 1&1's billing practices. I just don't understand how 1&1 has been doing this for years with millions (probably) of billing mistakes and yet 1&1 doesn't correct it.. and no government agencies in the EU or US step in. Ridiculous.

/end rant

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Don't use 1&1 :)

Had a couple of names there a few years ago that I decided to let go. Oh boy, was that a headache. You had to go to some special cancellation url to cancel renew. Of couse, you could do it from the normal dashboard, except it didn't really cancel it then. The most creative part was that in this special cancellation dashboard, you had to manually scroll right to locate the cancel button. Shady.

•••
Because they can.

Because people complain about them but then say things like "I mean the prices are usually good on domains. They always have great sales."

Cheap isn't cheap if it wastes your time - unless your time is worthless to you.

•••
Had similar problems with Crazy Domains. They took hours to verify PayPal payments, and if I wanted to change something or ask a question, in the best case they took ages to reply with an unhelpful cut-and-paste answer, and in the worst case they just didn't bother to reply at all.

This was all just my personal experience with them, it may differ for others.

•••
Don't use 1&1 :)

Had a couple of names there a few years ago that I decided to let go. Oh boy, was that a headache. You had to go to some special cancellation url to cancel renew. Of couse, you could do it from the normal dashboard, except it didn't really cancel it then. The most creative part was that in this special cancellation dashboard, you had to manually scroll right to locate the cancel button. Shady.

I heard about this. I have not gotten to the renewal time yet. That will be next year. Already dreading having to figure this out. Thanks for some tips on what to expect.

I started this thread because I don't understand the billing errors. Surely, the same billing "errors" are not supposed to occur over and over and over and over again? I mean, at some point, if 1&1 were a legitimate business doing legitimate business transactions, then certainly they would need to fix the same "errors." I cannot understand how the same errors keep happening so many times. And no government agency has stepped in to investigate what is happening over at 1&1. Perhaps I need to start reaching out to government agencies. Well, after I get my billing errors resolved with 1&1. I may also start contacting lawyers as I sense this is a widespread problem on a massive scale with 1&1.

•••
And do any 1&1 employees ever read these threads on Namepros? Maybe at least I can get my issues resolved. Thanks

•••
Jaw-dropping dude, police?, government officials? why you do this to yourself?

You don't need multiple registrars, you need multiple accounts my friend.

I have used Godaddy exclusively since 2004 with thousands of transactions, never looked back or had any problems except all those domain name promo codes for a buck or two make my fingers sore typing them in all the time.

Press #4 for billing, done.

•••
There are a lot of threads here on NP about 1&1
No matter what the cost; get out as soon as you can, or risk loosing your domain names, and your money.

Regards

Ralph.

•••
how come a company this lousy get to be this big?

•••
And do any 1&1 employees ever read these threads on Namepros? Maybe at least I can get my issues resolved. Thanks
Yes, they do prowl the forums but they won't say anything.

I had one admit to me on the phone that he was a member here but he didn't want to be associated with 1&1 here so he wouldn't give his ID. He did say some things about the forum that made me believe what he was saying BC he seemed to know this site well.

The reason they do what they do is simply because they can! There are more and more people buying domains and seeing their huge marketing BS campaigns for their $.99 domain specials and those people will buy.

Many people buy a domain and never leave their original registrar and that's what they are looking for.

Their billing BS is just so they can hold on to your money a bit longer. Some people just get frustrated with transfers, billing, etc. and say "Screw it" and just stay with them to avoid headache.

1&1 doesn't want domainers, they want the average Joe who thinks they need a website to get rich or just wants something set up for their home town plumbing, accounting or whatever business.

There are so many people buying domains from them that they are thinking, "What does it matter if we lose a small %, we will keep the rest"!

Last edited:
•••
1and1 is worst registrar I have ever dealt with, they have pathetic support, they are not ready to answer.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back