IT.COM

discuss Why .app when we have app stores?

Spaceship Spaceship
Watch

FavourB

Established Member
Impact
Hi everyone,

This question is mainly thrown to the veterans and those who have long time history with domains, i believe from there experience they can render some explanation, not like the owe we the newbie any:smug:, but out of curiosity i just wish to know why the .app extension was created.

1&half years into the industry and it still makes no sense to me:banghead::banghead:

So please why .app when we have various app stores?

•••
The views expressed on this page by users and staff are their own, not those of NamePros.
Not a veteran by any means (only 1 year into domaining myself) but I could think of a few reasons.

1) Many apps are cross-platform meaning they exist in multipule app stores, I could see having a simple site explaining the app, linking to it on all the app stores it is in.

2) Hosting FAQ's, support tickets, or just plain email like support@ (appname).app

3) Mostly only android here as iOS blocks sideloading but some apps don't have a presence in the app store to get around their commissions, rules, ect. Fortnight is a common example here.

That said, I personally don't see any value in .app for investing purposes.

Last edited:
•••
Google failed with .mobi startup in the past...
So this is their 2nd attempt...

•••
Not a veteran by any means (only 1 year into domaining myself) but I could think of a few reasons.

1) Many apps are cross-platform meaning they exist in multipule app stores, I could see having a simple site explaining the app, linking to it on all the app stores it is in.

2) Hosting FAQ's, support tickets, or just plain email like support@ (appname).app

3) Mostly only android here as iOS blocks sideloading but some apps don't have a presence in the app store to get around their commissions, rules, ect. Fortnight is a common example here.

That said, I personally don't see any value in .app for investing purposes.

Good points stated here......is now beginning to make sense to me but still not for investing purpose:xf.grin:

•••
Google failed with .mobi startup in the past...
So this is their 2nd attempt...
I think .mobi has more value than .app, like i can understand .mobi can represent the mobile version of a software, like flashscore.mobi and all of that, but .app hell no:xf.smile:

Google is gonna loose there second attempt, lets watch out for the 3rd.

•••
I think .mobi has more value than .app, like i can understand .mobi can represent the mobile version of a software, like flashscore.mobi and all of that, but .app hell no:xf.smile:

Google is gonna loose there second attempt, lets watch out for the 3rd.

I disagree about mobile, its about as useless as well you can imagine something pretty useless here.

Websites now all use responsive design, 1 site that adjusts to work equally as well on mobile as it does on desktop. Its use case has long since gone away.

Also Google already has their #3 .dev

•••
I disagree about mobile, its about as useless as well you can imagine something pretty useless here.

Websites now all use responsive design, 1 site that adjusts to work equally as well on mobile as it does on desktop. Its use case has long since gone away.

Also Google already has their #3 .dev

Wow that's also true, i almost picked LiveRoullete.mobi but someone beat me to it, now i feel relaxed:xf.grin:

I guess .dev is still gonna go down the drain.

so our safest bet remains .com and .com?(y)

•••
.com is kind, and will probably always be.

However good .coms are becoming harder to find, and more expensive, making room for an alternate TLD IMO.

Personally I am quite bullish on .io and to a lesser extent on .co as good alternate extensions. They key with those IMO is to get the killer 1 word names, 3l's that make senese as an acronym (not something like ZWQ) and for .io tech and particular development related terms.

•••
.com is kind, and will probably always be.

However good .coms are becoming harder to find, and more expensive, making room for an alternate TLD IMO.

Personally I am quite bullish on .io and to a lesser extent on .co as good alternate extensions. They key with those IMO is to get the killer 1 word names, 3l's that make senese as an acronym (not something like ZWQ) and for .io tech and particular development related terms.

yeah i believe in .co and .io is currently bullish for this duo, but am still scared on this two currently i have sold only 1.co for small XXX and i don't have any .io as i don't really know what works on that extension, but i believe in .us and i am investing into .us on a slow motion, weird right?:xf.grin:

•••
yeah i believe in .co and .io is currently bullish for this duo, but am still scared on this two currently i have sold only 1.co for small XXX and i don't have any .io as i don't really know what works on that extension, but i believe in .us and i am investing into .us on a slow motion, weird right?:xf.grin:

Ya personally short term I don't expect much from them but long term as really good .coms become more scarce and more expensive i expect they are good extensions to replace it with top tier name. Biggest problem is carrying costs. Personally I kinda feel like they are todays equivalent to .com in the 90s

•••
Ya personally short term I don't expect much from them but long term as really good .coms become more scarce and more expensive i expect they are good extensions to replace it with top tier name. Biggest problem is carrying costs. Personally I kinda feel like they are todays equivalent to .com in the 90s

Aside from this extensions what other extensions do you believe in?

