Dynadot

information Why do Chinese website commonly have numbers in their domains?

NameSilo
Watch

budindia

Impact
There are multiple reasons to these. Below is one of the prominent one I feel the reason behind Chinese going after numbers in website domains -

1. Hindu-Arabic are native to Chinese, but Latin character is not. Hindu-Arabic is everywhere in China, restaurant menu price, car plate, room number, floor number.

2. Number is much easier to pick than Latin character on keyboard. Chinese don't have history of typewriter, and Latin character is arranged irregularly on QWERTY keyboard. How many seconds would take to pick the Latin character he want for a new beginner? 5 seconds or more, one character.

3. Numbers are much easier to communicate verbally. Numbers are pronounced very short in Chinese. On the other hand, latin character have 2 different pronunciation system in China. "e" is pronounced as [ə:] in Chinese Pinyin, but it is pronounced as [i:] in English. Both Chinese and English were taught in Chinese primary school. I prefer to use English pronunciation, but my mother prefer Pinyin.

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back