Dynadot

Why do some still say unlimited?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch
Hi guys,
Still there some people who are offering unlimited diskspace, bandwidth ? When it's impossible why do they claim this?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Most web hosts forum just ban those threads now.

And anyone who knows a bit about web hosting knows never to go with those hosts.

•••
Yes, but they're counting on the steady stream of neophytes (read noobs) in the industry that fall for it.

•••
Well Unlimited Webspace isn't possible. But Unlimited Bandwidth is too some degree, with a 20MB/s Connection you could churn out some serious bandwidth, but things might slowdown with too many connections.

•••
Right no such thing of course, however, company's can add new hard drives if ever needed. I think that is the claim that most of these company's claim.
as long as you follow the policies we will continue to upgrade.

•••
they do it because they think people will never fill a 80gb hdd or max out a 100mpbs lan card.

•••
priyanka[imported said:
] Hi guys,
Still there some people who are offering unlimited diskspace, bandwidth ? When it's impossible why do they claim this?
That's just how it is in business, they want to get customers. "Unemetered" would be a more specific term for this, but they probably do start charging you extra after you have started using alot of bandwidth/space.

•••
like its said
its a good gimmick and gamble

99% of those that go for unlimited will Never, never reach the limit
because they are newbies! ( most professional webmasters avoided them).

mostly likely they dont even have a site or just starting out...so traffic is minimal and should the sites dramatically increase in traffic after one year ...webhoster can always increase their charge!!!

so all in all it a "good' deal

hosters get their customers and clients hav a nice feeling of having unlimited everything!!!!100000000000000000g nband width!;)

•••
I think it's more of a marketing gimmick. As Hellfear pointed out, "Unmetered" would be the correct term, however, how many times have you heard Red Lobster offering "unmetered" shrimp for $9.99! Most people know what unlimited means, and that's why the term is still used in advertising, IMHO

•••
hmmm... Maybe we should test Out an account on one of them, totally pound it with crap, then when we run out, ask for our money back :hehe:

•••
Jiblob said:
hmmm... Maybe we should test Out an account on one of them, totally pound it with crap, then when we run out, ask for our money back :hehe:

ive seen it done, someone offered unlimted disk space what not for some really cheap price

3 or 4 people signed up, started uploading downloads from fileplanet and full linux distros, we maxed out the server, pulling to our servers at 5mpbs - 20mpbs + and uploading 4gb mysql databases etc, hammered the server

didnt last a week

•••
really?? haha!

When you think about it though, when they say unlimited, they mean that they will upgrade or increase the server size if you are in need of more space I suppose. Maybe you have to ask them, and they will :bingo:

•••
Jiblob said:
really?? haha!

When you think about it though, when they say unlimited, they mean that they will upgrade or increase the server size if you are in need of more space I suppose. Maybe you have to ask them, and they will :bingo:

we didnt get the chance!! the host shut us down because they said "we where hosting illegal files" yeh of course a free linux os is really illegal, i think one of the files hosted was a 1.6gb update for some game which we got via fileplanet.

•••
Unlimited bandwidth and space just does not exist... end of story!

•••
Best way to test for unlimited bandwith, dump a linux distro or 2 on there and let everyone dl off you. They may cap you at like 20kbs though. Or try uploading a ton of huge files to max out space and see what they can really give you. Once I dumped around 8 CDs before they said they couldn't give me more space.

Last edited:
•••
Most unlimited/unmetered bandwidth providers do a bandwidth capping where your downloads can only go at a specific speed. Sometimes this is IP Throttled or for dedicated servers, they limit at the port.

For unlimited space, well, I know our hard drives do not automaticly expand to the needs of what we want, so I do not know how they do that.

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back