•••
I chose .app for an app (versus WP .com etc). Also, it came with free SSL for the domain.

•••
Aside from this extensions what other extensions do you believe in?

I think .org can work in some cases. But you have to realize the buyer is likely going to be a non profit and won't pay as much as a for profit business. But if you can get a good deal on a quality name I think it can be worth it.

I've also tried .net but never really had any luck with it. I havent really tried anything else. Not really too much of a fan of new gtlds. Unless your using it as opposed to the exact match 2 word .com ie home.loans instead of homeloans.com

•••
I think .org can work in some cases. But you have to realize the buyer is likely going to be a non profit and won't pay as much as a for profit business. But if you can get a good deal on a quality name I think it can be worth it.

I've also tried .net but never really had any luck with it. I havent really tried anything else. Not really too much of a fan of new gtlds. Unless your using it as opposed to the exact match 2 word .com ie home.loans instead of homeloans.com

Yeah that's true, i see lot of .org sales this days, .net has never been my thing (n), but it works for some

•••
Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) are replacing native apps, and .app is the only extension that best matches PWAs.

•••
Progressive Web Apps (PWAs) are replacing native apps, and .app is the only extension that best matches PWAs.

I think i need to research on PWAs, thanks for the headup

•••

All the PWAs I've seen are on the company's .com such as app.company.com would be interesting to see if that changes. I bet it will be another m.company.com vs company.mobi

•••
Hi everyone,

This question is mainly thrown to the veterans and those who have long time history with domains, i believe from there experience they can render some explanation, not like the owe we the newbie any:smug:, but out of curiosity i just wish to know why the .app extension was created.

1&half years into the industry and it still makes no sense to me:banghead::banghead:

So please why .app when we have various app stores?
.app was designed to replace .com as the number 1 extension on the web, but it fell short and the registry was seriously considering removing the .app extension all together. All we can do is hope .ecom will come out soon to replace .com as this is the e-commerce age and .com makes less sense then .ecom. .APP is unlikely to take off it is more likely in the near future that apps will replace domains.

•••
All the PWAs I've seen are on the company's .com such as app.company.com would be interesting to see if that changes. I bet it will be another m.company.com vs company.mobi

Could you please show us some examples of using app.company.com for PWAs?

From my understanding, companies don't need subdomains (e.g. app.company.com) for PWAs because websites will be automatically switched to PWA mode when users visit the websites by mobile phones or tablets. They just simply need a domain name for PWAs. Although it is not a must for companies to have .app for PWAs, .app is the one that best matches PWAs among all domain extensions.

•••
Have you guys looked at adoption? Of all ngTLDs I would venture to say .app is the most natural fit if not the most used.

It's tricky for domainers, Google is playing this one right, there are premiums on great keywords which keeps the names cycling, but the premiums aren't insane like some Donuts names, and they aren't holding "platinum" names back.

I've personally done quite well with .app names and remain a believer. As to why it makes sense when we already have app stores, well, it's ultimately about autonomy. Owning a domain name as opposed to owning a social media handle or a name in an appstore gives you a lot more control and ownership over your brand.

app was designed to replace .com as the number 1 extension on the web, but it fell short and the registry was seriously considering removing the .app extension all together.

How did you come up with this @Daniel Owens ?

Last edited:
•••
•••
Could you please show us some examples of using app.company.com for PWAs?

I didnt mean app. literally, but just that they use a subdomain rather than a separate domain. Spotify does this for the web version of their player at open.spotify.com

•••
I didnt mean app. literally, but just that they use a subdomain rather than a separate domain. Spotify does this for the web version of their player at open.spotify.com

You said all the PWAs you have seen are on subdomain .com, but the Spotify example you gave is not a PWA.

•••
You said all the PWAs you have seen are on subdomain .com, but the Spotify example you gave is not a PWA.

Yeah that's true Spotify.app sold for huge figure, got me wondering why the had to spend so much of that when the already gained enough audience and have there app or several app store, is all confusing as to why the did so.

•••
Have you guys looked at adoption? Of all ngTLDs I would venture to say .app is the most natural fit if not the most used.

It's tricky for domainers, Google is playing this one right, there are premiums on great keywords which keeps the names cycling, but the premiums aren't insane like some Donuts names, and they aren't holding "platinum" names back.

I've personally done quite well with .app names and remain a believer. As to why it makes sense when we already have app stores, well, it's ultimately about autonomy. Owning a domain name as opposed to owning a social media handle or a name in an appstore gives you a lot more control and ownership over your brand.

How did you come up with this @Daniel Owens ?

I'm happy you see the opportunity many of us don't do, so what would you advice to look out for before picking this extension, there are many great names left to be picked up, how do you siphone the valuable ones?

•••
  • The sidebar remains visible by scrolling at a speed relative to the page’s height.
Back