Dynadot

domains Why Did a Kansas City Dealership Pay $3,695 for a $10 Domain Name?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

Lox

____Top Member
Impact
We want our name to reflect what we are about," said co-owner Dustin Stock. "We offer a complete solution: vehicles, financing, insurance, and maintenance all in one place."

It's important to note that Complete Autos owners paid this high fee for a domain name, not a website. Many domain names can be purchased on places such as GoDaddy for as little as $10. Domain names with broad and generic terms can sell for crazy amounts of money. For example: Whiskey.com sold for $3.1 million in 2014. More recently, Super.com sold for $1.2 million in February this year.

read more ( prenewswire)

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
They did it so they could get a bunch of backlinks from a press release :P

•••
Paid premium for a hyphenated domain name, and launched a PR Campaign to pump it up!

•••
Paid premium for a hyphenated domain name, and launched a PR Campaign to pump it up!

Hyphenated? Don't see no hyphen there.

•••
Hyphenated? Don't see no hyphen there.

I saw hyphen earlier in the press release. It has been fixed since, or maybe it was the mobile version!

•••
I saw hyphen earlier in the press release. It has been fixed since, or maybe it was the mobile version!

Cheers. I was doubting myself but now I can cancel my appointment with my optician as there seems to be nothing wrong with my eyes :)

•••
The new domain name has changed from DriveHomeHappyNow.com to www.CompleteAutos.com.

Good name change, imo.

This is just a PR move by the dealership, but I like it because it makes the domain aftermarket look good. (y)

•••
The title of the article is horrible. They didn't pay $3695 for a $10 domain. They paid $3695 for a $3695 domain that could bring them many times their investment.

I like the new name. Would have been better without the "s". By the way, GD automated valuation has the domain at $2,107.

Sounds like a win/win.

•••
They did it so they could get a bunch of backlinks from a press release :P

I've pitched several times to potential buyers.

Buy a domain for a high price.
Pay to have a third party talk about the purchase via Press Release.
You are not "buying" a domain.
You are buying free exposure via backlinks.

•••
Great name, I like the upgrade, fair price, for a decent name, win win.

•••
I think they should have kept
DriveHomeHappyNow.com

;)

•••
Back