NameSilo

Why buy a lifetime domain but need a hosting site?

Labeled as question in Domain Beginners started by ashhok, May 15, 2019 at 5:17 AM.

Replies:
Views:

1. ashhok

ashhok New Member

Hi guys. I am not computer smart. I bought a lifetime domain from a website for few hundred bucks for my business. I never used it to design a website, however the hosting was expiring so I transferred it to siteground to host it. it is now expiring even though I have no website displaying under it, does that mean after the hosting expires I will also lose the ownership of my domain? I do not understand this at all? why buy a lifetime domain but need a hosting site regardless if you have an active website or not?

The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
  2. wwwweb

wwwweb Top Member VIP

You should have never transferred it out, as only that company would provide the renewal service.

3. ashhok

ashhok New Member

so does that mean if I do not renew the hosting with siteground I lose the ownership of my domain completely and money wasted?

4. CJ6

CJ6 My favorite movies are too offensive now. Whimps. VIP

Your domain can be at a registry such as Epik. (Was it Epik that you bought it at? I know they have lifetime domains.)

Your hosting...who hosts the website can be at SiteGround while your domain is at Epik.

Did you actually transfer the domain from your registrar? (Where you bought the lifetime domain)

I am trying to understand the current situation.

No, you should not lose your domain, I would think. You may lose your website if you do not pay for hosting.

Last edited: May 15, 2019 at 2:00 PM
  5. IMEZI

IMEZI Top Member VIP ★★★★★★★★★★

lifetime? tha's only marketing gimmick, you were only get lifetime domain if you were renewing the hosting service

6. CJ6

CJ6 My favorite movies are too offensive now. Whimps. VIP

Epik provides it. Im not exactly sure how it works, though.

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes formerly MetBob NameTalent VIP

Perhaps good to tag @Rob Monster so lifetime domain registration is explained.
    As others have said hosting and domain registration are separate. You should not have transferred out your domain from where the lifetime is. Your hosting you can buy wherever you want, and just set the DNS for the domain according to where your hosting is. It sounds like you transferred the domain which I fear ends the lifetime registration, but will let Rob respond. It was at Epik?
    I hope it works out for you.
    Bob

Want to reply or ask your own question?

It only takes a minute to sign up – and it's free!